Follow

I know how weather changes affect MS in my wife. For her, any notable change, hot or cold, high pressure or low pressure, exacerbates the MS. It’s usually difficult to see right away. Not this time though. She had been able to use her arms and hands well enough to feed herself just a couple weeks ago. Her recent broken femur really changed her MS sensitivity to the weather this time around. Her legs went some years ago. In the last few weeks, her arms and hands are now useless. She can’t drink without someone to hold her sawed bottle now. She can’t scratch/wipe her nose or wipe her chin. I’m so damn angry to see how she’s been suddenly affected, that my patience to stay visit with her a couple hours daily, as I do at her ACF, has become diminished. I feel so bad for her. I can only imagine, how I would deal with such losses and it scares me. I’m fairly successful when I joke around and try to take her mind off this. But for me, I can’t ignore it. So before I lose it, I have to leave her. I hate that damn lump in my throat! I head somewhere, other then home, and try to decompress. Home is just too quiet without another voice in the place. Thank god she has her 100 year old mom in the bed next to her. At least she has some company... for now. Ha, I’m at Coffee Bean writing this. The distractions around me help a bit. There are no answers to this.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I remember walking away with that lump in my throat, in my case from a mom who could literally do nothing for herself but was mentally fine. It was gut wrenching. I wish you some peace, as you’re correct, it’s not easy and there’re no answers
(1)

Just thought of the weather effect...do you have A/C, ceiling fans, and a HEPA stand alone filter? I've found that the filter not only removes dirt particles from the air, it cools and refreshes it.

Others with whom I've spoken during the heat waves have noticed that their own health is affected, even young folks who usually can take severe weather in stride. Perhaps your wife may regain some mobility after the current heat wave breaks?

I don't know that much technically about MS, but I'm wondering if the heat and water retention that can occur so quickly in hot weather is causing edema that restricts mobility?
(1)

No, no answers. but there is help. If you are a member of a church, speaking with your pastor might help. It’s also no shame to seek therapy from a professional. There is nothing fair about the cards we’ve been dealt in this life. We would all like to be living the life of the Senior couples we see in the television ads, but that’s not to be.
(1)

Tuscany, I'm afraid you're right that there are no answers, or at least good ones or ones with solutions. I think that some medical conditions are still beyond the knowledge and ability of medicine to provide good solutions, if any.

You're wise to take a break and destress. I quickly checked your earlier messages and read that your wife is in board and care. Does that take place somewhere else, or have you worked out an arrangement for care at home?

I wish I could offer some consolation, but I don't know what to say, except that life can be unfair, so very unfair.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter