Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
5 6 7 8 9
Ohio, I only had 1 session with a Male therapist. Of course, he may have been the same as your therapist - or maybe not. All I'm saying is that when I saw he was a Male, I wasn't too happy. Because of my dysfunction background, I knew that I will never be able to completely be open to him...like I have difficulty being open to every male medical doctors.

But despite him being a male, he was very, very pro-me. He was gungho on helping Me as a Caregiver. He was blunt and I liked it even though I didn't care for the message. But, the message was For My Benefit. He did not try to excuse my siblings nor sugarcoat it. He was blunt.

Your therapist does sound like he's defending your husband. You need to find another therapist. How can you pour your secrets to him if you now know he's defended your husband once? What I got in that 1 session of mine...was a LOT of helpful information that will help ME...and it was only 1-hour!

Ohio, sometimes, okay....a LOT of time, changes are Scary. Knowing that by leaving him, you will now truly be by Yourself. But you're not. You have parents who love you enough to actually MOVE closer to you and bro. If you read enough of this site, you will know that most older people Do Not Want to Move from their home. That is how much your parents love you! They gave up their home to be closer to you. They would welcome you into their homes with open hearts if you just give them an outline of your current life and marriage.

Your brother and your kids and grandkids love you. Please stop hiding your head under the sand. Open your eyes. SEE what is going on. Take care, okay?
(3)

The truth is ... I'm scared.
(1)

Yes...I Know...
(1)

You are scared and overwhelmed - you have reason to be more scared of staying, dear one, than going. What are you scared of?
(1)

Him
(1)

Oh my dear - are you afraid of physical abuse? Had he threatened you?
(0)

Ohio, has he been "man-handling" you recently? I had an idea he was abusive when he locked you out as punishment and thought you were going to bang on the door to beg to be let in. When you did the opposite and started walking down the road and he came after you with the car and you refused to get in, you had said that he gently manhandled you. There were other signs but you did not say anything. But I think another commentor saw this too.

I think Rovana mentioned a women's support group. You will need to contact one of these women's organization that helps abused women. It's a victim's advocate against crime. We also have one here - it's a Women's Shelter. Perhaps you can call first before you do anything that will trigger your husband.
(1)

I agree, if you are afraid of him call a women's shelter. He certainly is emotionally abusive. They can help guide you through the process of freeing yourself. I so want to see you enjoying your grandbabies and your kids... and yourself.
(1)

Ohio, please give a women's support group a call - you will be surprised how much they can help. Your parents, kids, grandkids and so many friends want to throw out the lifelines and pull you to safety - please grab ahold! I think you would be wise to plan your exit with their help. I suspect your husband could be dangerous. Please leave while you can still walk out - don't wait til you are carried out on a gurney.
God bless and keep you safe.
(2)

Ohio: If you are afraid that he will do something to hurt you physically if you leave, then talk to your attorney and see what is required for a restraining order. Have it in place. Actually, I think your husband is a coward. He is a bully and more than happy to treat you and your MIL badly because you will do nothing. Many and most times bullies are people that try to hurt those who they know have little defenses. If you leave, have a restraining order and stand calm in the face of their rants, they tend to deflate. They only want an easy target. Has he physically attacked you? I'm kind of doubting that because he can handle you by neglect so why the physical abuse. Tell us which is true.

I'd like to know if he has verbally threatened you. I mean beyond the comments that if you leave you will never get to come back. Has he threatened to hunt you down or take physical action against you if you leave.

Maybe you are afraid of him because he is so different than you ever realized. Whatever your fears are, let's hear them. If you get them out, they may lose their power over you. Have you told your therapist you are afraid of him?

I'd like to say that you have received excellent comments from the last 10 or so posters, especially the woman who shared about her mother's life. (I can't go back a page and pick out all the names or I will lose this post) But you know who they are.

Look, Ohio, your MIL has dementia; she's hateful and she doesn't like you. That could be the result of dementia or it could be that coupled with a personality disorder. I don't know, but what difference does it make. She will only get worse and you can't save her.

Make a plan. Make a plan. Make a plan. And get out!!!

Love, Cattails
(3)

Ohio, if my impression of your husband is being slightly physically abusive with you is Wrong, I am so sorry!!! But that was an impression I had from one of your earlier comments. Please clarify like Cat and Emjo requested. I don't want to put words in your mouth. Sincerely, bkwm
(0)

Unfortunately sometimes a counselor can be ineffective. Most likely is he's not hearing what you're saying. Of course your husband doesn't want to contemplate losing his mom - hence the title of this thread - but you killing yourself isn't going to impress that harsh fact on him. He does need help with his abandonment issues but unless you can do a mind meld to take away his hurt and give him what he needs to clearly look at what's ahead without flinching, you can't help him. He's drowning and taking you with him.
(0)

My husband does have anger issues, but does and has not physical hit me, no. But has pinned me down on the bed scaring me half to death, screaming at me. He has threatened to take gasoline to burn both of my vehicles. I did call 911 over that one, I truly thought he was going to do that. When he says something, I have no reason to believe he won't do it. He has thrown a peach at me that smacked the wall instead of me. He gets ugly mean with evil, cutting words and won't stop the verbal attack until I give. I have tried to walk away from fights, he comes after me - totally badgering me, screaming ... I shut down. I can't fight back. I get nauseated and honest to goodness, I am not lying, I feel like I could collaspe at that point. My jaw hurts, so afraid of having a heart attack because I am so afraid. These arguments are not often because I will do anything I can NOT to provoke them. I am a very passive person that can't handle even raising of voices or I tighten up getting sick inside. I am on double stomach meds now over issues, with a doctor telling me that if it doesn't quit aching, I need to have it scoped. I still hurt there, so I need to go back to really have it checked out.
(1)

You need to get out - you're a smart woman, you know this. Does anyone have any useful advice for this woman? You're being abused. Can one of your sons come over and drive one of your cars away? Can both come over and drive you the hell out of there? Restraining order? Anyone have any solid advice? I don't have any experience with this, but I do know, Ohio needs out of there. Ohio....does your counselor know any of this?
(2)

Ohio....does your counselor know any of this?

You ARE BEING ABUSED.
(3)

OhioGal - threatening, pinning down, yelling and screaming is abuse.
Here is some information from the Violence Intervention Services from University of Northern Iowa
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Examples of emotional abuse include constantly belittling, berating, isolating, ignoring, or rejecting someone.

Emotional abuse, like physical abuse, is used to control, demean, harm or punish the victim. While the forms of abuse may vary, the end result is the same – the victim is fearful of the abuser and walks on eggshells to please him/her and try to be safe from harm. Long term effects of emotional abuse include isolation and withdrawal from others, decreased self-esteem, depression, physical illness, alcohol and other drug use/abuse.

NOTE THIS: Emotional abuse is sometimes referred to as “pre-battering behavior”, as it often escalates to physical abuse.

Things to consider
•Know that you are not to blame for your partner’s abusive behavior.
•Recognize that you have the right to make your own decisions, in your own time, and that dealing with any form of abuse may take time.
•Recognize that emotional abuse should be taken seriously.
•Know that emotional abuse can escalate to physical violence.
•Find people to talk to that can support you. Consider getting individual counseling from professionals who are trained about abusive relationships and will hold your partner responsible for the abuse you are experiencing. HAH! -sorry I had to
•Do not give up if community professionals are not helpful. Keep looking for someone that will listen to you and take emotional abuse seriously
Trust yourself and your own experiences. Believe in your own strengths. Remember that you are your own best source of knowledge and strength.

Some victims leave, others stay, and yet others leave, but later return to their batterer, having been convinced that he has changed. To an outsider, this is frustrating and confusing. They wonder, “why would anyone stay in an abusive relationship?”

NOTE THIS TOO: Research shows that domestic violence tends to escalate in severity when victims communicate that they intend to leave or they actually leave the relationship. For this reason, it is very important to plan carefully to leave.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Google this site - Ohio Domestic Violence network, and particularly"Info for Survivors".

This list is from that site

Ohio Shelter and Program Referral List

If you are experiencing an emergency call 911 for immediate assistance. If you do not find your county or city listed below please contact ODVN at 800-934-9840 during the hours of 9:00 am to 5:00 pm for referral to an agency that can best serve you. Please note that not all programs listed here are shelter programs, some offer other services such as legal advocacy services. If you need to contact an advocate immediately and not during our regular business hours call the National Domestic Violence Hot Line, 24-hours a day, at 800-799-7233.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ohiogal - make that phone call to the ODVN at 800-934-9840 during the hours of 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. You can find out which agencies are in your area and get counselling and legal advocacy.

I think that letting your family know about the situation you are in is a good idea. Maybe your sons can come and get you out of there, but also contact the professionals at the number above, and make a plan to protect yourself. They have the resources you need.Once professionals are involved, you are better protected. and ditch that counsellor

Keep in touch, You know there are many here who care for you and are praying for you. We want to see you safe in all ways - physically, emotionally, spiritually. We want to see you reunited with those who love you. I remember way back you saying if this relationship did not work out you would never have another one. Never say never, dear one. You have a lot of healing to do, but never say never. In any case, with or without a partner, you can have a good life.

With much love and hope for your future (((((((hugs))))) and ♥♥♥ Joan
(6)

Ohio,please considered and listens to all those posters!! I was married to no good buster for 20 yrs... I divorced him 20 yrs ago that was best thing in my life!! He was very abusive with physically and mentally. Plus he was molested our own daughter....I thought he was abusing me because I couldn't speak enough English and I didn't know anything without him.... I'm Japanese so he call me all of kinds name. Each time after he hart me he did try to munipulate me because I did cause him to acting out this ways.. so much BS!!!
Please Ohio, those type of men who we once attracted but ASA seen sign of abuse/abusive start packing our bag...so before he and his family will hart you more. I do understand your situation. Can I say one more thing... This thread is not about caregiver for your MIL, it is your Life.....
I did posted about a month ago, I felt some abuse is going on..
Again, everyone reserves a little happiness, so you!!!
(5)

Ohio: I have questions, but before I list them you need to answer the biggest question. Have you reached a point where you WANT AND ARE WILLINGto leave your husband. We can all make suggestions, but if you have no intention of leaving then nothing we say makes any difference. It's a huge mistake for you to stay, but you know that so it's a question of what, if anything, you are willing to do to save your self.

Please answer these questions: I have a reason for asking them.

1. Are you willing to live at your parents house?
2. How far away do your parents live from your current residence?
3 Are you afraid your husband will harm you or your parents if you move and live with them?
4. Will you share this info with your counselor?

My guess is you have not shared with your counselor the extent of the abuse you live with because he would also advise you to leave and you have not made that decision for yourself yet.

You need a place to go and I have a gut feeling you would not consider a women's shelter. So if you want to leave him, you need to pick a place to go and make a plan.

If you are willing to leave we will all help you. You have options here. If you feel that you are safe at home right now as long as you don't make any waves, then you have some time to pack more of your things and get them quietly out of the house. I don't remember if your son is close enough to pick up your boxes/belongings with out creating undue attention, but if so that would be helpful.

The risk I see from moving things out slowly is that your husband may notice clothes or something other missing and then the shit will really hit the fan. For that reason I think it is better for you to pack everything you can while he is at work and leave in the same day. I'm hoping your son is close enough to bring another person (driver) with him, pack up all the cars and then drive away in one fell swoop.

I would suggest that you use that key and help yourself to some of his cash stash. Use a few bucks of it to pay someone to stay with his mom during the time between when you leave and he comes home. Take as money as you can because it will pay some of your bills and, like it or not, the cash is a joint asset.

Anything that you leave behind and want to retrieve later you can do with the help of the police department. I don't know about Florida, but in California, where I use to live, the police would come out and stand by while a person removed their personal belongings from their home in a domestic situation.

You could go to your local police department and talk with an officer about this after you leave. Or you could go in and tell them that you are in an abusive situation and will be leaving on a certain date. Make sure they understand that you are making a report just in case any difficulties arise during your leaving. Tell them that you want to be able to tell your husband that you have notified the police of you intent to leave and if they have not heard from you by that evening they will be coming to the house to check on you. I'm not sure they (police) will do this, but you can talk to them and see. Either way, it's a good back-up story to tell your hubby should he show up unexpectedly.

We can talk more about a plan, but best case scenario is just pack as much as you can and get the f*** out in one day. And please, don't ever go back. He will be a maniac for the rest of your life.

I know you have your business and don't want to leave the client base that you have built, but you have no friends there anyway. You need friends and you can make then in another area. You can go to support groups that deal with co-dependency and women's groups that help battered women. You are battered and I hope you realize that it doesn't take bruises and broken bones to qualify as battered.

You can build a new client base. Let's face it, the RE market has a long way to go so waiting for it to come back is going to take a long time. You don't have a long time. You can get a job doing in real estate sales elsewhere or maybe checking to pharmaceutical sales. That's a booming field. You can flip burgers if need be for some income.

Doors will open for you if you are willing to make a change and close the doors that don't serve your interests. You have to trust that the world is out there for you and you can be part of something much better.

Please respond to my email and know that all of us are praying for your safety and happiness. Love, Cattails
(4)

Yes, I don't want to waste anymore years on a marriage that has failed, even though I really tried. I didn't want to post here, just in the event he finds this, but I was advised to "try" to reach the 10 year marriage date, it opens more means of monies for me. This won't be until May of next year. Yes, I have told my counselor some of this, but he felt our relationship is suffering over the MIL issues and his sister's antics and cruel behaviors.
The attorney also says since I run my business out of my home, and have declared so on our taxes, he would like me stay in place for awhile, but fine to stay with family here and there, not to create waves. He will file a restraining order, have security thrown on this home, locks changed, with me being entitiled to stay for 30 to 60 days, giving the courts time to set up alimony and I can get everything out safely.
My parents are elderly, I don't want to bring harm to them. My mother could not take it, and my father is too feeble with Parkinson's disease and any stress brings on medical issues.
I need to be in my own place, one with good security in place, I have 9 1/2 months to reach that point.
This is why I have been doing so much thinking and not putting anything here for his eyes to find my strategy. I know all about the place where abused women stay, I give to that organization, and all I need to do is go to the police dept and they will have me picked up and located there. Ever since he threatened to pour gas on my vehicles, that phone number is in my cell phone, in my appt book, on my computer, in my file off site. I am prepared.
My parents will let me stay in their basement, but I could bring harm to them and I won[t do that. Not even to my children. and I will let my husband know that I am not staying with family, making that VERY clear. My parents live only 3 miles from here, where my son is only one street away. NOT GOOD!!!
(4)

He knows my passwords, logs onto my emails, posting this here could get me in trouble with him. But then I think, how can it get any worse ... I am already doomed.
(1)

And I don't drink, except my ice tea and coke ( cutting back to lose weight), I do not smoke, do not party, do not do drugs, only pills I take are for my stomach. I am a boring person at the moment, tied down here. Family functions don't happen anymore, no one wants to be around my MIL and that is sad. So here I sit.
(0)

I am SO glad you are taking action to improve your situation!
(1)

Well, now we know your agenda, and that you are bored.
(1)

Ohio, there is a way to stop the emails alerts from this site from going to your email. This will help avoid your husband from finding out that you are using this website. You see the box with your profile? Click on "EDIT ACCOUNT". Then click on "EMAILS and NEWSLETTERS" Then Uncheck Mark All the boxes so that Nothing is sent to your email.

Next, when you are done with this site for the day, you will need to Delete it from your Browser History. Sign Out. Then click on "TOOLS" on the top, then click on the box that says "Delete Browsing History" or it may have "Delete Browsing History of this Site." Click on it, and it will delete it. You need to do this every time you sign off from this site.

When I use my sister's computer, I always delete what site I've been using. There's really no need for her and the girls to see where I go on the internet.
(3)

Follow Bookworm's advise. Change your password to AC to something your husband doesn't know. Be safe. Love, Cattails
(2)

I would try to do my old job move out and let him deal with her then he will see how things really are why should you take care of her its his mother good luck God bless
(2)

After u follow B'Worms good advice, go back and read your whole thread straight through. Then follow EMJO-Joan and Cat's advice and begin working with a domestic violence agency (ONLY) for counseling. Isolation and dependence-especially financial dependence-are universal techniques employed by ALL abusers. Abuse is about power and control. You CAN have a good life. Can you maintain the same demeanor so as not to arouse any undue increase in controlling behaviors? The support here is some of the best anywhere. We will be here for you- thanks for being more honest with us. Have u changed those p-words yet? If not- can u make That your priority?
(4)

My heart goes out to you Ohio. This is way more than a person should have to bare. I'm sorry but I would like to shake some sense in your husband and the rest of his relatives.
Please don't quit your job. I was in real estate for almost 20 years and the money I lost due to giving it up to care for mom has been massive.
Can you tell your husband you are DONE!!!! Unplug micro, hide coffee pot, take knobs off stove and go to work. This sounds cruel but they all have the money to rectify the situation and are just using you.
I agree with zoey, this is the worst I have heard of. Bless your heart! And it is HIS mother whom you have only known since you married him. I would tell him it is on him now. And not coming right home. I would blow a gasket.
I'm worried about your health, the stress starts wearing on your immune system. So you don't share money but your stuck with all the caregiving for his mother.
This is so wrong on so many levels. The weight gain is probably from stress and cortisol hormones. Please have another talk with him. Show him the responses on this website. I'll pray for you! Hugs!
(2)

P.S.
I think the denial is "selective" denial. He knows, he just has you to do it.
(2)

Ohio, I'm so glad you shared your situation - it looks like you are planning for your exit, BUT I think this is a VERY dangerous man. Years ago I worked for a security company - my supervisors were all ex-cops - This is just the kind of situation where the guy blows sky-high and takes as many people with him as he can. I hope your lawyer is aware of the danger - sometimes they think of legal strategy and money, when it's time to think of simply surviving! All this careful financial planning will do you no good if you are dead. Be sure the police know what the situation really is, work with the battered women's counselors to get out safely. Cattails has a good point about doing it fast while he is at work. This guy is much too dangerous to spend any time around. This is the type that absolutely has to have it his way or the world ends, you with it.
God bless and protect you.
(5)

5 6 7 8 9
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter