Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
1 -- Don't expect to reason with a broken brain.
2 -- Don't expect to hear please and thank you; consider it a gift when you do.
3 -- Don't expect others to support you.
(24)

I would have moved to another state years ago so I didn’t have to deal with my mother. She is extremely intelligent and manipulative and blames me for everything . She is 91 and very healthy but physically unable to get around so in assisted living. My husband and I have pledged to zero life saving medications or life lengthening medications for ourselves in order to not get her age.
(15)

Know your limitations.
Expect the unexpected.
Plan, but as you do so, understand that "God" or "Fate" is laughing as you do so.
(4)

You have a good heart. But please, protect your happiness, peace - in other words, protect your good heart.
(12)

Run for your life.
(13)

There are times when helping your LOs will be very hard; it's OK, you're trying your best. Now try your best for you.
(11)

“Save your heart and hire someone.”
(13)

Run, Forest, Run!
(23)

Have a Plan B.
Start with Plan B.
(20)

Because you care, you’ll keep worrying. But don’t put your life on hold: time lost, is lost forever.
(11)

You never hear a caregiver saying, “My health improved dramatically, with all the stress and hours of helping.”

Be the first.
(11)

Things never get better, they only get worse!
(15)

Be calm. Know that its right for you to take care of yourself
and be creative and kind to yourself and others in so doing. Blessings.
(9)

WATCH OUT!!!
Your siblings will make this nightmare even more nightmarish.
(23)

Go into it with no expectations cause it will never be what you expect and definitely don't expect any thank-yous or well dones.
(15)

Poodle: you wrote:
“You never hear a caregiver saying, “My health improved dramatically, with all the stress and hours of helping.””

Challenge accepted.
(7)

Don’t do it!!!! Say no with no guilty feelings. It will drain you physically, emotionally and cause severe anxiety!
(25)

I guess I would remind myself of some things I'd already learned from other experiences : 1) No matter how much and convincingly they advertise that help is out there somewhere, do not count on finding help from healthcare or other professionals. More often than not, we must be our own saviors and help ourselves. 2) While caregiving, you must focus so entirely on the patient that you forget about your needs. At this time of crisis, what matters is only the person you are trying to save.
(11)

Document everything. Beware of those coming out of the closet for the $. Think as though you were the person receiving the care. Self-care is very important.
(6)

I would tell myself to make the best of the time before it got to this stage, and I would have lived more.
(13)

I grew up as an unwanted child and thought I found a family, but all they saw in me was a caregiver. My desire for love was a bonus to them to be used as manipulation.
(10)

I would tell myself, be careful when choosing in-home caregivers; this, more than anything, will determine how much you can relax. Bad/dishonest caregivers = enormous stress/worry.
(5)

You do not have to do this. Really think
(17)

I would say:

Hi Blamed: your LO will lie to you, about you, will try to destroy your reputation, will try to find allies, will try to take away anything positive about you and turn it into something bad (a false accusation; something you never did), because this way, you look bad. Not an inch of good.

In fact, the way it's described here looks like the behavior of an enemy. Be warned.
(11)

Remind yourself daily…this too shall pass
(8)

Don't divvy up duties: hire one person to take care of everything then keep an eye on them to make sure all is going well. Visit regularly but otherwise walk away.
(7)

Don’t jump in head first because it’s a monster that develops tentacles. 4 times for me and I do my best but now know my limitations.
(5)

🙂 envision your destiny:
if you continue as you're doing now, how does your destiny look? total self-destruction, stress, ill health, financial loss, due to being so kind to others (and no time for yourself)?

1. change your predictable destiny.

🙂 "Everyone thinks I'm overly dramatic when I'm stressed. When an octopus is stressed, it eats itself. Now that's overdramatic."

2. don't be an octopus. don't be self-destructive. don't blame others - if you blame yourself for your own situation, you'll take control of your situation.

🙂 "Sometimes I wish I was an octopus, so I could slap eight people at once."

3. sometimes it's ok to be an octopus. ❤️
(10)

if you don't want to do it - DON'T - do not let other's expectations of your determine your future. You will get no help in spite of promises. Say "no" and help them find alternatives.
(11)

try better in school. make something of yourself so you wouldnt get this future for yourself. move very far far away
(9)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter