Follow

His doctor informed him that he can pass information along to children or siblings. Apparently he is looking for something specific in his genes.

I’m always amazed at medical treatments. He had to reschedule the test because we had evacuated for the hurricane.

The only type of genetic testing I have done is an amniocentesis to find out if my daughter had Down’s Syndrome.

My numbers were coming up high and I wanted to know so I could prepare for life as a mom of a child with Down’s Syndrome. The test showed that she did not have it.

I was reading online about conditions that can be detectable in families through genetics. It’s fascinating how much we can find out with genetic testing.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
No I have not had genetic testing, but I was tested during pregnancy for a genetic birth defect. Not Downs, but a defect that leads to still birth or death within hours for a live birth. That was 25 years ago, It is likely it can be tested for genetically now. I was lucky none of my three had the condition.

We had a family friend who had breast cancer that has a genetic link to it. It was suggested her daughter get tested to see if she carries the gene. She does and she has 2 daughters of her own. They are teens now, I do not know at what point they may suggest testing for the girls.

I have no interest in the DNA testing that so many people are getting to determine their family's origin, but a couple family members have had it done.
(1)

Tothill,

My mom’s friend had breasts cancer when she was younger. She had her breasts removed and went through treatments and she lived a very long life. She had the link too.

She had three daughters and two of them developed breasts cancer as well. As far as I know they beat it too.

I find DNA testing fascinating!
(1)

It's amazing what science can do now. DNA testing can certainly be fascinating. The fact that science is able to research your heritage or to see what genes you carry can give one amazing insight into their past and future life.

Dna tests can be specialized to determine if one has a risk for a certain disease like your Down's syndrome test. I can see that being of benefit. (I don't get why the dr. suggested your husband get the workup, he alrready has cancer. I would think the immediate family would get the workup. Don't know... just curious.)

Anyway, DNA testing can also lead to some unexpected results. 123Andme, for example, is a direct to consumer DNA testing company. With only a saliva sample, the test can determine if you're at risk for over 20 different diseases. You may want to know what you're chances are of contracting some diseases. Being rather naive about the tests, some people were shocked to find they had a high risk of developing Alzheimer's disease. The test will look for certain genes that are risk genes for AD. APOE2, 3, and 4 and the PSEN genes are the culprits. We're each passed one of these genes from our parents and if you have two copies of the APOE4 gene in particular your risk of AD is significant but it is not certain. This can have a huge emotional impact on a person.

So testing for a particular disease may be beneficial for some but a comprehensive screening for many diseases may result in a future of emotional uncertainty and worry. It's not for me.
(1)

There are many illnesses that are passed genetically. This testing however is expensive and not to be taken lightly. I would ask the doctor to be exact about his reasons for this testing. Then make a decision as to whether I wished to take it. You say he would be doing this testing for his children? In general it is more often the CHILDREN who do testing to see if they have a likelihood of a disease that has struck a parent, ie the Braca gene in breast cancer.
(1)

I did have some testing in regard to familial angiomas years ago but that was before genetic testing was a thing. They advised me to do some genetic testing after my cancer last fall, I was supposed to hear from somebody this summer but then there was covid.... Really though after filling out the questionnaire I can't see any sign of genetic abnormality, all the cancers in my extended family seem pretty random and unrelated.

Oh, and did you know you can get some health based genetic testing from companies like 23andMe?
(1)

sjplegacy: "So testing for a particular disease may be beneficial for some but a comprehensive screening for many diseases may result in a future of emotional uncertainty and worry. It's not for me."

Me, neither. I did the 23andme test (which includes health information), but have not unlocked that part of the results. I do have a family history of breast cancer, but I have no desire to know if I have the BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes.
(1)

Thanks everyone. The doctor said it’s helpful to do genetic testing. It’s supposed to tell if he has a gene that is passed along to children or if his siblings may get cancer as well.

We understand that it is unrelated to any of his upcoming treatments which will begin shortly.

His nurse called our insurance company (BlueCross) and the test is covered. At first the insurance did not want to cover the cost but she got them to do it.

I wonder how accurate all of these tests are.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter