Follow

As we waited our turn I saw a parade of very elderly and sick/injured people having to check themselves in and answer questions by themselves, and not very well. One man rushed in with his wife in a panic saying he thought his wife had a stroke because she had jumbled speech and other symptoms. They shoo-ed him out and when the admitting nurse asked her about symptoms or slurred speech she was insistent she didn't have a stroke or other symptoms. Yikes. I fortunately know the drill to tell them I'm the medical PoA and Med Rep so they let me in. Just a heads up for anyone who has to take their elderly LO to the ER.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Geaton777, thanks for the heads-up on that.... good to know.
(2)

Yes, that has been going on in hospitals and doctors offices all over the US, since the shut downs with Covid began. Very sad.
(0)

I took our adult son that has a brain injury to the hospital for an outpatient appointment a few weeks ago. We were greeted at the door by temperature screeners and then a man who said only the patient could come in. My son looked at him and said “if she’s not coming, I’m not coming, she makes me understand things” The man literally rolled his eyes, but he also moved aside and let me in. And while in the hospital we saw what we always see, caregivers pushing wheelchairs, and helping in various ways. Imagine how short staffed a hospital would be if they had to provide a person to stay with each person who needs assistance.
(3)

Thank you for the information! I too am listed as medical POA and since Covid I've only been denied entry twice for procedures done in hospital. I will surely bring the paperwork with me next time.
(0)

I did know that clinics and hospitals were prohibiting all but the patient, but I was astounded that they were doing it in the ER. The ER! Where people often show up in a panic and don't have notes prepared or their paperwork with them and the patients may not be able to adequately communicate what's going on with them. Ridiculous! Why not let at least 1 "representative" in for seniors, legal or not?
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter