Follow

“Due to a processing error in January, some Medicare Advantage and Part D beneficiaries' requests to have premiums withheld from their Social Security benefit checks did not go through. As a result, those premiums have not been paid. Plans will be sending premium bills to those affected directly instead.” According to the Social Security Administration, the processing error that occurred in January 2019 will result in bills to over 250,000 people.

Individuals who have not been billed for the period between February and May will be expected to pay these premiums.

If you receive a bill or cancellation notice and need more information, contact your Medicare plan provider directly or call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).

The SSA notes that your plan must offer you a “grace period” to repay your missed premium payments. This period must last at least as long as the delay in billing.

Read more:

https://www.medicare.gov/sites/default/files/2019-05/Beneficiary%20premium%20notice.pdf

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-10025

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
The plan providers were just notified in May, however the issue has been occuring since February. Especially if you have automatic withdrawals and assume your payments have been made, watch for any notice of non payment, cancellation, or a bill to arrive directly from your Medicare Advantage plan provider in the upcoming month. Not everyone is impacted. Contact your provider directly to confirm your payments are up to date.
(0)

Very Helpful. I have not received a bill, but do you know when those bills might arrive so the I can be watching out for them. It would not do to throw one away by accident. Frankly I Donn't open ever piece of mail I get from the government.

Thanks again for keeping us informed.
(0)

Thank you!
(0)

I'm glad I don't have to pay a premium for mine.
(0)

Thank you for the information!
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter