Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
OhioGal, you are no loser, nor are you weak. On the contrary, you are too conscientious and too strong for your own good. You are aware that slavery is not legal in this country anymore?
I can think of 2 women I know who finally walked - the first cleaned the house, did the laundry and stocked the freezer. Then left a note saying the marriage was in trouble and what did he want to do about it? He and the kids frantically called his sister, my friend. She gently asked him if he was really so clueless? Well, they did work it out - they were very concerned for minor children, which is not your issue.
The second planned her escape very carefully - she had good reason to be afraid for her safety. She removed her personal property quietly over several months, squirreled away what money she could, worked with friends who wanted to help her and finally when he came back one Sunday after a weekend away, she just was not there and no one knew anything about it. He did get a letter a few days later, forwarded from her attorney, explaining that if anything were to happen to his wife, he, the attorney, was holding a package to be sent to the IRS. A year later, she has regained her health and is now happily on her own.
Whatever you decide to do, it should be your decision. You cannot control your MIL or your husband or his family - it is not wise to make your decision based on the idea that others will change. So far they haven't done so. But you do need to love yourself. And please do not discount the possibility of physical abuse - I presume you have no guns in the house; lock up knives, chemicals etc. Never underestimate a deranged person. Very best wishes and prayers - you CAN get out of this situation.
(2)

JeanneGibbs, Well today is a new day. I sat 4 1/2 hours with a senior advisor here in our town, while step-daughter watched MIL. Her medicare A & B will pay for skilled nursing care, O/T & P/T in our home 100%. I have scheduled her an appt with the Geriatric Doctor for Friday for re-evaluation & pick up the referral for the skill center. Doctor is also writing a prescription for a different walker that will better assist her. Thursday I have set up an appt for both hubby & I to meet with an attorney over guardianship/POA, which ever they feel is best. This firm ONLY handles Seniors/Aging/Disability Issues. We must pay $200 for the consultation fee (I negotiated down from $225). This firm also has social workers on staff to assist. And husband taking off work early to make this appointment. He figured it would cost $5000 & he wasn't willing to spend that so that made him happy. It depends on which way to go on the fee schedule, but even the worst possible case should only reach $2250 she said to cover all fees for guardianship. That's not bad considering it puts a stop to the thousands leaving her bank account right now that we may have to spend on her future care, because she will be broke from making bad decisions, feeling sorry for her daughter, handing out large sums of money her way.
It will cost us $600 a week for 30 hours of assisted non-medical in-home care & they are trying to help me with another avenue of 1 week a month in assisted living/alzhemier's home that will be partially covered for a 24/7 stay @ 7 days. I am thankful for the physical therapy being covered 100% , she needs that. Then her money can cover the other IF we can get the attorney's help & court approval. I feel like a major hurdle is finally making way.
I turned his sister in to the Adult Protective Services, over the money draining & felt they should know about what happened in Florida (daughter assault/battery against MIL, which is still an open case). Also, letting them know about treating her wrongly in their home. It was the APS person telling me the "right" people/firm to contact to stop this (the attorney I set the appt with). They can not step in at this point, but did open a file for us.
My husband still denies his mom needs to be in a full time facility & doesn't believe that alzheimer's can cause an elderly person to lose their ability to swallow, needing feeding tubes. Also can lose the ability to urinate on their own, needing cathiters (spelling?). And this is part of the reason she is losing her ability to walk & have balance. Dizziness is setting in also, which is the other reason I need her to be seen by the Geriatric Doctor. BIG ALSO, I am taking her instead of my husband so he can hear the REAL story, not the one my husband tells.
(2)

LOL JeanneGibbs - what I meant was, regarding not having another man in my life, was ...
IF this marriage fails, and if it does I accept it, but I don't ever plan on marrying again. I will work 2 jobs if necessary to be on my own. I used to think that I needed a man to feel good about myself, someone to go out with, protect me, security - but I have found other single women doing fantastic on their own. After 27 yrs in one marriage and almost 10 with this one - nope, my experience has been, they only break your heart. I love to travel, I have great children and grandchildren, I still have both of my parents living and luckily in pretty good health, my career is very rewarding, started back going to church - my future isn't too bleak if I leave. But I will miss what I had - the good years with him. But not giving up yet.
(2)

Elisa1961. No offense taken. I need to hear to believe, I guess. Just like I am saying about my husband feeling his mother doesn't need extra care, is fine being alone for periods of time, and he USED to feel I was lying about her. I just didn't want her here, so IF I lied about her abusive ways - he would make her leave. He still thinks that I am just "dumb and ignorant" about paying any attention to the words that come out of MIL's mouth. He said it should not hurt me at all, unless it's true. So, is it true? Is that why I am so upset? Geez, that hurt more than all the insults thrown at me by his mom. To have him NOT believe me - that was when I started voice recording the outbursts or putting a call in to him on speaker phone where he actually heard some of the craziness going on . To hear, is to believe. To see, is to believe. So write on, maybe after a couple more posts I will believe more about the total picture of what is going on in my life, too. More than MIL issues.
(1)

Igloo522. Husband explained he had been married to someone that he had dated a few years before they actually got married. They had children after being married a couple years, even though he did not want any. He was heavy into drag racing & was one of the popular star drag racers that travelled, he being the driver with a team that worked on the car. He was away from home a lot. We have photo's and awards/trophies to show that, plus hours of video.
I have talked to his ex-wife, who felt it was important to "warn me" because I was too nice for him. She had told me he was selfish, if the girls wanted something, she had to work to pay for it. His overtime money was his to spend. She didn't like to cook & they went out to eat almost every night. That cost money, and he paid for all meals out, the house payment, car payments, utilities, insurances - all bills to run the household. He was not one to hand over money for clothes, school activities, band instruments, ice skating lessons, swim lessons - she had to pay for those. She also said, with 2 girls, what she made almost zero'd out because of the child care she paid for, so she didn't always work. Didn't make sense. He would not pay for child care. It was easier to work, once the girls were in school. She was a church goer and sunday school teacher. They did not party, get drunk, she felt a boring life - which was not for her. They did have excellent trips & vacations, but hated her mother-in-law because of her accusations, trying to break up their marriage from early on. She is 2 yrs younger than him, pretty, still thin - but she walks around with a chip on her shoulder full of woe is me. Blaming him for her sucky life now. But she has a college 4 yr degree from Ashland College that has never been used. She can't hold a job, has been let go from a few. She gets drunk now & loves going to bars. Never re-married but still living with the man she left her husband for. She is not a happy person, not at all. I see her often around town. Wears make-up, like painted on with strong red lipstick. Hair is naturally dark brown, but bleaching it blonde that looks awful. She is so pretty with her natural color hair, don't understand why she is doing a 360 degree from earlier married life. Quit church, goes to bar, living unmarried with a man, wears clothes that should be worn by someone much younger, some close to being slutty being skin tight & very very low cut, I don't understand.
My husband tells me pretty much the same story, how this straight laced woman is now a party girl. He said she would never dress like that, drank, or wanted to go to bars. They were a very christian family. So I don't know.
His daughters tell me that their mom would leave them alone and not come home until their dad was supposed to be home, when they were 8 & 10 and told not to tell dad. She had started running around on him when he went on 2nd shift. Then she found a man who wanted her - so she left. She's been partying with him ever since.
I've been told that women who "chase" aren't taken care of at home, something is lacking in the relationship. I just think she no longer wanted to be a mom or wife. She didn't even want both children. Giving the youngest to my husband to raise and she took the older one. Isn't that weird? Not to want a child?
I had to deal with that one, since the youngest lived with us. She wanted to be with her mom, but mom said NO!. Refused to take her. In her junior year of high school, her grandmother on her mom's side was needing someone to live with her as her health & diabetes was bad. We let her go, but stayed active in her life where her grandmother died within 2 yrs. It was good that we allowed her to be with her grandmother. If we hadn't, she would have resented us. She then moved in with her mom after the oldest daughter moved to Florida to work at Disney.
The oldest is living with us now, because dad pays for everything & is helping her go to college. I am all for it. I don't like student loans & as long as she continues to be an A or B student - we help. She graduates from college next May. We are very proud of her. Meanwhile, younger daughter got kicked out of mom's, came back to live with us for 6-7 months, found a boyfriend who we did not approve of, moved out to be with him, got pregnant & has a little girl now. I was hard on her while she was here, I admit that. Instead of looking for a job, she sat here playing world of warcraft, wanted to wear this dark gothic clothes, painted face, and I made her change once when she thought she was going out in a black short hooker skirt. I wanted her to go to college or technical school - not for her. Nope, no part of going back to any school. She really was addicted to this game & if we cut the internet off, she went hostile. It was not a good time, but I tried.
My husband has a great relationship with the oldest that lives with us, and a somewhat ok relationship with the youngest, because she doesn't do what she should. Extemely argumentative, won't listen, and feels the world is against her. But they are on their own, ok apartment, boyfriend works full time to support them, they will be ok.
Oh dear, here I go writing another book. No one is going to take the time to read this...Sorry.
(1)

Hey Ohio, I know about verbal abuse. Before I found the "kick ass girls", I was at such a low point In my mental health I truly believe, as my husband and girls do that I was headed for a nervous break down. I'm still having such bad moments that I think it will never end. But it is going to. Until or when you feel ok that's it, I'm over this. Or maybe it's important enough that you keep hanging on to make it work. Regardless, keep posting. If your having a bad day with certain aspects of mil's care, there are men and women on here who make remarkable suggestions that can work in your dealing with her. After all, this is a caregiver support group. Everyone has more experience than I do in regards to everyday solutions. You touched that soft spot in our hearts with the husband issues. And I hope you keep posting about those too. Because both issues make the whole. If you get time, and you will need to have the free time, go to my thread. Read the support I received. It's called being proactive. Because to effect chane, you have to want the change. Much love and hope to you, Lisa
(2)

Bookworm84. I cried after reading your post. I am so so sorry for your sister. And to kill the baby? OMG. And yes, same scenario, we have family funds money (which equals house payment, utilities, food - giving me $725 wk to cover) while I cover house/car insurances, timeshare maint/taxes, life insurance & dog food, cleaning products - from my monthly pension ck). Any money he makes above $725 is his. Any money from real estate is not exactly mine but MINE to pay for home repairs, equipment, extra's. He knows when I get a check and there is always something to pay on or get. Three years ago, we needed a roof. When he thought I was going to cover that expense 100% - I took a step back and said no. I quit paying since he was not contributing to any of the home repairs or car repairs. He was blowing money on guitars, guns & toys. He ended up paying for the roof, had to have one since it started leaking into the home in a few areas, but he waited until it was really really bad. He thought he could get me to change my mind. Nope. Didn't. He paid for it 100%.
I had $30,000 from prior divorce settlement, had my 401K, all gone now. I lost it due to poor real estate market last year and then dealing with taking care of his mom where I can't work or concentrate. Health issues hurt too. Can't function with migraine & nausea.
I'm anxious to see how all will be, once I get MIL taken care of. But IF he does not follow through, I can not stay here. I already gave up a year of my life, practically grounded to her. And for what? My crazy belief that someday I may find myself with alzheimer's but I won't burden my children as she does. Life lesson learned here.
(0)

Waddle1, Yes, I am absorbing LIKE A SPONGE while reading til my eyes are sore. Some posts make me cry, because they touch my heart, not because it brings me pain. I can take bluntness - I live with it every day. I wish I had a marriage like my parents have, my mother is my idol. So giving, so caring, never a mean word to say. My dad adores her, would do anything for her. They have been married close to 60 years now - and what an example they have been to my family. There has not been ONE divorce in my family until me. And then I went on to LIVE unmarried with a guy for a year? I was almost disowned, by then my mother told me, I am praying for you. I may not understand why you are doing as you do, but I will always love you & pray good things come your way. My mom has been my angel during this mess. She doesn't understand why my husband has turned away, leaving me in such dispair. I will also add, that she doesn't condemn me or try to tell me what to do. Sometimes I wish she would!!!
(1)

Vstefans. Understood. My MIL has been evaluated by 2 different Geriatric Physicians, both with the Cleveland Clinic. They wanted her to be on this patch, but her skin kept breaking out in sores. The drug started with an excelon ? something like that. I have the exact name in my file. I have a database where I record every doctor visit, list any drug or test given, have a copy faxed to me whenever blood work done for our records. This woman is healthy as an OX, as far as her blood work - numbers all within the guidelines. I have a cardiologist that sees her every 3 months, since her blood pressure has been scary high. Example: 08-12-11 190/84 (It took awhile for me to get her into see a physician since bringing her to Ohio, considered a "new" patient). Was prescribed Lisinopril 20 or maybe 25 mg. Went back 8-31-11, now 160/90, doubled prescription to current level Lisinopril 40 mg 1x in morning, at breakfast. Back 10/26/11, 158/82, doctor doubting that she is really swallowing the pill. Now prescribed an anxiety medication to see if that will help, Alprazolam 25 mg, 1/2 to 1 tablet 3x a day (she would only take it before bed, to try to sleep because she was so anxious). The doctor ordered an echocardiogram & blood work since the blood pressure remained high, checking on possible heart damage. But everything came back great. No issues. Back 12/22/11, Blood pressure up to 160/80, her daughter took her & she was agitated. Back 3/19/12, Better 138/70 but she hardly takes an anxiety pill, only before going to bed. Back 6/8/12 - back high, 150/80 but she was upset over daughter wanting her car & had been with daughter all week.
Normally, I can keep her calm here, but over at ther daughter's it is hectic with children and grandchildren running around, the home is very small & it makes my MIL very nervous. When there, I am told that she takes the anxiety pill 3x a day, and when I call to talk to her, making sure she is ok, her speech is slurred like she is drunk. But daughter says MIL needs the drugs to cope.
The Geriatric doctor recommended not to give her the alprazolam since it has been known to make the elderly "off balance" and she has true balance issues, poor mobility. He did not want to go against another doctor, so he has asked if perhaps Namenda might be a better choice. Do you know anything about this?
She also had a staph infection when we brought her to Ohio in July 2011, that had to be treated. She also had tear duct repair over eyes not tearing. That was more doctor visits. Her old hearing aid quit working, so I took her to get new hearing aids, she is SO deaf - but even after 5 visits back to hearing aid doctor, so refuses to wear them - says they don't work, they plug her ears. They are excellent hearing aids, so I don't know why she won't just try to wear them. It would life here so much better.
Her skin is thin, bruises easily. I have to check her feet often, because they get dry & I have to put lotion on them (she can't reach).
She has a disease called Pagent's, where "if she falls, she breaks", and has had 2 broken hip surgeries from falls, 3 arm surgeries with plates & rods over falls, but since she has lived with us, NO BREAKS from falls - because I am there, or try to be. Making sure she has solid food & have her drinking ensure for extra nutrients. I am more than her caregiver, lol. I take this seriously, if there is something that can be done to make her feel better - I am going to do it. I read and try to share my findings with my husband, and he is tired of it. Most of the time he tells me it doesn't matter. What happens, happens. Her medical issues are not under our control - but it is. Unless I am not understanding this. I try very hard to give her balanced meals, watch her water intake, medicene - and every blood test comes back good. I make her walk, do minor exercises that she thinks is dumb sometimes, but she is not wheelchair bound. She needs more - but I am no nurse or doctor or therapist. Any other ideas that I can do for her?
(0)

rovana, Yes, she has stated more than once, that she wished that she had died - because after that surgery, one leg is now one inch shorter than the other, she did not heal as quickly and 100% back to being able to do what she was able to do before. Walker bound, balance issues, says she hurts all the time. She lived on 2 acres with a nice home for 25 yrs there, after retiring from Ohio. She has enjoyed a fantastic retirement! Living all alone, with her property and land her best friend. Even in her 80's , she used a riding lawn mower to keep all 2 acres mowed, weedeated, trimmed, had flower beds that she kept weeded, even climbed ladders to clean pine needles out of her gutters. There was NOTHING this woman did not do, until this last fall. Everything changed. Do I wish she had died? NO. I have been glad for the opportunity to know her better and she takes the time to show me photos and tells stories of her family and my husband's life growing up. She did change after this, doctors in Florida said she suffered brain damages with gray matter ? I don't quite understand it. The hallucinations she describes are horrific, when going in and out of the coma. Then she describes her husband singing to her (Jesus loves me) with his hand out to come, but she was saying no. She needed to stay for the kids. It gives me chills. She was one sweet lady when I first met her in 2002. But since 2008 - she swings from nice to devil mean. No one wants to be around her. I try to give her things to do, to keep her busy and out of my hair while trying to work. Example: I gets gobs of coupons & flyers. I give her childrens scissors, ask her to cut coupons out to save us money so we can afford food. (We can afford food but it goes back to her memories of depression days where she was so hungry). She relates to this, and cuts away, feeling productive. Then I have her go through them to sort out ones she would really like me to get from the store. That ties her up for a couple hours. She will even want paper at times, to write a list. But it makes her feel good , like she is helping. No, as much as I don't want to be around her at times, I don't wish her life to end. And I do pray, when the time comes, let it be in her sleep - so she doesn't suffer. And don't let it be here in my house! I can't handle that one. No No NO. That terrifies me so much!! I have been taught CPR and I have my mask handy. But I don't know if I could do it ... being too nervous & emotional .
(1)

Ohio: You get 5 BIG GOLD STARS and then some. Good for you and all you accomplished today. You sound good, like you are empowered. You are learning and getting the ducks in a row. Taking action and that is empowering. I am so happy for you and in awe of what you are doing.

Good for you. Keep us posted. I know we are all impressed and rooting for you.

Love and Hugs, Cattails
(1)

JeanneGibbs. After going through one divorce and having a bad arguement here once, with him pushing me out the door in the winter, and I didn't know anyone here with no place to go. No purse. No keys. So instead of banging on the door, or crying please forgive me, let me in - I walked off the porch and down the driveway. We live 680ft from the road. Long drive. While walking & believe me IT WAS COLD, at least I had a coat on & my shoes - I was trying to figure out what the heck am I gonna do now. No time for tears. I was in shock - could not believe this was happening to me. Decided ok, I will walk to the police station (which was about 5 miles away). As I got to the road, he was in the car telling me to get in. At that point, I became angry, Telling him no. He ended up stopping the car, grabbed my arm & escorted me into the car a little roughly. Slammed the door while my mind was racing, wondering what do I do. Did I make a mistake?
He never said he was sorry, (he never does). Told me I needed to understand real life - I'm no princess. I will NEVER forgot those words. The argument was over me buying a new winter coat with money my mother sent to me. I learned that I don't go shopping without telling him. That has since changed because that is childish. He feared I was going to be like his ex-wife and run up charge cards. (well, she did that because she wanted the girls to have things & he wouldn't give her money- said that was her job to provide that part, remember, he didn't want kids). That was cold but I really didn't think he meant it. Sometimes men will say things to sound tough and gruff, puffery, I never believed he didn't want children even after they were born. But he really did mean it. In fact, when child number 2 happened, he was laid off work - no insurance, exwife gets pregnant, instead of being nice, he told her to get an abortion, yelled over why didn't she take her birth control pills like she should? Ex-wife told me that one, I didn't believe her - just felt she was wanting me out of his life. Turns out, after a couple years earlier, he told me that was true. He didn't want the second child AT ALL. Was very angry over it. I am surprised she stayed strong and had the baby. But this is the child from hell. I haven't explained the youngest one. After she was born, this child had many childhood illness' like ear infections, croup, colds, always sick and cried a lot. I have been told that she threw horrendous fits, kicked like a mule, fought them, would roll her eyes back where only the whites would show, then her nose would squirt out blood because she was so mad. Her older sister was afraid of her. She did not do well in school, was ADHD with hearing loss and quick to physically fight. She tried more than once to harm her sister and was entered into counseling ever since 2nd grade, was still in counseling when I met her. Her mother did not want her although she adored the oldest one. I know this sounds like a movie or story telling soap opera, but this is the God's Honest Truth. This is why the oldest sister has NOTHING to do with her younger sister. When the youngest comes over, the older one leaves. The younger one is trying to be nice and find a relationship now with her older sister but older sister wants NO part of her. I felt, when I entered this family, that they just didn't understand the needs of the younger one. Yes, she was hard headed, but I made sure her homework was completed and I checked it before she was allowed priviledges. Her mother didn't care what she did. Never helped her do homework. Dad worked nights, didn't know this was going on. I got her grades up, worked with the teachers and her excuses did not fly with me. I checked out her friends, rarely allowed a sleep over because I could not trust her to be where she said she would be. Never had a daughter, I had 3 boys - it was hard, but I feel she would have been a high school drop out or a druggie had I not been involved. Even when she went to live with her grandma, she tried to get away with things - but I kept close tabs on her. My famous words were "busted". When husband and ex-spouse broke up, ex-spouse refused to take the younger one, I still can't believe a mother not wanting a child. We had a lot of damage repair over this, because she cried and cried, acted out missing her sister and mom. I think that is why my husband needed me so badly to move in right away. It was so clear after I did. His daughter needed direction. The only life I have known has been "caregiver". From little brother, to a grandparent, to babysitting, to my own children, grandchildren, friends - I am a giver. Many times, forget what I want - my time needs to be spent here. I do this with pets, too. I have nursed thrown away pets, got them back to being healthy, most I kept but a few I found good homes for. I don't know any other way - I "mother" everything, look for the good in everyone. Or try to fix, help, assist.
(2)

OMG. You are person who rescues abandoned animals and your husband is a person who wouldn't even pay for his own children's needs. I've heard that opposites attract, but this is a pretty extreme case!

Being a carer is WONDERFUL. The world needs more people like you. Being a human doormat is far less admirable. I hope you can keep the difference firmly in mind!

I am soooo glad you are making progress in getting some help with mil. You go, girl!

(Many people are totally ignorant of what dementia or brain damage entails. Every single bodily function is controlled in the brain, and when the brain malfunctions it is amazing how that can show up. I don't blame your husband for not knowing that -- who does, when we first encounter it up close and personal? But I do blame your husband if he isn't willing to educate himself and if he insists that his screwy ideas are right.)

By the way -- switch in topics here -- I too learned CPR once. My husband's wishes are quite clear and in writing and notarized. Should he have a heart attack he does NOT want to be resuccitated. He feels cheated that his brothers all died of cardiac problems and he is saddled with dementia. I would never go against his wishes and perform CPR on him, or let others do so. Not that either of us is against the procedure in the right circumstances. Nearly twenty years ago neighbors did CPR after he fell off a ladder. We were/are grateful. That was then. This is now. Whole different ballgame. Does MIL have a healthcare directive? Would she want you to perform CPR? Could you respect her wishes if the time comes? Just some things to think about ... in your spare time. :-)
(3)

Elise1961, It's getting late and I try to answer anyone that posts - because it's important to me. You've taken time to write and share advice - I do appreciate every one of them. My doctor was very stern with me over not having an outlet, which is why I am in counseling. This counselor is male, which threw me - I don't know why I was expecting a female - but he is specializing in helping those that care for elderly parents & senior care. I don't know if I agree with everything that he has suggested me to do. What are your thoughts on this: Do not "ask" because it confuses them. So don't say, are you ready for breakfast now? Instead, say, breakfast is ready. Short, simple command they can process easily. Don't say what time are you wanting a bath today? Instead say, It's time for your shower. I thought about throwing this out to the group, if this works? Short, simple sentences instead of how I have been doing things.
(2)

Thanks cattails. I am just tired of my husband not following through on things. Why should I think he would do as he said? He procrastinates over EVERYTHING, and waits to do anything until it HAS to be done or pushed into doing it.
This site has encouraged me and pointed me to the right directions on seeking help. This is exciting and gives me hope where I was in total despair when I first wrote.
I mean, why would my family doctor ask me if I had suicidal thoughts? He must be sensing my desparation and feeling like the hamster that continues to run and run, never getting anywhere on that wheel. But no way am I that far down and depressed to take my own life. No, no, no. But cry my eyes out, yes. Want to bury my head in the pillow and sleep some days? yes. Walk out the door? yes. Run away? yes.
But that doesn't solve any issues.
I feel good that I accomplished so much - and I am not stopping now. And I have to give credit to everyone that has posted here. Giving me courage to just do it no matter what my husband feels and says, it's the right thing to do.
Thanks everyone!! Have a good night....
(3)

Ohio: I've reread all the post here again. Since the beginning I have had this same thought. Years ago Jennifer Lopez made a movie called "ENOUGH". She wanted to raise awareness of abuse that women all over the country were subjected to. Not only the physical, but the mental too. Go rent that movie please. Has anyone else seen this movie? The male lead was a controlling, mentally abusive man who kept his wife under his thumb. He would not allow her to keep her friendships after they were married, no contact with family. Not allowed to work. Stay at home mother. Honey your husband sounds like he has so many of those traits it's scary. Just my thoughts. You may feel perfectly safe with him. It makes me worry. Stay strong and be safe, love to you, lisa
(2)

Yes, I've seen "Enough". "Sleeping With The Enemy" is another good one.
(1)

Yep, definitely, short simple sentences. The fewer choices the better. It is a burden to have to make decisions when your brain isn't working right.

If the loved one likes to feel in charge and making choices contributes to that, then make the choices simple. Don't say, "what do you want to wear today?" but say, "Would you like to wear your nice red sweater or the cute blue one?"

Do NOT give a choice unless you are prepared to accept their answer. If you say "Do you want to take a bath?" then be prepared to respect the answer "No." Don't pretend to give them a choice and then not respect the choice they make.

Too many choices are overwhelming. "Would you rather watch television, or take a nap, or should we go for a walk?" is waaaay too much to process. "Should I help you find something on tv?" is enough to have to decide at once. And some days it is too much. "I'm going to turn the baseball game on now," might be quite enough. And then watch whether that seems to be pleasig them.

Are you afraid of coming across as too bossy? That is kind of you, but, really, reducing the amount of mental processing your MIL has to do just to get through the day is a kindness. "Breakfast is ready now" is not bossy. It is helpful. You'll say it cheerfully and matter-of-factly and it wouldn't seem bossy at all.

If you want to help her exercise her mind, work a simple crossword or jigsaw puzzle with her. Don't make her jump through mental hoops just to get dressed or groomed or fed! Doing a little puzzle can be fun. Figuring out what to wear and when to eat and whether to take a walk can just be burdensome.

But, try it for yourself and see how it works for you!
(3)

JeanneGibbs, I never know what your post is going to say. I start with one eye open with one eye sorta shut, afraid of what you are going to say...lol. You should be a writer. Your way with words is like sitting across the room from you, like having a conversation one on one with you close by. See, I can't explain it like I want to - can't find the right words. It's late anyway, no telling what gibberish I might type now. It's been such a long day. At least no antics from MIL - doing the happy dance today!! And I was able to get many tasks underway. That was exciting. Like FINALLY - maybe I can get something accomplished for her and myself.
OMG - yes, my husband and I are 100% total opposites when it comes to personality traits. But we have so many common interests - my life has been fun, for most of the time. He is loud - I am quiet. He speaks without thinking - I have to think before I talk, wanting to say the right words instead of blurting out. He uses his hands when he talks with gestures - I usually quietly stand, with one hand on table the other holding something. Now that brings up something that is a strange habit of mine. I am almost always holding something! A book, a towel, a piece of paper, my cell phone, hardly ever am I walking around with NOTHING in my hand or under my arm. Why on earth am I thinking about that now? It's late and I am tired. Maybe that's why.
Ok, I continue. He has blonde hair, mine is dark brown. He is short. I am tall. He has blue eyes. Mine are green. He makes fast quick decisions usually saying no first. I have to think before making a decision, usually saying let me see or let me think about that first. He can lash out and call names, pure anger. Then forget it ever happened just as fast as it started. I can't forget, it lingers on for days. Not that I am holding a grudge, but hanging on to guilt wondering what did I do wrong to bring this on . That's another thing, why do I feel it's always my fault? Ok, getting way off subject - I try to stay so positive in my negative world. He is NOT a positive person, like myself. He is negative to me. Always. Like, why on earth are you doing that? We are both educated with college & degrees. In fact, I can brag here, I carry a 4.0 for my paralegal degree - well, almost finished it. Two required classes to go. I was working full time and going to school evenings, plus raising a family. It wasn't easy, but I was determined to try another field of work. It sounded like it paid well. I've been wanting to go back and finish.
Ok, stopping now. Good night everyone - let's see what tomorrow throws my way - and it better be roses, not thorns!!
(1)

Ohio, we are suspecting my mil has ALZ. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on. I want to be educated as much as I can since I have no hands on experience. I have read exactly what you were advised to do. Also another important one. Never tell them they are repeating theirselves. He or she thinks they are telling you for the first time. Instead, act like it's the first time your hearing it. Pointing it out to them causes anxiety. Again, this is what I'm reading. I have no hands on experience. What do you think Jeanne. Was she given sound advice and am I headed in the right direction. Ohio, my next stop is the library this week. I want to educate myself. I've even thought about volunteering at a local nursing home one or 2 days a week. In comes some experience, but how rewarding to spread a little love and hopefully relieve some loneliness for ones who dosen't have family, or the family who simply live too far away to visit regularly. Wow, I finally spoke out loud. I think I'm gonna do it girls!!!!
(0)

Ohio. One thought. Your MIL has said she wants to die. I'm sure she wouldn't make it happen but sounds like she would be DNR if asked. That is short for do not resuscitate, I'm sure most everyone knows but making sure. The reason to clarify this is that at your MIL's age her bones are fragile. If you tried CPR compressions you would likely cause rib fractures, a very painful condition. This could lead to disaster. She needs to be able to go when it's time. My father died in early April. He was sick and refused to let me take him to the doctor. He was shivering violently and had pain right below the rib cage. He had the right to say no to medical help but told me in answer to my request of what to do, that if he couldn't talk to me any more that I would have to decide what to do. I called 911 when he became unresponsive. When he was in the ER they found that he had a gall bladder infection that became septic, or throughout his body. It caused heart failure. I had the doctor give him medication that kept his heart beating and brought his blood pressure up from 59/29. The surgeon wouldn't do the surgery because he wasn't stable. His blood pressure wouldn't stay up. All of the fluids he got couldn't stabilize his BP. We realized that we were just prolonging the inevitable and felt that after talking to the doctor we should stop the medication. Before we could have the medication stopped we told Dad what we thought we should do, and he just let go, he passed on his terms. He was ready to go. I don't regret not calling the paramedics earlier because he had the right to decide.
I don't know if MIL is alert enough to make an informed decision but would you want to have someone do CPR on you if there was a good chance of broken bones or being on life support? Think it through, talk to the doctor if you need more info. You will probably want to decide what you want for yourself too. You want to make the decision before you lose the ability to decide.
(2)

Ohio, you did a lot in regards to your MIL in such a short time! Wow! I'm so proud of you! It's obvious to me that you're a fighter, pro-active. I think in the beginning of this thread, you were overwhelmed. Now, you have goals. I'm glad. Like everyone said, please keep us updated.

Lisa, I had always wanted to do volunteer work since I was a teenager. For Years, it was one of my "to do" list in life. Howver, after experiencing it first hand every day for Years, that is one item I threw out. People say it's different when you caregive to non-family member. I think my problem is I no longer have patience. But, I think it's great that you want to volunteer. Go for it! I think you will learn A LOT of first hand experience that will definitely come in handy when MIL is at that stage. You won't be learning piecemeal nuggets of great ideas like we did.
(1)

Ohio, I am am a member of Weight Watchers online. It is a site that among other things we have the option to make friends with others online and can encourage much in the same way we do here. One of my friends posted on her blog on the site and I wanted you to have the option to read it. I've copied and pasted it below :

Believe and Have Faith
Written by moonstone722 (marcee) on 6/26/2012 2:58 PM

Whenever I tell my husband I don’t believe I can do something, he tells me I don’t have to believe it. Just believe in him because he believes in me. He tells me to believe in the one who believes in me.

Over this past week there have been so many people who are discouraged with their participation in their program. Some want to quit and others are determined work the program. Some years ago I read this article and wanted to share it with you.

5 Reasons to Believe in Yourself (Article by Carolyn Jelango)

Sometimes people will ignite your passion for achievement by believing, championing and supporting you. But then a time comes in the journey of life, when you have to rise to the occasion and face the challenges of life on your own.

It is therefore important to believe in yourself and in your capacity to
perform to the best of your ability. When faced with any situation, always
believe in yourself because:

1. No one else will.
If you don’t believe in yourself, how can you expect anyone else to
believe you? How can you convince anyone if you can’t convince yourself? Your self-confidence and esteem stem from a strong belief in who you are and what you stand for. It is important to remember that you are your number one
supporter and fan.

2. You owe it to yourself.
Do yourself a favor. The best thing that you can do for yourself and have no regrets about is to pamper yourself by believing in yourself. It's a great feeling to have affirmative thoughts about yourself. Believing in yourself is a ‘yes’ thought which goes a long way to accelerate positive progress in your life. You are your own best friend; expect good things for yourself.

3. Life is what you make it.
Believing that you can make it happen for yourself is an important step
towards making a life that you like. You must believe that you can do it and
that you will succeed.

Napoleon Hill rightly said that it takes a person half their lives to discover that life is a do it yourself project. A lot of the decisions you make and things you do depend upon you; so arm yourself with self-belief, make the right choices and make it happen.

4. You have dreams and aspirations.
Do you have dreams and aspirations? What will happen to them if you don’t believe in yourself and in your capacity to fulfill them?

If you have a passion to fulfill your dreams and aspirations, don’t allow them go to waste just because you don’t believe in yourself. Within each person there lies an intrinsic ability to turn situations around if only they believe.

5. Others are watching and waiting to applaud you.
It’s amazing how you gain respect in the eyes of others when you achieve
something that you truly desire. You become an inspiration to others who may have been looking up to you, as you believed in yourself and in your ability to make things happen.

So, for those of us who don’t believe they can do this, who don’t believe they can reclaim their lives, or whose belief is shaky right now, I believe in you. I believe in myself, and (in case it did not register), I believe in YOU!
(2)

Elisa1961 and Waddle1. I will rent those movies and watch this weekend. Thanks.
(0)

mrsribit, Yes we were cautioned about the elderly & I would leave it to the professionals, just calling 911. We live so far out, the response time will be long but her quality of life now is gone - what does she have to look forward to? She still feels that she can live on her own, she was doing just fine. I stole her independence away so she hates me. I keep a watchful eye and "tell my husband what she does" so she hates me. I won't let her eat a belly full of cookies, honeybuns & ice cream where she gets sick, so she hates me. I won't let her take a shower alone, so guess what? yeah, she hates me. I can't win no matter what I do.
(0)

bookworm84. Yes, I was overwhelmed and felt so alone, not knowing where to turn with a husband not offering any help or relief. I am angry today, he announced that he is not liking his first shift foreman & is going to go back to 2nd shift after August.
My life was pure hell with THAT shift! I might as well be a single parent to his mom. Example: his shift is from 2:30 to 10:30 BUT that shift gets the most overtime, so he worked any and all hours, usually 12 hr shifts, so he got off at 2:30 am, getting home around 3-3:30am. Not always would he go to bed, sometimes staying up another hour on the computer. Didn't care that he woke me up everytime he came into the bedroom, light sleeper here and it takes me a long time to go back to sleep. He, on the other hand, has no problem in sleeping in until 11am. Then showers, eats breakfast, checks emails, then leaves for work around 1:30 or 1:45pm. That gave absolutely NO TIME to help with his mom PLUS I had no one to watch her in the afternoon so I could show homes.
Which cost me major dollars lost in income.
I also could not do anything at all in the evening, except sit here. When I wanted to have a night out to go to the movies with a couple friends from work, he didn't like it, even when I had his daughter here to cover babysitting detail.
I think he is doing this because I have him doing more care help with his mom.
He really doesn't care about my feelings if he does this. Why be married?
(2)

mrsribit, Thank you for the encouragment, blog post and article. I guess I am kinda down today, since my husband has announced he is making the decision to back on 2nd shift. Claims he doesn't like his foreman who is insisting he is at his job site at 6:30 am on the nose, for team meeting. He doesn't like team meetings, feels they are useless and waste of time. His 2nd shift foreman didn't insist on these meetings, plus he feels there is more overtime so more money can be made.
Why do I even try to fix this relationship?
(0)

OhioGal08, why do you even try to fix this relationship?
(0)

Ohio: From everything you have said about your marriage, your husband is a total head up his butt idiot to let you go. At some point, he will know that and you are not the one to say never. That's his position, not yours.

You have taken his uncontrollable child and brought her up to a new level. If she continued to live with you, it wouldn't be fun, but you would not be the one to give up. Same with his mom.

Your little prince needs a big attitude adjustment. That he would chose to go to 2nd shift because he doesn't like the group meetings is pathetic. Think about what you do everyday.

He is his own worst enemy. He pushed you out the door one cold winter night because you, the little princess, went shopping for a winter coat. And when you walked down the driveway and away from the home, he got in the car and came after you.

This 2nd shit crap should be a deal breaker. Give him all the information you have gathered for help with his mom and wish him well. Call his bluff and lay out your demands. You take the lead and tell him what it is going to take for you to stay. If he doesn't care then that's your answer. My guess is he will be driving up the road chasing you to where ever you have gone and trying to get you back.

Make a decision. Step some ground rules. Either he follows them or you leave. I hope you can say this with some certainty that you are right, because you are.

My heart goes out to you. Your hubby needs to get his head out of his ass and he may not do that until he is forced to see reality.

Love and many hugs to you. We are all on your side and greatly respect you.

Cattails.
(4)

Ohio, sounds to me he's taking this second shift not for more money, but he will be completely free of any responsibility for his mother. If he's not there in the evenings, then you can't expect him to claim any responsibility. Girl, you've gotten pro active. And with your actions he'll be forced to make decisions. Your in his face now, what he considers his personal space. Never mind that you haven't had your personal space in over a year. So this is his attack plan. You will really be stuck with everything. I can just hear his conniving mind working. So hopefully? Third times a charm. Ohio gal, why do you even try to fix this relationship?
(2)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter