In memory of... There have been so many deaths among this community this year.

Follow

It would be wonderful if we could all post memories of those we lost in one location, to honor our parents and to know there are so many of us. Thinking of all of you.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing

Comments

Show:
1 2 3
Lost my father in September 2016 from a rare form of brain cancer. Sadly I’m the one that had to tell his 95 year old mother (my grandmom, who I care for) that he had cancer/that his time was limited/that he passed away. Truly a feeling that I can’t describe ~ though it does seem to lessen with the passage of time. Sadly his death has bought out the true colors of not only himself (got copies of messages he sent, saying I’m the most hated person in his life - gee, the one who he hated the most was the one who made time to be there...unlike the rest of family) but the rest of the family....and boy oh boy it’s mighty ugly. Only so much abuse I can take. Started thinking about my future, mainly what happens when his mom passes ~ at first I thinking I’d stay in the house (it’s in the will, it will be left to me) but judging by all the ugly I’m seeing....(frequent insults from other family, etc) I think I’ll only be ‘here’ for maybe a year or two tops... fix up the house and sell it without them knowing. Just want to disappear without a trace. I hold on to the belief that things will get better, once I’m far away from those toxic people. I wish things weren’t this way but sadly that’s how the cards fell.

My condolences to those who’ve had a rough 2017 (2016, 2015, etc ~ anyone who is struggling at the moment) - I hope that 2018 is a better year for you.
(3)

Found 2 pen-pals had passed, one in 2016 and the other a few months ago.

Back in the 1970's my then hubby and I went on a cross-country train trip and met an older couple from NYC. For 35 years the wife and I would exchange holiday cards and annual letters. She had a photo of us and them on the train that she had framed and kept on her wall.

In 2016 I didn't hear from her even though I mailed her a holiday/birthday cards. Last year still no word from her even though I just mailed her a recent holiday card. I checked the Internet and found what sounded like her death announcement in 2016 but no obit. The birth/death years would have matched up for her. Oh how I wished the family would have taken her address book and let people know she had passed :(

On the other side of the coin, my then hubby and I were visiting France in the 1980's when we met a lovely older couple from Germany. The wife spoke English. We invited them to the States and they came. Had a wonderful time. The husband knew more about American History then the average American... he was giving "us" the tour of Washington DC. We exchanged cards for decades. Then she stopped writing. Thankfully one of her sons would exchange emails with me for a while giving me updates, his Mom had Alzheimer's. Even though communication had dropped for over 5 years, the son did let me know his Mom had passed a few months ago.
(5)

Dear Friends,

Thinking of you all. Wishing us all peace and comfort in 2018.
(4)

Dear Sunnygirl1,

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It is a terrible shock.

My father passed last October and now my mom's mother passed this October as well. I am starting to dread this month all together. It is hard to deal with so many losses. But I try to take to heart your words to treasure each day.
(1)

I just discovered that a friend of mine died this morning. We were not extremely close, but, had known each other for almost 4 years. She held a place of trust for me and I valued her opinions. She was active in Senior care and so many people are going to really feel her absence.

She had what they thought was a heart attack Tuesday night and passed away today. I'm still in shock.  She was only in her 60's and had not been sick or diagnosed with any heart condition. Her family and friends are reeling. I just feel so out of it. This is going to be a more somber Christmas, that's for sure. We have to treasure every day. That's for sure.
(5)

And, opportunities to heal among friends, if one is open to it.
(3)

This week there have been three deaths of parents that I know about. Staceyb a long time user of this site, Jim L that will bury his dad tomorrow, and a friend, not on AC, lost her dad on Sunday. I guess I should be ready for this to happen. We are that age that we are close to losing parents, if we haven't already, and next week we will know someone else that is going through what we went through such a short time ago. I now understand why so many leave this site when their loved one passes. AC great for providing triggers to the grief.
(1)

Labs, my gosh that is a lot of losses. I was just talking with a friend tonight, her dad passed yesterday. We get to about 60 and it seems every week someone else has lost a loved one. Then the triggers of our own losses. Difficult times. Thinking of you all.

And Barb I am with you. I do not feel like I have grieved my mom. I lost her a bit at a time over her 12 years of Alzheimer's. The way I feel I do not know if I ever will grieve her. Those last six years were very difficult.
(2)

Dear Labs4me,

I'm so sorry for all your losses. I don't know what to make of life sometimes. I'm starting to feel there is no rhythm or reason. I know your pain and sorrow is deep. Thinking of you.
(4)

Labs4me - I am so sorry to hear of all your losses. Not much can be said except I'm sorry for all the losses you've experienced.
(2)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions