Follow

I was exhausted from caring for my mom...and I had help! But I lost my mom this month, and just about the only comfort I have now is knowing I was there for her and did everything I could. Trust me, you will want to feel this way when that time comes for you too. Please remember everything is temporary.
Best of luck. You’re doing the hardest job in the world.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I'm so sorry for your loss, my friend, and glad to hear you are comforted by the care you provided for your dear mother.

100% agree with Alva that in home care giving is certainly not for everyone, nor is it the only way to express love for one's mother. "Temporary" can easily mean decades of one's life that can kill a daughter or son before their parent in many cases.

I'm glad things worked out for you doing the hardest job in the world, but it doesn't work out that way for many, many of us.

Wishing you all the best moving forward.
(4)

Big hug for you and all caregivers.
(2)

Those who choose to do in home care 24/7 are most definitely doing the most difficult job in the world, Julie. I am so very sorry for your loss, and I am so happy you are comforted by the wonderful care you gave your Mom.
All of that said, in home 24/7 caregiving is not for everyone. I could never do it, and have always been aware of that, despite having loved my career as a nurse. And those who know that their human limitations preclude in home care should never attempt to do it. The doing is not a measurement of love. It is a choice made by those who feel able to do it.
Again, I am so sorry for your loss, and I am so happy for your peace. But it isn't right to tell others that they "should" do this care, when they may not be so capable of it as you were.
Best to you. I hope for your healing and your celebration of yours and your Mom's love.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter