Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
4 5 6 7 8
It doesn't sound like your husband is in denial~~you are. It sounds as if you are bing used & abused. Why do you put up with it.
(0)

Hey, glad you wrote back again, and condolences on the loss of your friend...
It sounds totally unexpected, and of course it's a shame you did not get to spend time with her and be the support to her that you might have been, but under the circumstances...well, even if you had known, could you/would you have been able to drop everything and do what you wish you had? (Bear in mind this is from another working mom type who is too busy to have friends, and that's gone on for longer than I'd care to admit!)

MMSE info from Wikipedia: Any score greater than or equal to 25 points (out of 30) is effectively normal (intact). Below this, scores can indicate severe (≤9 points), moderate (10-20 points) or mild (21-24 points) cognitive impairment.[9] The raw score may also need to be corrected for educational attainment and age.[10] Low to very low scores correlate closely with the presence of dementia, although other mental disorders can also lead to abnormal findings on MMSE testing. The presence of purely physical problems can also interfere with interpretation if not properly noted; for example, a patient may be physically unable to hear or read instructions properly, or may have a motor deficit that affects writing and drawing skills.

More info at http://www.getnhp.com/PDFs/ProviderPDF/Provider_Manual/Appendix/Tab%2013%20Mini%20Mental%20State.pdf

One other question: Who is going to be guardian? She definitely needs one, and I'd hope her son rather than her DIL would step up and take on that responsibility!
(2)

ohio - my mom, who has Lewy Body Dementia, has had over time all of the 3 main dementia tests for about a decade. Her gerontology group is with a medical school. Her last MOST score was about a 11, went from a 27 to 11 in about 7 yrs.

DEMENTIA TESTS: 3 main tests. Different yet similar….
1. Folstein aka Mini Mental State Exam (MMSE) - 30 point test. Takes about 10 - 20 minutes & looks at math, memory, orientation, basic motor skills. MMSE is copyrighted & needs training to do, so usually done by gerontology MD’s; MD’s,residents, student MD’s or trained staff @ teaching hospital; or nursing home with teaching hospital staff. Score is 27 or more=normal; 21-26 mild; 10-20 moderate; under 10 severe. Folstein has problems for bilingual persons.

2. Mini-Cog: a 3 item recall & a clock drawing test. 2 -3 minutes to do. Should not be used alone as a diagnostic. Some gerontologists do this at every appointment - done by medical assistant usually - and it goes in their file to look at changes over time and then either a MOST or MMSE annually.

3. Memory Orientation Screening Test (MOST): 1. Memory -3 word recall; 2. Orientation - to year, season, time, month etc.; 3. Sequential – memory for a list of 12 items; 4. Time – organization and abstract thinking using a clock face. Takes 5 - 7 minutes. Gives a score from 0 – 29. Highly reliable.

Other tests: If Frontotemporal dementia is suspected, can have an Addenbrooke’s Cognitive Exam done. Not all dementias are the same: orientation, attention and memory are worse in ALZ; while language skills, ability to name objects and hallucinations are worse in other dementia’s, like Lewy Body.

Data analysis found the MOST to be more reliable over time and more accurate in identifying cognitively impaired patients than either the Folstein Mini Mental State Exam or the Mini-Cog. The MOST also measures changes in a patient’s memory over time. This permits the doctor to identify progressive loss or positive responses to treatment.

Having a baseline tests done & repeated is really helpful to be realistic about what careplan to take. As over time you can evaluate if a medication or an activity is making a worthwhile difference. Same with scan on brain shrinkage & what part of the brain. Good luck and try to keep a sense of humor.
(4)

Hi Ohio, I'm so sorry about your friend. The guilt really hits home to us the importance of maintaining our relationship with others in our life. Sometimes, we get so focused with our immediate problem, we forget about others in our life. When I read about your friend, I thought of your children, grands and your parents. It's been a while since you've seen them, maybe it's time to reconnect with them - by phone, by mail, by email, by text and by person. Please continue to move forward and include your family back into your life. Life is too short. And, well, we're all not getting younger...Hugs from All of us!!

I'm so sorry about your friend. Hugs from All of Us!!!
(1)

Well said, emjo!! Cattails
(1)

ohio - so glad you are making some progress. It is very sad about your friend, but hindsight is always perfect. I agree, don't beat yourself up and please don't feel guilty. I am sure most, if not all of us, have made similar decisions that we later regretted. I know I have.
I read the whole thread the other night - it is quite a read. Who needs fiction?
The MMSE assesses cognitive function, I believe, and the results do indicate some impairment - as the doc said - moderate Alz. I do hope this opens your husbands eyes to reality, and that home care is not appropriate. Stick to your guns, and apply those care giver skills to yourself. Everyone else does NOT have to come before you.Looks to me like some changes are happening.. Wonderful!!! A paranoid 90+year old woman with moderate Alz, and an absentee husband should not be ruling the roost.
and btw the best time between the sheets comes within a good relationship. :)
yes, let us know how your husband reacts to all of this
(4)

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

What does husband say about the medical report on his mother?
(0)

Ohio: You allowed yourself to be put in a situation that was abusive, crazy and out of control. When you can't be present in your own life, it's hard to be present for friends. I am sincerely sorry your friend passed away. I know it's a loss, but it is also a lessen to you and to all of us.

We all need to live in the NOW. I am sending you love and wishing the best for you. I hope you are making serious changes in your life. Don't continue to be a slave to your MIL or your husband.

Cattails
(1)

Yea!!!!! about the day care! This sounds great! When will this go into effect? And what does hubby think?
(0)

Ohio I liked your comment only because I'm so glad to hear from you. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Don't beat yourself up about it though. You miss her but you were taking care of someone you felt couldn't take care of herself. Use this as experience to give perspective so you don't lose out on others you love.
(2)

Update: geriatric doctor declared her incompetent. I got all forms filled out by doctor for guardianship. MMSE test done where she was 21/30. Does anyone know what that means? Doctor told me she is moderate alzheimer's. Also diagnosed her with paranoia and cannot be left alone. Highly suggested senior day care, not home care.
(2)

Hi All, I've had my hands so full here - I'm ok. Just saddened and feeling guilty - I lost a good friend this week, she passed away on Monday. We went through real estate school together in 2003 and remained good friends since then. We tried to make lunch together once a month or two, but since my husbands' mom came to live with us - I wasn't able to continue with our lunch times together, even dropped off the phone calls & facebook messages. This morning, I got an early phone call from my friends' husband, telling me that she had passed away early Monday morning & he was in tears. I went into shock - then guilt came on so strong. Here my friend had messaged me over having to go through a surgery and not feeling well, plus had to put her dog to sleep 2 weeks ago, messaged her how sorry I was - and would give her a call later. Well, later never came and now I can never talk to her again. I let her down.
(1)

I am with you, mrsribit! I am hoping her lack of communication is due to the extreme power outages that have devasted a good deal of the mid west and mid atlantic states.....
(1)

I've been praying for her. I guess you have a look into my imagination. I worry but I'm sure you're right Cattails.
(1)

Mrsribit and bookworm: Here's my guess. Ohio took her MIL to the doc on Friday. The weekends can be busy for her because her husband is usually home and she may be trying to talk some sense to him. She may be emotionally exhausted. She had an appointment with her attorney today and if she kept that appointment she is probably focused on what was said. She has a lot to think about.

She may be talking to her children, packing things up as she previously mentioned; the possibilities are endless. I am keeping positive thoughts for her and, like everyone, will be happy when we hear from her.

Cattails
(3)

Ohio hasn't posted since the 29th. I'm really worried. Does anyone know what's going on with her. Her last post was that she was taking her MIL to the doctor. 2 days earlier she said MIL was hiding knives.
(0)

Hi Ohio, I keep checking to see if you have any further updates. Last week, you had mentioned seeing a lawyer on Tuesday. So, I check...I forgot that where I live is 1 days ahead of you guys! So, I will check again tomorrow, my Wednesday but your Tuesday..Or maybe you need more time to think of what's happening with your life, so I will instead try on Thursday (or your Wednesday).

Either way, all of us are thinking of you. Whether you decide to stay with husband (please ensure you put some ground rules, though). Remember, your job is just as important to you as his job is to him. ...Or you decide that although you still love your husband, it's not an Equal relationship and therefore, you must move on with your life. Whatever you decide....know that we do still care for you and are anxious for any news. Take care!!
(2)

You really need to take a breath, look down the road and see yourself - what you need is time to return to a normal life, live and plan for your future. The life you are living now is a dead-end, literally, for you. Save yourself - husband and mother in law WILL SURVIVE. But if you keep on doing it all, you likely won't. Take care or yourself - we need the good guys in this world.
(2)

I am going to guess that part of your frustration stems from feeling like you should do all the things you are doing. But the problem is that while you're scrambling to the point of exhaustion, you're permitting your husband to maintain his illusions. It is time to let some consequences fall on him. Not being mean, but he has the luxury here - at your expense - so you're going to end up in a psyche ward or divorce court because you're shielding your husband from his own mother? How is that sensible?

When she digs through the garbage, leave it on the floor. I know it's nasty, but leave her pads and such alone. Yes, it is unsanitary, but he needs to come in at the end of the day and you greet him with, "Great! Now that you're here, I can get started cooking while you clean up after your mother. She's been such a handful today I couldn't get to it all!" (Smile but shake your head as if overwhelmed - because: YOU ARE!)

What is the WORST thing you can imagine happening in that scenario? That your husband is going to pack up and leave you because his mother made the house a disaster? And he's going to do what with her? Take her along? Maybe hire a caregiver? Maybe put her in a home? So my point is that until he experiences this problem personally - right with his own hands picking up sopping pads or scooping garbage out of the kitchen floor - he has no reason to seek change. You're making it all better for him and for her, but the cost is much to high for you.

Good luck & please find the courage and strength to take care of yourself before you're in endangering yourself.
(1)

I'm praying for you too Ohio. You'll figure this out. We're here behind you. Let us know how you're doing. We worry about you when we don't hear from you for a while.
(0)

Hey Ohio, sitting here thinking of you and praying for you. Are you ok?
(0)

As stated above, YOU are being abused.There are many kinds of abuse physical, verbal, emotional to name the ones that you are enduring from your husband and mother in law. You must stand up and take care of your self in this situation. Your husband and mother in law can afford the in home care for her. I know walking away does not seem like an option, but really it may be the only way to save yourself. Ask friends, relatives if you can stay with them till you get back on your feet. Call the local Womens Services for directions on legal help. This situation is a time bomb waiting to blow! If you have a clinical mental break down, physically get hurt trying to help his mother, or any number of scenarios that take you down, what kind of help would you be getting from them? NONE! Please remember who you are and were before this nightmare began. Wake up from it and be the capable, loving, happy person you can be again, before it is too late......
(5)

File for divorce...
get legal aide to help you...you are being abused and you need to take him for half of what he is worth and get an alimony too.
(3)

Ohio gal it is time you quit being the "good" girl taking care of everybody but yourself. If something happens to you, who would take care of MIL?? your husband?? And there is no "his" bills and 'Your" bills - when you are married they are a joint responsibility. At 57 you don't have much time to save for retirement. Tell husband you are getting day job. To find in-home care for his Mom. That you are not paying - it is his and his mother's responsibilityThen call Social Services and tell them situation. Once Protective services is involved he won't have much choice but to "pony up" expenses. If he is this ungrateful now, what happens when MIL passes. Do you think he will be there for you then. Obviously this is taking toll on your health. If something happens to you - then what?? Because MIL has money she will be responsible for paying for services.
I don't want to sound harsh because you are trying your best under horrible conditions. But there needs to be a responsible person and it looks like you are elected. Get MIL help, if hubby doesn't like it tough. Involve Social Services if you need to to get thru to him.
(3)

So, how did the doctor appointment go?
(0)

I'm not sure at what age "elder abuse" can be applied but I think it's worth checking into for yourself. Your husband is definitely abusing you in so many ways. Can you go stay with one of your children even for just a few days? Tell your husband in advance what you are going to do and DO IT! Perhaps your own doctor can step in and give you a "prescription" for some R & R.

Your MIL isn't really your responsibility.....she's your husband's and he is definitely passing the buck! Contact your MIL's doctor and ask for an in-home evaluation; check with an omonbudsmen (spelling?), There is help out there but you will have to do it and I know that thinking about doing even one more thing seems impossible to do but your own health and well being ae at stake and you deserve more than you are getting.

Can any of your children help you with information gathering? Could/would they help even from a distance ....i.e. not coming into your home? Now is the time to not keep things private but to reach out - you will be surprised as to how many people/services there are out there for someone in your situation.

Good luck and keep us posted!
(1)

Ohio, why are you taking care of HIS mother? And why does it sound like his income is for him and your income (now lack of it) is yours. Don't you pool your income and share expenses? I don't want to sound harsh but from what you describe you are the poster woman for being taken advantage of.
(0)

Ohio, maybe you ought to get a calculator and see how much it would've cost your husband, had he hired outside help for his mother instead of marrying it. Then when you decide to leave and think about his little stash of money, you'll not feel guilty for taking the 'due compensation' he owes you for all your work.
(2)

Keep laughing girl! It will help you through this tough time. Show the pictures to the doctor. Make sure you have a record of everything you've done for MIL. Poor thing, it's not where she wanted to be either. Just know that there will come someone to take care of her as you go on and take care of yourself. Prayers and hugs!
(1)

Ohio: I'm praying for you. Cattails
(2)

4 5 6 7 8
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter