Follow

My mother has had rheumatoid arthritis for years and has had a wrist replacement. She was doing fine and was able to do things around the house and even cycled everyday for the past three or more years. Recently, her health has declined, making it hard for her to get out of bed, move, and do what she could before. We don't know what has caused her to get worse since she was was barely in pain and managing her symptoms perfectly before. We think it has something to do with an allergic reaction to her metal implant. Shortly after her decline she was fired from her job. I think this is in violation of EEO but I don't think I can do anything about that. Anyway, since we don't know if she'll get better and her age may keep her from working. I am only 23 and I have no idea how to handle this on my own (parent's are divorced and brother is very young). So she is unemployed and disabled, while I live out of state for school and work. What do I need to do? Is there insurance I need to look into? Home care? I'm so lost, this all happened so suddenly and I have no idea what I need to do.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Has mom seen her rheumatologist recently, since this decline? If not, this is an important first step in understanding what’s going on and how to help. If so, what does doctor say has occurred and what does the future for her look like? Is she receiving SS disability now? Sorry to answer with only questions but that’s what comes to mind
(3)

First doctor. If it is a reaction then it needs to be replaced. I don't know what state Mom lives in but NJ and DE are "at will" states and can let u go for any reason and not tell u why. The doctor maybe able to help get her on short-term disability. If it looks like your Moms condition is permanent than you will need to see a lawyer to apply for SS disability. There is no cost to Mom. The lawyer gets paid by SS when Mom receives the disability. With SSD comes Medicare and Medicaid.
(3)

Dear skylarmichelle,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's medical condition. I know you are doing the best you can from another state. I hope another trusted family member or friend can take her to the doctor to see what his happening. Another option might be to contact Adult Protective Services, try to talk to a social worker and see what resources are available in the community to help your mom.

I hope you get the help she needs.
(1)

Sorry to hear that. But you're doing a great job helping your mother. Don't be afraid!
Also, about your mother's job issues. She may have a legal claim for wrongful termination. I'd recommend you to contact a lawyer.

Can you tell us, is everything OK now?
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter