Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I second what Riverdale just said Barb! You have always been so supportive of me and others on here. I wish you strength and courage for the future no matter what it holds. You know we will all be here for you.
(5)

Barb, I really compliment you on hitting this head on. So many people faced with similar concerns and signs avoid, deny, or otherwise don’t want to face what they’re seeing. You’re doing a wonderful job looking out for the both of you. Wishing you the best
(4)

Barb,
Just like the full moon, my husband's cognitive decline waxes and wanes.
It is those moments when he is more himself that I understand his diagnosis does not make him who he is now.

I hope the best for you both.
(4)

Thanks to you all. I TOTALLY missed my mom's cognitive decline (wrote it off to getting older, depression, anxiety) so am determined not to avoid seeing this again.)

I am determined to
A. Simplify what am saying (I am frequently discursive)
B. Speak more slowly.
C. Get his attention before I speak.
D. Get us both to hearing professionals.

Signing off for now.
(8)

Ahhh Barb, the best to you. Hope all goes as well as it can. Hugs
(2)

Barb (((((hugs))))). You are doing all the right things. I am sure what you are going through is on the minds of many here. As always look after yourself - build in supports and breaks for you. I am so sorry you and hub are facing this.
(4)

Barb, I'm so sorry to see that there is some cognitive decline going on. I read this at Alz.org

"In some individuals, MCI reverts to normal cognition or remains stable. In other cases, such as when a medication causes cognitive impairment, MCI is mistakenly diagnosed. It is important that people experiencing cognitive changes seek help as soon as possible for diagnosis and possible treatment."

Since your DH's CT scan was clear that is good. I imagine you have been very on top of this, but have they looked at his meds, or any other possible conditions that could be contributing to this? I remember you saying your doc of 35 years said he has a bunch of risk factors(?) -- can any of those be addressed or treated?

Also I think your plan- A to D, is all good. Also stepping back and letting him figure things out, also good.

How are YOU feeling, emotionally? I'm glad you got back into therapy, and we are also all here to help and support you.

I know one thing, your DH is certainly in good hands with you, and I'm sure he will thrive much better because of it. I will be keeping you in my prayers that your DH is one of those case the Alz.org talked about that reverts to normal or remains stable.

Huge hug to you Barb
(2)

Barb, I know that you are all too aware of the terrible possibilities attached to this but I want to share that my uncle's MCI never really progressed beyond "mild" before he died.
(3)

CW, thanks for that reminder. I don't think my mom's MCI progressed at all before she had a massive stroke that tipped her into Vasc. Dementia territory.

Iggie, DH has had an interesting medical hx.

When I met him, he had been divorced for 15 years, living a not very healthy life from a dietary perspective.

Had lots of headaches which he thought were migraines. Took OTC meds by the handful (literally). Got him to my doc and as I suspected, he had uncontrolled high blood pressure, which was quickly brought under control, but who knows what the vascular damage was from years of that not being addressed.

Discovered to have a leaking aortic valve and about-to-dissect aortic aneurysm; that got fixed, but not sure how much hypoxia there was before it was dxed and the 6 hours of surgery (they basically lower your body temperture to close to freezing to slow everything down) certainly didn't do him any good--except that the surgery saved his life, of course.

He's on blood thinners, bp meds, seroquel for sleep, a couple of heart meds. He's got a wonderful PCP who acts as the "orchestra conductor" and monitors all. I've known our doc for almost 40 years; he is a terrific diagnostician who knows when to refer out

His mom had dementia. No one seems to know what kind. His dad died at 40 from a heart attack and we know nothing about that part of the family.

Right now, we are just keeping on keeping on. Will update as needed.

Thank you all so much for your support!!
(3)

Thanks for the update Barb. It's really good that you got him to your doctor when you did all those years ago, getting his BP under control probably prevented a stroke, and the aneurysm, whew! Close call but thankfully that's repaired. If he is compliant with his meds then he could remain stable, as many do. My mom was NOT med compliant, hence the stroke and road to vascular dementia. I don't know why I asked that question, of course he is compliant, he is married to you Lol.

I think your attitude is good- just keeping on!

Still going to keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs!
(3)

You guys are so good for me!

You know, I don't monitor his many meds. Fell into that trap with my first husband; whenever I got sick or had a baby, he'd have seizures because I wasn't around to remind him--and this was a perfectly competent young person!

I am backing away and letting DH figure things out for himself right now. It seems to be working.

Stay tuned!!
(5)

I just know everyone in your orbit is so fortunate you are there for them.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter