Follow

On Thursday, my mother and I took my grandmother to pick up her car. The starter on her car needed to be fixed and she wanted to go out to lunch. That part was no big deal. My grandmother handed me an add for a Chinese place she wanted to eat at. I had asked if she knew that it is a McDonald's type of Chinese restaurant and not a restaurant like she was thinking of. She said that's where she wanted to eat. We arrived at the restaurant and we put our stuff down. Grandma plopped down in her seat and demanded tea. I had said that she can either pick something from their cooler and pay for her drink or I can get her water from her car. Again, she asked for the tea they serve at Chinese restaurants and then I repeated my answer. This went on for a few more times. My mom ordered the food and my grandmother still kept on about the tea. Finally, my mother snapped and said that she is in a fast food place and drinks will cost $2.50 piece and no she wasn't getting her hot tea. No, she doesn't have dementia, might have age related cognitive decline. She does have a history of manipulation. I am just tired of her trying to manipulate things especially when it comes to money, since she doesn't like paying for anything.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I think that it's time for a cognitive evaluation. Grandma is no longer reasoning.

Have her checked for a UTI as well.
(5)

Sorry I can't remember your other posts Evermore so I don't have the background to this story but I'm not seeing any problem here beyond a dysfunctional family dynamic - tea doesn't come free no matter where you choose to eat, and generally meal items at the fast food places are cheaper than sit down restaurants plus there is no tipping, so when all is said and done the cost of the food plus beverages would work out to be the same. The festering wound here seems to be more about who pays and who chooses where to eat, and the mystery is why anybody thought it would be a good idea to go out to eat together at all.
(0)

Actually hot tea is commonly served free at Chinese restaurants.
(1)

Not in my city cali, any where from .50 to 3.99 depending on where you go.
(1)

Ahhh yes. My mom and her sis are very much like your grandma. And I know it will get worse. Even though they know something is not available or possible, they demand it. That if they ask over and over AND OVER for it, it will somehow miraculously happen.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter