Follow

I do not want my DD to have to take care of me when my mind and body are shot.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I'm with you, girlfriend. If there's anything I've learned from personal experience and reading the experiences of others is that my LOs need to be released from guilt and obligation to care for me if I become even a minor train wreck. My husband's Meme gave up driving on her own, downsized voluntarily and somehow managed to keep up a "chipper" spirit while dying of pancreatic cancer in the hospital. Meme is my hero and I hope I can exit like she did. I've informed my sons not to feel guilty or hesitate to transition me or my husband into a nice facility when they think it's time. My perfect plan is for my husband and I to make the transitions ourselves to a place we picked out BEFORE we get "bad". And then die in our sleep.
(2)

(((Hugs, DD)))

I hope to go like my hubby's grandma, 99 years old, in reasonably good health, sharp as a tack, one second standing in the kitchen laughing at some corny joke, the next on the floor, dead of a massive heart attack. No suffering, no lingering. Hopefully the creator, in his mercy, will take me the same way.
(2)

Oh, I have long been a final exit member. I have no wish to go into this stage of life, dragging others with me. Certainly death panels which were suggested in a long ago election as a threat had me raising my hand. I am 78. I fear death not at all. Life, I fear a good deal given what I, as a nurse, knows is the inevitability of loss after loss of physical and mental ability and dignity. I couldn't agree with you more.
(1)

((((HUGS))))))
(2)

Florida,

I am not sure what "death squads" you are referring to, but I am happy to live in Canada where Medical Assistance in Dying MAiD is legal and covered by hour health care system.

There has been one gap in its application which has been under federal review. Up until now, a person has to be capable of giving permission at the date of their death, which means a person with mental decline is not considered to be eligible. The Bill is to allow Advance Directives, where a person can make the decision while mentally healthy/capable and have that stand when the time comes.

Currently, my SIL is Medical POA, she is a physician and has assured me she will act in my best interests when the time comes. Within the law of the time of course.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter