Follow

I’ve received so many messages from all the wonderful and kind people here, I wanted to post an update.

This has truly been the strangest beginning to a new year we’ve ever had. Hubby contracted the flu when I brought a virus home from the daycare where I work. I won’t even go into how I feel about parents who bring their children in sick just so they won’t miss a day of work. 😡. The flu morphed into pneumonia. He had many infections including strep and sepsis. In the ER, his heart stopped and he received chest compressions for 20 minutes. This has left him a little confused and somewhat childlike.

Long story short, I was told that we should pull the plug on his ventilator because he had a 20% chance of survival. We did not. This doctor who told me this (twice) is now avoiding me. He’s had a few heart “episodes” with an irregular heartbeat, Atrial Fibrillation and Ventricular Fibrillation as well. His blood pressure also plummeted a few weeks ago a and an IV was placed directly into his carotid artery.

But he is in a good hospital, one that specializes in pulmonary and cardiovascular diseases and illnesses. They’ve saved his life. As of yesterday, after more than a month, he was able to sit on the edge of the bed and is back on solid food.

His recovery is a true miracle. Lots of prayers and support from people like my friends here have gotten me and family through this. I can’t ever thank you enough!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Wonderful news! Wishing for continued progress!!
(2)

Joy, beyond happy for you to see this update! There are still miracles to be had and this is one for sure, so glad brighter days are ahead!
(1)

I am glad everything worked out. Always go with ur gut feeling.
(3)

I'm so happy for you Ahmijoy!
(2)

Hurrah!
(3)

Wow, what great news to read after just logging on!!!! Just goes to show you what the doctors know...........20% chance my left foot! We have to trust our gut instincts on things and our faith in God, without putting 100% belief in doctors, who are only human themselves. SO GLAD to hear that DH is well on the road to recovery here.

Sending you a big hug, dear Joy
(1)

Wonderful news!
(1)

💞💞💞💞💞💞
(1)

Ahmijoy, I had been wondering how you and your husband were, so I'm very glad, relieved, and excited for this positive development!  

This progress deserves something special, and with Valentine's Day coming up, that's a good opportunity.   During the long period of my father's illness about which I wrote in your ventilator post, I brought get well and good thoughts cards to him; sometimes he kept them in his hospital, then rehab room, sometimes he just wanted them kept at home.

A friend bought one of those boards on which cards are pinned, and over the period of time it was more than filled, and double filled.     Dad put those on the couch in the living room so he could look at them, and be comforted by how people reached out to him.   

Sometimes the simplest actions can be so helpful and meaningful.

Again, congratulations to both of you for prevailing, for not giving up hope, and for reaching this exciting milestone!
(3)

What wonderful news, Ahmijoy So glad your decisions turned out to be the right ones. May you both have some peace and time for recovery now. (((((hugs)))))
(3)

I am glad this outcome has happened for you. What a horrible experience it is.

I have heard about doctors telling people to take their LO off life support, and family refused and the patient got better.

my first grandson was born with a brain disorder, coma and .constant convulsions. Thankfully, my son did not do what the doctors told him. After 2 weeks my grandson woke up, they got the seizures under control. While he is on medication for the rest of his life...in every other way he is just like any other kid today.

doctors cannot ever be the final word on care....and caregivers need to follow what they believe is the best way.
(4)

Oh, Ahmijoy. So sorry you are going through all of this. Please keep us updated. What a fight you and hubby are putting on for more time together. Thoughts with you.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter