Follow

I was told last year that Bill was in the final stages of ALZ. It has been 11 long years, but he is still pretty healthy and hasn’t forgotten me or our son. He doesn’t remember the grandchildren’s names, but he seems to remember them. With this social distancing we have not seen the kids in such a long time and I’m worried he will forget them or the two year old will forget him.
For the past five years I have worked very hard to keep him well, because a minor illness can mean a hospital stay. I made some adjustments to his daily routine, but for the most part it’s the same as it has been. I’m grateful that his nurse still comes in the mornings, but it’s still not an easy job.
My GF, Bill, and I live together, and I’m blessed to have such a caring person that’s here for me. She picked up a cake for the three of us to celebrate Bills birthday tomorrow, and he got up in the night and stood at the counter eating the entire cake with his hands. By the time I realized he had been out of his room it was 2am and the kitchen was a wreck. I became very angry and even yelled at him. I cried and cried. We are not mean people, but I was that night. I tried to go back and apologize, but he just became confused. I eventually went back to sleep feeling terrible after cleaning everything up. My GF heard me yelling and understood why I was upset with myself.
Being a caregiver is not easy, but it is not a reason to be mean. So the cake is gone, big deal. I hid him some ice cream in the back fridge and even picked up a bottle of old fashion root beer for him. It will be his first birthday without our son coming over, but we will make the most of it.
Thanks for listening.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Happy birthday Bill🎂
(1)

🤗You blew up, it happens - none of us are saints, especially at 2 in the morning. I wish I could forget the times I yelled at my mother or was less than gentle with her care - I miss her every day.
(1)

I agree with cwille. No one is perfect. Forgive yourself.

Take care. Be safe. 💗
(1)

You are only human. I bet you will have a big laugh about that cake in the future!

Enjoy the birthday day with the icecream & a phone call with your son instead 🍦🍦🍦
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter