Follow

I need to care for my family financialy as well as care for my mom. I am unable to work outside the home because my mom is not able to be home alone for more than a max of 2hrs at a time. My mom will not have anything to do with Adult day care or an outsider coming in to stay with her. I also have a 7yr old son at home and paying for daycare is not possible.
Are there any programs that would pay me for caring for my mom? Or does anyone know of a "real" work from home job? Everything I've checked into requires me to pay money up front in order to be able to "work" for the company.
I'd appreciate any advice you might have.
Thanks
LynnD

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Lnn d , iam in the same situation did you get any help?, i stoped working.. and have no income. iwas wondering if i could get some sort of compensation for bieng his care giver?
(0)

Cat-
No wonder people like you!

I plan to build web sites and sell them to stores. I'd be happy to journal it here... maybe that will help me build initiative.

At least some of what I have to say will be relevant to other people here.

For instance, do you know you can make arrangements with companys to put their logo on your site? Any time someone visits your web page and clicks the logo, that company will pay you... pennies only, but if you do it right those pennies add up.

An example of how you can use this: suppose a person has a hobby of -- well, any hobby will do, so lets say their hobby is battle re-enactments. They can't imagine any way to make money out of tbattle re-enactments.. but there is. I would tell this person to put up an info site about battle re-enactments. Something other battle re-enacters will want to visit. Perhaps schedules of events, photos of events, "newspaper" type story of recent events.. anything they can think of that would be of interest to others with this common interest. Now he has a clientele of people interested in battle re-enactments.

Then this person searches for companies that sell products of interest to this clientele: perhaps that would be costume manufacturers, history books. Some items can be slanted that way such as "ACME travel offers great hotel/airfare combo deals for people travelling to Manassas Virginia for the upcoming re-enactment there".

Now, any time someone clicks thru at this web site, the business at the other end deposits a few pennies in the web-owner's account. It's not much, but considering, this is money that comes in without further effort on the web-owner's part.

To increase your paycheck, find ways to improve your site so more people want to visit. Find more businesses to partner with so people are more likely to find a reason to click thru.

This, BTW, is one of those "secrets" I paid $39 for once upon a time! And you got it free
(0)

Weby,

wow - you could write your own book ...... be interesting to know what you finally end up doing as a work from home option. I hope you post your journey on this blog so we can all learn from your wisdom
(0)

Actually, Cat, it has been some time since I invested in stuff like that. It was there for info.

Actually, I have gotten use out of several such ploys, but the help was less than the cost. Ads that tell you: The secret about (business, sales, marketing, etc) that YOU have been missing! Multimillionaire (Joe, Pete, Sue) will tell you EXACTLY how the got rich and you can get rich too! This ebook normally sells for $199 and others have been happy to pay that. But you, if you buy in the next 24 hours, can have it for a mere $58.50!

If you buy stuff like this, you are likely to get one or two good secrets that will really help you in whatever subject they tell you. Trouble is, you can likely get the same information from a $30 book at Barnes and Noble, plus the book will have one or two "secrets" per chapter, not per book. If you walk in a store and browse the book, the book had better be meaty or it won't sell. Oh yeah, if you buy from the store, they can't put your address in a spam file, to sell you lots more bargain secrets!

BTW, there are people who, for a fee, will help you figure out what YOU know that you can write about that you can also sell for $50 a fact.

That said, there ARE legitamate ways to make a living from home, and I am working on finding a way for me.
(0)

Hi Weby,

sorry to hear that you have been taken in by work at home scams - or fee for list companies that are barely staying within the letter of the law.

I started out same as you all - with a company whose response to a FMLA request for leave of abscence was to downsize the position. (please no advice on that one - I know it's illegal but employers do it anyway so unless you have energy to expend on that instead of emergency caregiving, they 'win' in the short term)

What anyone looking for a job - online, telecommute, or pt flex needs to know is that it starts with a brutally honest skills & work history assessment and then resolving to follow up on leads even if you are rejected 100 times. It may be that yuo end up working for a small business with no medical ins. it may be that you find working a graveyard shift works, it may be that you have to reach out alot of times, but if you don't give up and remember that you are not begging you are applying, you will find something,

I have found that many times caregivers are so desperate because of finances that if they get an interview forget that there is a small set of reasons that sums up the caregiving experience That summation is: It would benefit the employer to hire you as a family caregiver because we are 1. responsible, 2. flexible and will make up time if we need to take off, 3. loyal and ethical, 4. the type of employee you can count on long term. You are patient, resiliant, hard working, and ready to do what it takes.

Don't tell them details about your personal journey - just tell them that every person is onephone call away from being a caregiver - you may find that the person interviewing you is one themselves or knows someone in their family who is.

Hang in there - economy is tough - but we always survive because we have so much depending on us. Better times ahead Ihope.
(0)

LynnD-
I am looking for internet work, also. However, I have something I can sell if I can get it all organized. About once a year I try one of those deals so well advertised. Not something to do if you are so broke and despirate you will hand over your last $40 with the hope of creating an income.

For your information, I found one thing that had some small workability, and many that had none. What not to try: "make thousands a month filling out surveys". For $39.99 I got a list of companies that "paid" for surveys. Most companies on that list only wanted your name and survey answers so they can spam you. Any gifts I won never arrived. The few honest companies on the list paid so little, it was not worth the effort. In the 3 months I spent trying to make this work, I actually earned $10.50!

If you have something to sell, ebay is a good place to play. It is your creative input what you can sell. Start with a list of things you are knowledgable about, things you enjoy, things you can make. I have bought concoctions from a man who grew herbs and made them into natural health products. I have bought home made baklava. Both were on ebay.

Weby
(0)

Hi Lindam,

Thank you for the compliment - sending hugs back to you, you have made my week. Your advice is priceless to everyone on this board. I sure wish you were in my city, your viewpoint is so refreshing.

In answer to your question, I do *mostly everything* for my mother and it has been 24 / 7 for the last 7 years, as it really is hard to find someone to work in the home that I can afford - since I believe in paying a real *livable wage* (which is something we probably both agree on). So I have someone I can trust who is in the neighborhood and benefits from the blessing of additional income, being involved as a companion and good nutrition / perks within walking distance. I know one day I may need more professional help and will keep a print out of your post as a reminder as time goes by.

I wish that one day there was a online video conference and we could all visit over the net real time, but for now it certainly is a lifeline for us all.

You take care - you are a special person!
(0)

As a paid cargiver I can not imagine not doing all those things for my client. Did your caregiver understand her duties when she was hired? The family I work for did not specify my duties, but common sense tells you if you are not doing one on one with your client, you get busy doing other things. Is your caregiver thru an agency? Sometimes they are not required to transport, do housework, ect. Good caregivers are not always easy to find, but you can put and ad in the paper, check with community organizations, call nursing homes to inquire about paid help.Make sure you get references and do a background check if possible.I know this is extra work for you, but you may just get lucky and get some one who will work and who you can trust. God Bless
(0)

This is a messge for Cat. Am sending big hugs and much gratitude your way. You gave me such a simple suggestion, so far it has dropped my stress level about 1 thousand. It has opened up space for me to be more creative in my approach to my client. I was so busy trying to get others to do things my way that I was staying in the problem.My client is also more relaxed, either she picks up my stress or she is having some good days. Either way, I really appreciate you and this site is saving my sanity. Thanks to all of you for giving of yourselves every day.
(0)

First of all - contest the ambulance charge. If you have straight Medicare, call them and have all of your paperwork on medical necessity handy - you will have to file a letter...ask them for the form. If you have a medicare HMO you need to read your contract and then contact them saying again it was medically necessary.

As far as the paid person versus your shouldering the whole burden, I feel for you & have the same experience. Whether you can be classified as the caregiver for reimbursement depends on what state you are in along with what programs you are using...in short, if there is no hope of being paid to do it yourself, you probably would be better off having a *big talk* with the caregiver -

Make a list of what the person actually does well - what you believe they could do and what is the minimum acceptable. I would advise have her do things that you can absolutely trust them with and won't regret - ie. a broken dish is nothing, a mom with a broken hip is terrible. Try to engage them and understand what their understanding of their assignment is. Of course the goal is to not have them quit - but to help out just enough to make your life easier....

any others have ideas?
(0)

I just got a bill from the ambulance company saying that medicare won't pay her travel to the ER bill due to the fact that she could have been able to have me transport her to the hospital. HOWEVER, we thought she was having another stroke and had no feeling in her right leg. HOW would I have been able to carry her into the car? I had never HEARD of Medicare doing this before...now I get to call her doctor... maybe they can help me sort this out. I have a caregiver coming into our home four hours a day monday through friday that does NOTHING but the dishes while I have to temp job...but she won't take my mom anywhere. My own mother says to me: why can't you be my caregiver and get paid instead of this person who does nothing...by you do everything else PLUS look for work...
I clean her hair...she has had six strokes, and I do therapy with her...I drive her everywhere...I take her to all her appointments...I take her to dialysis... I give her her pills and insulin...I give her showers...do the laundry...so...why can't I get benefits?
I am about to lose my car because I am scrambling looking for any kind of temp job...I always lose an assignment when they find out that I have to go to a hospital or to a doctor appointment...
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I CAN DO??? Please I could use some help and guidance.
(0)

Hey Brominds-
you need to contact your Medi-caid and Medi-care offices - - there is a trend for hospitals to bill patients above what these programs pay. The kicker is that if they accept Medicare & Medicaid (at least in California) they have a contract to accept it as payment in full. Don't let them harrass you - go to your local area agency on aging and ask to speak to a volunteer benefits financial advisor & hang in there.

They do this because many times the harrassment is so bad that people affirm that they will pay the money and then pay it.

take care
(0)

Why are they refusing to pay? Is there any other type of financail help in your state?
I feel for you because if we ever had a bill that was not paid we could not afford to pay it ourselves
Can the hospital finance office refer you to anyone to help?
(0)

I am totally frustrated and very upset at how medicaid and medicare is financially treating my 71 yr. old paralyzed, bed-ridden , alzheimers husband. We've been married for 40 yrs. 10 months, and have never been as emotionally upsetted, over a bill. He has been paralyzed since 1952, (56 years), and has never been harrassed with a $85,000.00 hospital bill, every other month, because medicare and medicaid only paid 1/3 of this bill, and has refused to pay the other $63,000.00, billed by the hospital, here, in Columbia, S.C. This man only receives a $637.00 SSI chck each month, for the two of us to live out, with utilities running over $300.00 per month. This includes $200.00 for electric/ gas
(0)

Does your mother qualify for Medicaid to help with any medical assistance?
You may qualify for homemaker if you are not Power of Attorney I have heard. Please do not quote me on that. Just a suggestion. Check with your local Senior Services they may help if not maybe lead in the direction.
(0)

Depending on what state you are in, you might be able to get some financial assistance from your mom's Medicare for being her caregiver. Check out this article on a Medicare program available in 18 states. Also, check with your local Area on Aging (find them in the phone book)

https://www.agingcare.com/articles/medicaid-cash-and-counseling-allows-pay-for-family-caregivers-133268.htm
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter