Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I did say to Dad - look its a bit short notice and I am working. Its 45 mins drive away that time of the day, so it pretty much wipes out my day.

"What about brother?" (who I know works 30 mins away, and sure works early, finishes 230pm anyway).

"Oh no hes working he'll lose money if he takes time off" (Not sure what he thinks it is for me!)

"So am I"

"Yes but you're at home"

Back to office job/manual job not proper job again....
(1)

Hi Paul, regarding the rellies saying “They are assessing him at 1pm on Tues and I think somebody should be with him”, the proper response is “Sounds good, do go with him, I’m sure he’ll be grateful”.
(1)

Beatty - Yep thats Dad. I'm just hoping, as you say, the person from Social Services is used to this and will see through it.

Another thing with Dad that I don't get. Im sure its a macho thing from the area where I'm from (very working class, blue collar, industrial). He wont tell his friends hes getting home help - he won't want to admit that hes getting help because its a weakness. Pathetic really....

On the other hand, it seems to be a source of pride to be able to say "Oh my son comes over every night after work to look after me". This is partly where Dad gets it from I'm sure.

How screwed up is that?
(0)

Barb - know what you mean but you can't get the test here in the UK without a GPs say so.

Yeh I think Dad has always been like this as long as I can remember just getting worse and worse as he gets older.
(0)

'Excutive planning' problems can be quite 'invisible' in a 10 min Dr apt. Or even a longer home visit. Takes a slueth to uncover.

Who does ABC for you? Oh, my family. (In reality: family have said no).
Do you cook? Oh yes. What sort of meals? Oh everything. (In reality: can re-heat only or lives on toast)
Do you go out? Oh yes, all the time. (Reality: housebound as cannot get to the shops, relies on all & sundry for rides).

Oh yes. With a good air of confidence, executive functioning problems can be smoothed over quite well for quite a time.

Oh I'm FINE.
I'll manage.
I'll figure it out. Don't you worry. I've got plenty of family, friends, neighbours to help.

Social Services must have thousands like this on their books. On one hand it's sad.
On the other, they are living as they wish. In their homes *as long as possible*.

The big test will be if he can get himself home after a hospital stay...
(1)

Yeah, well, GPs aren't really able to assess for say, loss of executive functioning.

My mom's long time internist (that's what we call GPs here in the States) declared that mom was " FINE". She was, on the surface.

Got her to a geriatric psychiatrist who insisted (to me--because there's always something for US to do, right?) that I get mom cognitive testing. She had the reasoning ability of a 5 year old.

BUT dad's always been thoughtless, right? No need to go further than that. Like most folks who are elderly, he's just more so than his usual self.
(1)

Barb - I dunno. I remember having a discussion with his GP a few years ago and they basically said there was ZERO evidence of ant dementia.

They basically implied that his behaviour was not uncommon in some older people and was all self-involvement.
(2)

Hey Paul;

There are two types of folks you can't reason with:

1. Those who are so totally self-involved they can't see (or care about) anyone else's needs

2. Those with dementia.

It seems like tour dad has ALWAYS been a selfish manipulator, so no change there.

Maybe some cognitive changes too, but it doesn't really seem to matter much.

Just keep saying "no, dad, I can't possibly do that".

No reasons, no engagement. Just "no". Leave if he whines.
(3)

Barb - manipulator yes

What he wants:-

1. Doctors to do their job and fix his old age.
2. His sons to put him first above everyone else, and no matter what the reason, come running when he wants them to.
3. Not to spend any money at all.
(3)

Your dad sounds like a confused master manipulator who doesn't know what he wants.
(0)

Barb - Social Services here in the UK. They'll come and assess his needs and provide him with help to live alone.

Been there before. Last time he cancelled the home visits after a week. He wanted them there at 9am every day (of course theres got to be a "window" - it was 730am-10am - not everyone can have 9am) so he cancelled.

And he told them "Oh my sons will look after me". Didn't ask me of course....

Whereas with us he plays it up with them he will underplay it. Oh he'll deffo tell them I've agreed (Ive told him no way to say that but he'll ignore me).

Hes also got this weird idea that he wouldnt want any of his friends to find out. Its a weird macho thing I think and a source of shame that "you can't cope". It does my head in.
This is also the reason for his "sons will do it" thing. In his world, its not ok to admit that you're sons/daugters cant help - its considered shameful.

Trouble is nothing will make him happy. He'll moan he doesnt want strangers in the house. He'll moan that the doctors haven't "fixed his knee" yet (yep he thinks doctors can do anything even reverse old age I think!).

The only thing that would make him happy is if I said, Dad I'll move in with you and look after you. I realised that years ago - he knows the hassle hes caused with my marriage in the past (thats a long story but his behaviour was shameful) but he doesn't care.

He'll also bring up the old "well I looked after you when you were a kid so its you're turn now". All well and good but who looks after my kids when I'm looking after him?

Don't worry I intend to stay far out of this....
(2)

Who is "they" who are assessing him?

Best to leave it to him to tell "them" his inabilities.

Beware, however, that he might overstate the extent to which you are willing to help.
(1)

"Hi just to let you know that your father is not well and in a lot of pain.I think he needs daily help as he is getting worse. They are assessing him at 1pm on Tues and I think somebody should be with him. I'll do what I can but I am very concerned about him."

This is what I have to put up with from relatives. I spoke to Dad last night, hes no worse than he's been ever he just lays it on so thick with everyone.

Ultimately, I've got kids to look after - I can't just leave them in the house on their own. Why does no-one get this?
(0)

Pall, interesting what you say about your dad's inability to plan. My husband, who is only 68 started to be less attentive to some details, a little problem with short term memory, a couple of glitches in judgment. Nothing big.

BUT because he's got a doc like a hawk and a wife who is a retired IQ point counter, he's gotten a neuropsych exam. And bingo, his executive functioning--ability to see the big picture, plan, prioritize, use money wisely--is out of commission.

I doubt anyone else notices this.
(2)

OMG - Paul. So glad to "see" you again. Your old thread probably was closed for comments.

Yeah, I can see that things are about the same but worse.

Are you going to Florida this summer for vacation? How's your wife's mom?
(0)

JoAnn - Yes of course no-one was allowed into the US for quite a while due to Covid (and vice versa I think).

Dad is getting a bit worse. More stubborn and more tight-fisted if I'm honest. Of course, the older you get the more things wear out. Hes just not interested in thinking ahead and looking after himself.

He can hardly hear now. Here in the UK, you can get a basic hearing aid for free. But Dads' aid is 20 years old and not up to the job any more. Trying to get him to pay for a decent one - nope! Hes got £1000s but wont spend it.

I've now refused to do things for him on the phone now. He had the nerve to say "Can you phone xyz for me, because I can't hear on the phone?" EXACTLY Dad - get a flipping hearing aid!!!

The more you do for Dad the less effort he makes himself to be honest....
(2)

I am so glad you are keeping to your boundries. My Dad died before my Mom. He passed at 79 but was starting to show signs of cognitive decline. He was a stubborn man before and Mom waited on him hand and foot. I am pretty sure he would have thought I would be at his beck and call. After 8 months of looking in on him while Mom was helping my sister in another state, I knew then I would not be physically caring for him and living with me was not an option. It would have been a nice NH with me visiting.😊

Looks like things are plodding along.😊Just keep doing what your doing. Glad you'll be coming across the Pond. My DHs cousins are suppose to be here from Wales sometime this month. They stay with DHs Aunt in Florida so pretty sure Disney is on their list of things to do.

Thanks for the update.
(0)

Beatty - thanks I'll have a look and maybe we can compare notes!
(0)

Barb - No not allowed into the US last summer. We're there this year though - August
(1)

Hi there! Yes, long time! I have often wondered how you were getting on? If Covid had got you all.. 😬 🤞

Despite your Father's endless mission creep, sounds like things are ok. Good to hear.

There was a poster a while back with a similar type of Mother. Like a magnet - kept trying to pull her 'chosen helper' in closer & closer in that suffocating dependent way. I believe that lady is keeping to her boundaries too (despite the pull) & that Mother still in AL or even now Memory Care.

Stay strong. Like Hodor holding the door. (GOT fans anyone?)
(2)

So good to hear from you, Paul! Did you make it to Disney last summer?
(1)

thanks margaret. Restrictions are pretty much gone now in the UK and things seem to be settling down.

Myself and wife never got Covid. My 18 yr old did but he wasnt really ill.

As you can see, Dad is still the same if not worse.....
(1)

Dear Paul, How nice to hear from you! When all the Covid UK news was sounding so dire, I thought of you often and hoped you were OK. Lots of Love, Margaret
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter