Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
6 7 8 9 10
OhioGal, let me be blunt. Why do you put up with this? Why are you allowing yourself to be exploited, verbally abused, underappreciated, and financially ruined? Why are you living with a man who so clearly does not respect you?

You have job skills. You can support yourself. Maybe not in the style you were living on two incomes before you mil was foisted off on you, but you can support yourself. Maybe it will take some years to re-establish your credit and your income level. But you can do it.

It seems to me, dear lady, that your house is in Egypt and Denial runs through it.

Your MIL can afford to pay for the care she needs. WHY ARE YOU EXPECTED TO GIVE UP YOUR ABILITY TO EARN INCOME FOR HER SAKE? She is not a charity case. And if she were, the financial burden should be her son's, or at most yours jointly. If you can't see that this is one of the fundamental questions to be answered here, you are Cleopatra herself, Queen of Denial.

Time after time it has been made abundantly clear that mil cannot safely be left alone. WHY ARE YOU THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES THIS? Well, why should anyone else admit it, as long as you continue in the unpaid servant (aka "slave") role? Isn't it advantageous for husband to be able to deny that your income is suffering because you have to stay home? Isn't it to his advange to "deny" that your loss of income is anybody's fault but your own?

You can't leave because if you do he won't let you back? And this is a bad thing because ... ?? If you leave you will be expected to pay for your replacement in caregiving MIL?? WHAT? You are joking that you believe this, right? Please tell us that you do not seriously think there is some way your husband can make you pay for a caregiver for his mother even if you leave him. That is just too much.

His daughter has declared that she isn't taking care of Grandma. Good for her! Of course that is not her responsibility. You seem to resent her because she understands the dynamics of the household better than you do. Take a cue or two from her.

You are right, Ohiogirl, "I was dumb to let this happen." But not about the credit cards, and not about gaining weight. About letting yourself be maneuvered into a demeaning situation where you are ashamed to let your family know your real situation. YOU DO NOT DESERVE THIS.

First, see a lawyer, to protect your interests in the assets owned jointely.

Then see a counselor, to help you find the courage that you surely do own.

Then walk out that door. Or insist on changes.

You may be strapped and in shock and scared. But lady you are only helpless if you decide to be. Pleading helplessness would be the biggest denial of all.

Cleopatra, hang up the crown. Wake up and smell the coffee. Use some of those very fine caring skills you have to take care of you. You deserve it.
(6)

Ohio: First and foremost...top of the heap...don't ever think about it again: YOU ARE NOT A LOSER!! That's pity talk so don't ever say it again. If you hear you saying it to yourself...STOP RIGHT THERE and remember that you have supported yourself, put your children through college and came into a marriage SOLID as you say.

Now look back on what I just said. You have supported yourself, put your children through college, had no debt to speak of. You paid your way all the way. You are an extremely responsible person. Given your sense of responsibility and your compassion for others, it's no surprise that you cannot abide by the way your husband views his mom's needs. You also appreciate how much his mom wants his time and affection. You are not threatened by her need, on the contrary, you want him to fill that need. How can someone like you who feels another person's pain be a loser. Not possible. Not possible.

Maybe you should write down some key phrases that made sense to you in the posts you have received. Find the ones that reinforce your sense of self. I have great respect for your goodness and caring. You are not a loser. You may be on the losing end of this situation, but you are not a loser. There's a big difference.

What I want you to feel from my post to you tonight is that you are an extremely good person. I love you. You are a true gift to your children and all who are open to receiving your love.

Cattails.
(4)

Good grief. Honey, yes your husband is in denial. I'm sorry but I just read all the advice given and all here have given great advice. But I have to say it. You are more in denial than your husband. He has you right where he wants you. Under his thumb. Your broke, your miserable, and yet you talk about his good qualities. He will never hire you help with the mil. Those are just my thoughts. I realize you must love the man, because it can't be the 100,000.00+ a year. Because he sure as hell dosen't help you out with your bills. you have a non existent sex life. Im sorry, I just don't get it. What is there to stay for? And to not see your own children because it upsets him? Good lord, throw that man to the curb and get on with your life. And I have a question. And feel free to tell me none of your freaking business. Did you have a very active sex life and then it stopped suddenly? Because I've gained weight in the last two years. A lot!!! But my husband still wants me. And do you know why? Because he loves me. I think that alone justifies a red flag waving. Staying out late? I'm sorry. It's so upsetting to read your words. My heart is breaking for you. You deserve to be loved! And leaving will not be the end to your mil. The man will have to see she's cared for. But why should it bother him now? He has his own personal lackey. I wish the very best for you, and look forward to you hopefully reclaiming your life. It's the most outstanding feeling in the world. Much love to you, lisa
(5)

cattails, no, I did not sign any prenup. He had a home that needs updating and repairs, very cluttered (like a hoarder) but I thought it was because of his divorce and a wife that didnt clean house. He had a junk car. I had nice furniture, new customized van, money, 401k, with upcoming pension. Just a couple small charge card bills. My boys were on their own, all graduated from high school with college. My boys did not have student loans, I made sure all was paid so they were not burdened with debt, so they had a good start in life.
So I was not carrying "baggage" into the marriage - I was solid. He, on the other hand, had to pay an ex-wife to pay off, pay child support, and had a high house payment in my opinion, with a home that needed work, and charge cards with high limits and pretty high amounts on them. But it didn't matter- he had a good job & I knew I could make good money.
No, his credit is fine. I would never do anything to hurt his finances. I have 3 charge cards that I use to finance real estate expenses and 1 for personal use. I normally paid them off every month, until real estate & economy gave me a set back, then I started carrying monthly amounts. I never had a late payment until I started caring for his mom, when I could not handle appts. Then I started getting sick with migraines, scratching my eyes, and other health issues - so that hurt. He paid off our 2nd mortgage (my name was on that) so now I don't have that bill against me, but now I don't have that giving me good monthly ratings either. I am not on the house payment, since he bought the home in 95 and we were married in 03, but he did have the deed re-done where we own it together, joint survivorship. We also have 2 timeshares, owned jointly, paid for. Several cars - no car payments. Other assets. We have 4 joint charge cards - they are fine. It is the ones that are 100% mine that I have had for YEARS, that has been damaged. So they has destroyed my credit, but I can re-build quickly, takes a year of no late pays and get balances down to 30% of limit. By 3 years I should be back golden IF I CAN WORK. I just have never been upside down before and prided myself in good credit and stability. I was dumb to let this happen. I guess I am in shock that I am in this position - where I feel helpless and strapped and most of all scared. I dont want people and family to know my problems. I mean, they know I am taking care of my MIL, but they have no idea that I have money issues.
(2)

Thanks for the advice, Zoey. I just need a "mind adjustment" and it won't happen overnight. Counselor gave me some suggestions. I'll have to sleep on it tonight.
(0)

mrsribit, My husband seems to have trust issues over losing those he loved. He lost his father when only 12 yrs old. His mom has been both mom and dad to him. After losing his father, the only job his mom could get, was 2nd shift at GM to earn a good living. His mother did NOT work from the time he was born until his dad passed away. So think about it, (I have thought much about this), his dad dies, a mother who was always there, now works nights, so he comes home from school to be alone with his sister. No mom. His life totally changed. Then his mother re-married during his late teens, to someone that drank and was abusive. The marriage didn't last long, so that part was good. Then his sister (who is 2 yrs younger) marries and leaves. He doesn't get married until almost 30 & really did not want children but it happened. Divorces after wife leaves over a man she worked with after 16 or 18 yrs of marriage. It almost destroyed him, he loved her very much. So that is where most of his trust issues are. I have not and will not cheat on him, because I have declared if I ever end up divorced again - I will just be alone, no one will ever break my heart again.
(0)

Stp, Yes, there are many wise and knowing people here. I have read, re-read then re-read again, trying to digest all that is being said. My husband is not physically abusive, not at all. But he doesn't "fight fair" - our arguements are not nice. He can be SO funny & nice, loving while other nights - I don't exist & I don't understand. I know he is busy so I will dive into reading or studying, or doing whatever to stay busy. I am not into watching television - although I used to have a couple favorite shows. I love movies, but it's been a couple years since I rented any to watch. My husband only has basic cable for us - so not a lot to watch anyway. Before this marriage, my boys were my life, but they grew up on me, married with families of their own. They are disappointed that I don't see them very often, but we talk on the phone, text and share photos. My oldest son lives the closest - about 3 miles from me, while the other 2 sons are 3 hours from me. My now husband has 2 daughters, one living with us, the other with a boyfriend and young baby. They have stayed away after MIL fell, while I was watching the baby, where baby was injured playing with MIL (bringing toys back and forth, having a great time when the accident happened). I miss her, but I understand.
(0)

vstefans, I appreciate all your comments & advice shared. I'm just so tired to write much today & never had time to log on all weekend, due to MIL issues that totally robbed my time and I had to step away for awhile to regroup my "sanity".
You are right, no matter how hard I try not to think it so, I am just a loser. Married to someone who doesn't appreciate me, where I have allowed myself to sink in so many ways. I guess my blinders are on and with all of this going on around me, it's so hard to look in the mirror - because I don't recognize the person looking back at me.
Yes, it is possible for my MIL to physically hurt me, but most of the time I am not within arms reach, especially if she is angry. She's a feeble little 90 yr old, but when her anger kicks in, she is fiesty and throws things. With her mobility issues, I can easily get out of her reach. Like I said earlier, I have 2 rooms I can run to and lock the door, OR I can leave the home by going in to garage, back sunroom or yard.
Yes, I am sure my doctor would write something - but it would not mean anything to my husband at this point. I could be wrong. Guess right now I am so disappointed in my day today. Nothing went right.
You are so correct, I can't get back the time, days, months I have wasted. But I really thought I was doing the right thing. But no matter what I do to be nice & helpful to her (MIL), she let's me know quickly that I am NOT liked by her. Then she tells my husband that I don't like her and I want don't her there. (playing games). Well, there IS some truth to that, when I have taken a day of her nastiness, no, I don't want her here. But faith and teachings tell me to be compassionate for those that can't take care of themselves.
Yes, we had my MIL evaluated by 2 different geriatric doctors who feel she has issues. BUT felt she still had "reasoning skills" at times & could still answer questions in many areas. Both agree that she can not live alone but did not say she could not "be" alone, needing constant attention like I feel she needs. My husband is "cold" when it comes to this - saying, if she falls, she falls. That's life. It's going to happen, she is gonna fall and break. We just don't know when. He tells me that he appreciates all I am doing for her, but it's "not all necessary". He won't sit and talk to her when he comes home. No time for that, he says. And this makes her sad. What would it hurt for him to come home, say Hi Mom, How was your day. How are you feeling. Just show her some attention instead of her feeling like an outsider with a son that doesn't have time for her. He stays busy, but that is how I am treated too. (But that wasn't how it used to be).
Ok, now I feel a need to explain...my words may not make a lot of sense, because I feel so down...
How I start my day:
5:30am Get up. Make my husband breakfast, make and pack him a lunch. Make sure he takes his pills. Get dogs outside (we have 2yr old dobermans, male & female litter mates). Now, he WON'T put up a fence for them, so I have to put them on a leash and take them outside to "do their business", doesn't matter if it is raining, snowing, cold or hot - I take them out.
Husband leaves around 6am for work. I do up dishes, throw a load of laundry in machine, go back to bed.
Up at 7:30 or 8, turn on computer, ck emails from clients/customers - go over my "to do" list for real estate (my career). Eat breakfast. Put clothes in dryer. Take dogs out again.
By 10am, MIL is finally getting up. While she enters bathroom, I go into bedroom checking for wet sheets, gather up clothing, look for "hidden urinary pads" (she doesn't have that problem & will hide them at times), make her coffee & prepare breakfast, lay out medicene. Take photo. (My proof I made it).
Every other day, I try around 11 to 12noon, to get her into shower, where I have to assist her getting in and out, washing her back, helping her get dry.
From 12:30 til 1:30, MIL watches Young & Restless. I get my lunch, then start preparing hers & make real estate calls.
2pm, time to serve lunch to MIL, then dishes afterwards, figure out if I need to start oven or whatever preparation needed for dinner.
3pm, MIL has 2 other programs on tv she watches which gives me 2 free hours of working in real estate again. My husband gets off work at 2:30 but does not come right home. Depends on IF I tell him I MUST leave for appointments, so Please Come Home.
During this time, I bring coffee & snack to MIL, talk to her a little.
Dinner is around 5:30 or 6pm. I put on table, get MIL to table, yell for husband to come to table - but half the time, he doesn't even eat with us, he lets it sit to "eat whenever". This hurts my feeling, but he started doing this to me even before MIL came to live with us.
After dinner, MIL likes to sit in living room, wanting to know what my husband is doing, where some nights he is cutting yard, (MIL watches out window), or he is out working on his cars (where she tries to watch, but can't see), or he is in the living room on the computer (where she will sit in recliner trying to talk to him or just sits and watches his back where he totally ignores her) But he did this even before MIL came, which hurt my feelings.
MIL wants Ice Cream or snacks aournd 8-8:30pm. I make sure all dinner & evening dishes done. (We live in $300,000 home with NO dishwasher, husband bought home this way, beautiful kitchen & cabinets, but no dishwasher, doesn't matter that I really want one & it could be installed easily, oh well).
MIL in bed by 10pm. Husband goes to bed when he feels like it. No set bedtime, and does not matter if I go to bed or not. Sound like a loving couple??? It hurts.

So this is my life. I lose most of my day to taking care of her so it's HARD to work full time in my real estate career, so my income is about a 1/4 of what I normally would earn.
Oh, did I mention I have to take those dogs out a few more times? He will take them out maybe a couple times in the evening - and they are HIS dogs. I asked for him to put at least one of them in my name, since they have AKC papers, but they are thrown to the side and are HIS dogs. Yes, I am their primary caretaker too. I love animals, and more a cat person, but he does not and will not ever allow me to have a cat. I would not have one anyway with these dogs. Not safe.
I never have stacks of dirty clothes, due to my morning routines. Never have dirty dishes around because I wash them usually right after a meal. I keep a clean house juggling house work around real estate appts and his mom.
So there, that's my life.
We used to go out on friday nights, dinner & movie, or do something. That doesn't happen very often anymore. Nights out with my husband is far and few since MIL came here. That makes me sad. We can only go out IF his daughter is ok with being here. (she lives with us, full time college student & works as pharmacy tech part time).
Looks like I have written a book even after I said I was too tired to write.
(1)

waddle1, thanks for the words of wisdom. I guess I am allowing my husband to hold power over me because I feel worn down & not sure which way to go first. My weekend was one of the worst in a long time. My MIL was in attack mode, which ended up in me slamming the door & going out to steps crying. Then my husband sends a text to his sister, telling her that I quit. So it's either time to line up a nursing home or come and get her. His sister texts back, she will get back in touch with him later, she is still in Gettysburg on vacation, with her motorcycle pack. (breast cancer). I made my husband take over her care for the rest of the day, telling him that I need a break, I can't continue listening to the insults and accusations being thrown at me - I'm too tired. Well, his care didn't go too well either. Long story.
(1)

ravensdottir, thanks for your thoughts. I made so many calls today, seeking in-home care and trying to find out if my MIL qualifies for any assistance to cover the costs. I did call aging services, who emailed a list of area companies that provide in-home care, but it is looking like MIL has too much money in bank to qualify for assistance. I have submitted her medicare A & B plus her blue cross card info - waiting to hear back.
(0)

cattails, I am at the point I don't know who I am anymore or what my future is going to hold. So disappointed in all the hard work I did today, trying to find a way to have some in-home help. Long story. Then my husband DID NOT go to my counselor with me today. Then his sister shows up at my home, because my MIL called her - about being in such duress here at our house. Everything I tried to do, back fired. Tomorrow is a new day. My weekend was full of my MIL's antics - I don't know why she got into "attack mode", creating havoc with her words. Another long story.
(1)

Ohio: Did you sign a prenup when you married your husband? I'm just curious if you are afraid you would end up with nothing. I have no doubt that you want your marriage to work because you love your husband, but you seem to live such separate lives financially that I wonder if he guarded his assets when you married. Also, wouldn't your credit being damaged, cause damage to his credit rating too? Or is everything clearly in your name separately and his name separately. How do you hold title to your house?

I would suggest you get away from your home for a few days. Take the dog with you. Go visit your children. It doesn't matter that you have bills to pay. A few days away is not going to make a difference. You don't need to go to a spa and get pampered. You need to connect with people that love you. Yes, probably things will get damaged while you are gone. There will be messes for sure. Let your husband come home to it. Let him deal with it.

We haven't heard from you lately. Your counseling appointment is tomorrow, if I remember correctly. I wish you luck with that. Your counselor told you, essentially, that he wanted to remain impartial. I'll put my two cents in about that. Your therapist is now put in the position of marriage counseling. He is not acting as your advocate. If he were to do so, your husband would probably walk out of the room. So he is walking a fine line in order to not alienate either party. He wants you to hear each other and work out your problems. He will be listening to everything that is said, but he may not tell you what he thinks. See how it goes and let's see if your husband is willing to go back. It's a process, Ohio, and it takes time. Sometimes it's better to have your own therapist and a separate marriage counselor. You need honest feedback regarding your own feelings and sometimes that can be compromised in joint counseling. I'm not saying joint counseling isn't helpful, but both parties have to want a good outcome.

I miss hearing from you. Please let us know how you are doing. Love and Hugs, Cattails.
(2)

Ohio, Your husband says if you leave for a while then you can't come back. YES YOU CAN !!! It is your home too! Legally he isn't allowed to keep you out of your own home. Also he says you can't leave because he won't pay for someone to be with his Mom. I thought he doesn't think anyone needs to be with his Mom. You can see from all of our concern that WE ALL agree, he's the one with the problem or problems, Not you.......
(2)

Ohio. I just read your message over again about hubby's trust issues. Maybe the trust issues came before his first wife's infidelity. She may have been more self preserving and got out before he did to her what he's doing to you. I may be out of line, if I am I apologize but it's important that whatever the reason, you can't let his bad behavior hurt you. And you can't expect him to love you more than you love yourself.
You can be compassionate from a safe distance. You have to decide what to do if he doesn't respond to reason. Please make sure you are safe, you can't help your MIL if you are out of commission because this is too much.
(2)

He is taking advantage of you! He probably thinks he can do that because he knows you can't/won't leave because of finances. He is in control of you. This is sounding a lot like what is usually part of an abusive relationship. He has money but won't spend it on anything other than his toys. He doesn't want you "going out with friends". Your family doesn't come over, which is probably fine with him. You don't know the neighbors and have no time to socialize or make new friends. I'm sure he's pleased that you're being kept too busy to get away.

He doesn't want to be bothered to care for his mother, yet it's okay with him if you're bothered with it. Don't you see how he's controlling you? As long as you're too busy with helping his mother, you can't make your own money with your job (and leave), helping yourself. As long as you are dependent on him, he has you under his thumb, as the maid/caregiver. He does't want you to leave...who would cheaply care for his mother? Yet, he doesn't treat you as his wife...there are various signs of that.

You deserve more respect, appreciation, attention and love from him. Sounds like he has done a good job of tearing down your self respect and confidence. Get out now...before he completely destroys you. Perhaps you could stay in a shelter or with a friend, and get back to making your own money with your job. There are probably other programs or avenues you could pursue too. This will only get worse. You know what they say...why buy the cow when the milk is free. .
(2)

Ohiogal,I'm not good at it to give you any advice for you...but those caregivers friends on this post has so many good advicese for you!!! Bottom of line is you should make your decision which ways your life should and want be.. you are not his families slave....also you never said your husband is abusive at all, but what I think is mentally he is abusing you.. I'm sorry my written is so blant and poor. One more thing I want say " yes we can teach old dog new tricks, too" take care of yourself!!!!
(2)

I'm glad to hear you have a counselor, but they are may just have to "judge" at some point whether they like it or not. Re-read this statement and tell me what you would write to someone else who wrote it: "If I leave, I can't come back. He gets upset when I try to visit my son & family that is a 3 hr drive away - I can count on one hand how many times I have been to visit them." You would tell them they are an abused spouse, kept in the situation by emotional blackmail and threats. You are being emotionally and financially abused, and isolated. You are very likely to be physically abused by MIL soon, as she has no judgement or insight left, but is just mobile enough and angry enough to do it.

Do you have an option to get your doctor to write that you need a respite from caregiving because of the medical need to relieve the extreme stress that is endangering your health? You are not "leaving" then, you are getting a medically mecessary respite. Depression tends to make you think you are not worth the effort or deserving of help or a break. Well, you are.

Now. I am NOT saying "end your marriage" because you are also pointing out that hubby has reedeming qualites and may even care about you and just be having his head in the sand about his mom's condition, which is not reversible, and about what he can expect another human being, even a devoted and dedicated wife, to put up with. You cannot make him see the light, he has to decide to do that when faced with facts. He may decide to keep abusing you and milking you for all you're worth for as long as possible...or he may open his eyes and see what a wreck you and your once happier home have become because of his decisions and refusals to see the obvious, and decide that he wants you well and he wants a future with you instead. Though you are saying, "I'm holding out for better times ahead" that may not be realistic; it could be years before MIL passes on, and your health could fail permanently or even fatally for you. And will you really be able to either fully forgive or hold the anger inside forever when its all over and you have to try to pick up the pieces, recover, restore your home, and find that you can't really get those years back or reverse all the harm that has been done? I will even pray that you can become as one again and pull through, but relaize the outcome it depends on the decisions that your husband makes and my experience is that God does not take the free will of people away and force them to make the loving decisions however desperately you may need them to. Mine did and we are still together about 15 years now after I had to get kids out of the house and stay with friends for a couple weeks. Our pastor helped, as did a change in husband's medication that he was not willing to look into until it was almost too late. I had to begin considering plans for the alternative though. But you are clearly a strong, tough person, and there are worse things than ending up broke and living with other family members until you can get on your feet again - staying in your current situation wihtout SUBSTANTIAL change and relief strikes me as one of them.

MIL is without doubt in need of full time care and supervision. Assisted living for her would make perfect sense, and it is probably going to be better for her as well as for you. If you choose to keep her at home there must be help and respite built in. I work at a children's hospital and we do not even permit a solo caregiver to be responsible for a child needing full-time medical care, even if they don't have constant 1:1 behavioral supervision needs. Geriatric evaluation for her and documentation of her incapacity might help; whether you are there or not, someone needs POA and/or guardianship. DO NOT let hubby downplay the condition of MIL, just because she recogiznes familiar people or is partially oriented; I've seen that be a factor. All dementia is not Alzheimer's, it may be vascular or other causes, and the pattern is usually to lose insight and judgement, continence, and maybe short-term memory before losing basic orientation or long-term memory. I hope this helps and you have touched a lot of us on here with the story of your family's suffering...some day soon I hope you are writing not only to seek help but to give it, because it will be very healing and helpful to share what you've been through with others in similar situations.
(3)

Have your husband accompany YOU on a visit to YOUR doctor about YOUR health! You both need to appreciate what this is doing to you, bless your heart!
Time to bring in Aging Services for all your sakes.
(1)

Ohio: Let me offer one more thing I learned in counseling years ago. Usually the person who is so strident about issues, like your husband is, often cave when the rubber meets the road. They are big on telling you that if you leave you can't come back, etc. Be true to yourself. You can still be true to your husband. Your not cheating on him by visiting your children and grandchildren. Don't allow his insecurities to keep you locked up. You go visit your children, you come home. You go to work, you come home. Be who you are!!!!!!!!! It may give him a sense of security. Maybe he is keeping your tied up and broke because he is afraid you will leave him. It's sick, but all you can do is be honest and clear. Take charge of your life and be supportive of his support and care for his mom. You can sympathize, but you can't be the slave. Read the Dance of Anger book.
(3)

Actually, I wonder what "would" happen, if at the counselor's office I brought up I would like a week to visit my son & family. I miss them terribly, which I do. I have 2 sons that are married with children that live 3 hours from me, both in the same city. But I don't know if I could, without worrying myself sick inside, over the house, my things and the dogs, bills, my job.
What I really need is to get away for a day, like go to a spa, where I can gather my thoughts, be pampered a little, figure out how to see my children more without causing issues with my husband and figure out how to get my life back.
My husband never said "HE" would pay for anyone to care for his mom, he said "I" would have to figure out how to pay for it. My mind was blown at that point, me go to work to pay someone to care for his mom, no way I thought, but now - maybe it would be worth it, so I can have my life back??
Yes, I feel worthless, unattractive, looking forward to sleeping at night, where I have control of my thoughts & dreams where no one tells me what to do or how to do it. My mind often races - where I don't get good quality sleep while other times I don't want to wake up. It's my only outlet. Yep, I am pretty much a robot being controlled. Never thought of it that way. But that is the truth. Wow. That hurts.
Too tired now to write anymore. Going to sleep now. It's been a pretty quiet day except when his mom decided to make some goofy calls on the phone to her old neighbor in Florida. Then she made more goofy calls to her daughter who is on vacation right now. Then called my husband on the phone, when I was in the same room, asking him to come inside to give her an anxiety pill because she was starting to get the shakes after talking to her Florida next door neighbor, which always upsets her, making her want to return there. Then she decided to lash out at me, telling me mind my own business. What the heck? I had not done a thing to her? Then tells me "you can't sell houses because you have no personality". What? She wants to pick a fight and I am not going to play into it. But she doesn't stop. I finally distract her with food - works most of the time! Hooray.
She also is good at playing son against daughter, telling one something and the other something else to get them mad at each other. I caught on fast to that game, but I am around her more than anyone else. My husband didn't believe me, neither did my sister-in-law. But a couple weeks ago, it finally happened. His sister came over to visit. MIL told her daughter that she could have her Florida car. MIL had been telling my husband to keep her Florida car hidden in the garage because she didn't want her daughter to know it was up here. If daughter knew it was here, she would want it. MILs' daughter comes over, announces that she is taking the car. My husband in shock, because he had offered to pay his mom $7500 for it, because HIS daughter could use a car - but no, MIL gives it freely to her daughter. No strings attached, after we have kept the car hidden, in the garage, storing it all this time. More things came out. Like MIL had us change the locks on her condo here, to keep daughter (hubby's sis) out of it, because she had been taking things out of it. Yep, daughter had. BUT she claims she had mom's permission to do so. MIL is good at games, loves to stir up trouble. But with both of them together, right in front of her, both asking what is the truth here. Yep, they learned then that good ole' mom had played them both. And had been for some time. Too many years of watching soap operas.
(0)

Ohio: I so hope your husband says all the things to the counselor he says to you. Let me see if I get this straight. It's kind of like a math equation. A. You husband says that his mom, who has plenty of money, refuses to pay for in home care. B. Your husband who makes over $100,000.00 a year and doesn't come home after work and spends tons of money on himself, says that he refuses to pay for in-home care for his mom. 3. This equals if you get a full time job and don't take care of is mom, your income must go to covering the cost of his mom's in home care. I'm not a physics major, but this is voodoo math.

Here's how it should be: A. Your MIL who has plenty of money refuses to hire in home help. B. Your husband who makes over $100,000.00 a year, who doesn't come home after work and spends lots of money on himself, refuses to pay for in-home help for his mom. C. You should get a job or focus on your real estate career so you can support yourself, since your husband won't help your financially. D. His mother is not your responsibility.

There is absolutely no reason that his daughter should have to be grandmother's care giver either. It's reasonable to expect her to be part of the family and do things when she is home, but she has a life too and she is a full time student with a part time job. You can't put this on her back and she is smart enough to know that you are holding down the fort. That's why she will leave if you do.

Your husband has you in the palm of his very unkind hand. He tells you if you leave you can't come back. Why would you want too. He tells you if you "quit", excuse me are you his slave or his wife, that it will cost him money to cover his mom's care; care that he says she doesn't need. Still, while you are taking care of his mom full time, he won't make your car payment. The only slacker allowed in his world is him.

Sometimes we marry people for reasons that make us feel good about ourselves. If we think our husband adores us, then we hope we are adorable and we want to hold on to that validation. It comes from a need in us to feel worthy. The truth is, only we can make ourselves truly worthy. It comes from a belief in ourselves and not from outside sources.

Sometimes, if we have had a failed marriage and are in a second marriage that is not working, we would rather live in a mistake than admit that we have made a bad choice. We think it is all about our failings and in some way that is true. Maybe we don't make the best choices. That doesn't mean that we are not good people and deserving of support and love, it just means we didn't pick the person who is going to give it to us.

I can remember times in my life when I just could not understand why someone else, my first husband, could not appreciate what I was saying. It was so obvious, but he would not acknowledge my feelings or thoughts in any way. I kept thinking that the fault was mine. I'm just not explaining it clearly. So I would try again and again.

At the time, I thought the only option was to leave. He refused counseling and he was very disrespectful and unkind to me. So I left. In retrospect, I see now that I had two choices. Live my life the way I wanted and he could follow me. He would bitch and grumble, but he might just respect me and adjust. Or I could leave. I didn't realize that I had the power to just say no, I'm not going to leave you, but I am going to do it this way. I thought I needed his permission. I didn't. You have a right to live your life the way you want to and you don't need to convince him or get his permission. Just live your life. Go to work, come home. Go to work, come home. His mom is not your problem. Leave the mess in the kitchen and on the floors. Lock your bedroom and create a space for yourself. Be supportive of what he feels he needs to do to take care of her, but taking care of her is not your job nor is it your financial responsibility.

I hope counseling works for you, but be prepared for a long road. I agree with mrsribit, don't stop going no matter what he does. This is about your life, not just your marriage.

There's an old book called, "The Dance of Anger" by Dr. Harriet Lerner. It is a classic in changing the dynamics of a marriage. You are a reader, so take time to get this book and read it. It's not about changing your husband, it's about becoming who you really are and that will change your husband. Please give it a read.

By the way, I've been married 40 years next March. I'm not going to tell you all 40 years were amazing, but I am going to say that I love having the opportunity to be who I am; warts, flaws and all and know that I am loved. Best of all, I am grateful that I can accept myself for trying my best, even when it may not live up to my perfectionist standards. I'm still good enough and so are you.

Ohio: You said you are a private person and don't usually share so much about yourself. I'm glad you are here and getting the support you deserve. Keep talking and keep posting.

I'm wishing the best for you. Cattails
(4)

Ohio, I don't understand why you can't go 'visit' your sons and their families for awhile. I don't understand why it has to be you walking out on your husband, and NOT just visiting. I don't understand why you buckle under when you told your husband that 'you weren't going to do it anymore' and he starts griping about having to actually pay a stranger to take care of his mother, so you automatically just ignore what YOU think, and become a robot. From an outsiders perspective, you have completely given up whatever feelings and thoughts you have had, IF they differ from his. The very thing that he's worried about, you leaving him, is exactly what is going to happen when he keeps choosing his mother over his marriage. Which is exactly what he is doing.
(4)

My goal to get from counseling is to find avenues of help. Number One: Is there a way to get a physical therapist in the home 2 to 3x a week, to assist in getting her mobility strenghtened, make her use muscles to strengthen the arm full of medal from several falls/surgeries, and her legs from 2 hip surgeries. She has Medicare & supplemental blue cross/blue shield. Her first husband was a veteran that served in World War II. But I don't think she qualifies for any surviving spouse benefits since he died and she remarried, even though she realized it was a mistake and divorced quickly. I would like to find out if our state offers any benefits for seniors with alzheimer's, but I don't know where to go. I would like to find a way to have someone in the home with nursing skills from 10 til 4pm, to give me peace of mind so I can work again, on a full time basis. I would like my husband to acknowledge his mother is OLD and NOT in a good frame of MIND. Can't be left alone. Needs full time care. I can't communicate with someone that doesn't listen. I am hoping this counselor can approach my husband in a different direction that will work, understand his mom needs professional care. I can't continue. My husband has even questioned me over things I have declared his mother did, example. Mom says, I haven't had anything to eat since my oatmeal. I'm so hungry. Husband looks at me, I hope this isn't true and you are telling me the truth. You really did give her lunch, right? His doubting me is a huge slap in the face. It hurts so bad. To believe this alzheimer lady over his wife who sacrifices daily for this uncaring, nasty woman???? I break down and cry. I can't get angry and throw a fit like most women would, instead - I try to hold it in, one day I couldn't stop the tears for half a day & ended up with a migraine lasting for 5 days. The medicene didn't work - and I was ready to go to hospital, but I was finally able to sort out feelings and stay calm enough to settle it down. My husband feels I am "laying it on" just to get rid of his mom. Then here it comes again, deep hurt inside - not understanding why does he want to hurt me like this? After all I do?
(0)

Yes, I agree. My MIL is one selfish person and does not like me (feels I am the reason she can't do as she pleases in the house and I took away her freedom. If I would just leave, she would have her son to herself and SHE has no problem taking care of him, so she thinks, truly thinks and would absolutely LOVE me to go). My husband is selfish, absolutely. I learned that recently. With an attitude, too. Yes, he is black & white when it comes to reasoning. You are not allowed to disagree & don't even think of going against him OR expect to be blasted. His daughter is selfish. I think it comes with how they were raised so it is handed down from family member to family member. We have been married 9 years now. (Both of us in 2nd marriages). Divorce is ugly. No one wins. I am in no shape to handle a divorce, so what he wants he can get right now. I have no fight in me, no strength for any mental battles. In fact, I am so weakened right now - when voices get raised and arguements start - I get sick. I have to lay down and get away from it. Once a migraine sets in - I am worthless. And I can't be bedridden or throwing up with the craziness in my house from MIL. The things she does boggles the mind. Honestly, I can write for hours about her and the antics she has done. Nothing surprises me anymore. I have to stay a step ahead of her. I am having stomach issues tonight from writing all of this. I can't get the stomach acid to stop coming up in my throat. My doctor has me on one in the morning, one at night, but I can take 2 at night if really upset. Which I did. Not working.
(0)

It makes sense, but what do you think the counselor means by this? What do you expect from this? from meeting with him with your husband or without him. What is the goal is my question? What is going to happen if your husband doesn't have a duh' moment and keeps doing what he's been doing?
I think you are very compassionate but what would your husband do if you were hospitalized tomorrow and couldn't be there for him and his mom? Would he put her in a NH or would he pay for someone to care for her? He would have to do something. He is treating you like an unpaid caregiver. From everything you've told us here you are not being loved by him you are just there to do what he doesn't want to do.
(2)

MrsRibit, I can't walk out. His first wife walked out on him after 16 years of marriage, had been cheating on him with a man she worked with. So he has trust issues over that.
If I leave, I can't come back. He gets upset when I try to visit my son & family that is a 3 hr drive away - I can count on one hand how many times I have been to visit them. Since his mom is living with us, that number is now zero! I can't go anywhere for long, without being afraid of what the heck is she doing now? She has gone through my drawers (and now I have a lock on my bedroom door), stolen things from my back office (which now has a lock on the door), has gotten into the medicene cabinet (where I removed all drugs and now locked in my bedroom), gave my dogs things they should not have eaten (so if I am not home I lock them in my office so she can't get to them). She has my one female doberman so afraid of her, that when my MIL starts raising her voice or yelling - that dog runs and hides under my chair shaking. See? even my tough little dobie girl is afraid of her! And my dog has a right to be, she has been hit with a cane by my MIL. My 7 yr old granddaughter is afraid of her, too. And I don't have her over often since she has a low immune system and my MIL is not a clean person (does not wash hands after bathroom visits & even rinses out pads in toliet to re-use them. Gross.). The biggest change I have made is finally listening to my doctor after he told me that they are going to scope my stomach if my stomach issues don't improve over doubling the medicene dosages and I have failed my liver test over too many pain killers. Which is why I entered into counseling. My husband did switch shifts at work, from nights back to days, so that helps, last month. The counselor wants to meet with both my husband and I on Monday at 4 to go over MIL issues. That should be interesting. But the counselor is telling me that he is here to help, not judge. Wants to put us in the right direction as one together and not two people apart. Does that make sense?
(0)

I think the counselor is the answer for you but you have to understand you won't change your husband. You can only change how you deal with him and his daughter. How do you expect him to react to the counselor? Are you ready for whatever he does? Make sure you keep going to see him/her no matter what he does.
(4)

Nancy, Yes - I have family that I could escape to - but that is not an option. I've been told if I go out the door, I won't be coming back. I can't jeopordize being thrown out right now. I've told him once, when I was crying so hard that I can't take it anymore - that I was DONE taking care of her. I QUIT. Bad scene. He said if I quit, then he would have to hire someone to take care of her. So, his mom is unwilling and won't pay for someone, he can't make her pay for someone to watch her, HE is not paying someone to watch her, so if I quit I better find a job that will cover the expense of someone taking care of her. So where does that leave me?
His daughter that lives with us, will NOT take care of her, except will help here and there which is not often. She is a full time college student and works part time. She has told me if I leave, she will leave also - to live with her mom. No way is she taking care of this grandparent and repeatedly says, put her into a nursing facility.
I don't think full time in a nursing home is the right thing to do. She will really die at that point and the guilt I would feel would just eat me up. If my husband would just wake up and face facts, I can't continue doing what I do - 24/7 because my mental state is taking a big hit right now & my health. The migraines, nausea, soreness in my stomach has my doctor telling me to go on anti-depressants and has me on stomach pills morning & night (doubled the dosage), told me to seek counseling then asked me if I had suicidal thoughts. Geez - NO suicidal thoughts. Good grief. And I said no to the anti-depressants, too. I need my thoughts focused and not drugged. I started counseling a week ago, too soon to tell if that is working. And Monday at 4, he has asked my husband to be there too. This will be interesting. Any thoughts?
(1)

And Ohio, please tell me why this is or isn't a good idea. You need to discuss the change not everything staying the same.
(1)

Ohio I agree with Nancy. You need to keep going over the same things and just leave him alone with her for a few weeks and find out what it's like. You are a sweet person but you need to stop being a doormat.
He needs compassion and it won't come if you keep doing for his mom. Talking about what you want to happen and not doing something about it isn't helping you. What are you going to do about this? If this goes on for another year, 5 years, 10 years are you going to be here expecting it to change or are you going to make things change?
I vote for you to quietly make arrangements for a good vacation at your kids house or friends' house. Don't threaten don't give an ultimatum just make the arrangements and tell him as you go out the door with a friend as support.
(5)

6 7 8 9 10
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter