Follow

January 2022 was our 13th year of dementia for my loving husband. We navigated through the illness and got advice from this forum. On Thursday he graduated from this earthly life to his forever home - heaven. I am blessed that his illness did not fully control his every thought etc. We had some challenges for the eight days I was in the hospital. Coming home on Monday we had a grand homecoming. Wednesday evening he began to decline until his last breath Thursday evening.

He was so good to me and others. I was chilled Wednesday night, and bless his heart, he tried to get me warm by laying blanket upon blanket on me. By the time I got out of all the cover, we laughed. I wasn't cold any more. I still have to isolate as I have neutropenia fever. His memorial service is scheduled for Saturday a week.

I am trusting my doctors will give me an okay to go. The church will have me by a door that only I will go in and out, and the door will remain cracked for me to access fresh air, everyone wearing masks (for my protection), and an 8' perimeter will be set up. I can't imagine not going and after 8 days of antibiotics I feel protected.

This disease brought us closer to each other. His prayer was for us to leave this world together. I laughed and said "I will order an elevator and when God sends it down, we will both get on and ride."

While so many family and friends did not understand dementia, I am glad so many reading this does. Your comments and suggestions helped me so much. Now - to the days ahead I will once again trust God to provide as I am disabled and our - my income will drop. Your prayers are always welcome. Support each other and be cautions of giving a critical response on the forum. Advice is welcome and understood so much better when it is sprinkled with kindness and thoughtfulness.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
LN, (((((Hugs)))))), condolences and good thoughts for your continued good health.
(2)

LN, all the best to you as you navigate the next phase of your life. Big Hugs!
(0)

I am so sorry for your loss.
(0)

My deepest condolences on the loss of your dear husband, LNReason. Sending you a hug and a prayer for peace during this difficult time.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter