Follow
Read More
Yes Countrymouse I did consider that. Unfortunately he was not the only negative experience I have had with clergy. I have yet to meet any that I found relatable. That's not to say that I don't believe one is out there. It's just I've personally never had the good fortune of meeting them.
(2)

Gershun, does it not occur to you that that pastor was seriously in the wrong job?!
(5)

Willie, I hear ya. When Hubs is away I can go for days without talking to a soul.

My interactions consist of grocery store checkout people, Starbucks barristas and that's about that. I find myself talking to myself a lot. Talking to the cats but really talking to myself. :P

As for the whole church thing. I find it very sad that churches are so unwelcoming. Truly sad. Especially when you would think a church would be a place to find solace. I had big plans I was going to find a church to go to while Hubs was away but so far haven't. I still have two weeks but honestly don't like the idea of walking into a church by myself. That whole experience I had with the grief counselling turned me right off. The Pastor was a nervous prude and treated me like I was some Jezebel sent to tempt him. He actually had a panic attack one evening and had to leave. I just don't get it. I really don't.
(8)

Thanks cwillie and others. I am afraid to get rid of anything, like call button, for fear she'll be back. I have decided to agree with you. I just can't do it long term anymore. She's an hour plus away, but she can be moved to 30 min. when a bed comes available. Tues' meeting will tell more.  Next snow is supposed to hold off till later that afternoon. 
Yes, small towns can be insular. Luckily I am sick enough to need one of those self-help groups, and have other adults to talk with. Good luck.
(1)

God's peace Send. I'm still here at 10:30 so I don't think I'm going to make it back to church today. As for finding a new place - small town churches tend to be very insular communities so unless I'd be willing to join the "very devoted" set (and I'm not) I'd probably be completely ignored.
(2)

Good Morning CWillie!
Schlep only if the weather allows.
Can you find a new church where you live?

Here is your ritual greeting:
Good Morning! Good to see you here today!
God Bless you.
Stay after the service and say hello.
Greet someone you do not know today.
Divide up into small groups for prayer in the sanctuary.
Go in Peace.

And remember, the life that He gives, He gives you forever!
(6)

The sun is out this morning and I'm trying to decide whether or not to schlep back to my home town for church today. Sadly my visits to the NH were about the only social interaction I had, now unless I go shopping I can go days - weeks - without speaking to anyone face to face. No one will speak to me at church either beyond the ritual greetings, but it would pass the morning. God my life is pathetic.
(2)

Well we all agree GrannieAnnie - IMO it's a no brainer. When I hit the wall with mom's care I was able to get her a 30 day respite stay with the possibility of permanent placement, two weeks in I was terrified she might have to come back home. It sure wasn't easy though.
(4)

I agree with Send. If taking care of someone is causing you to neglect your own health issues you need to change something. I know that is not always easy but is a must.
(6)

I hope it can stay funny too GrannieAnnie~& you do have a big decision ahead of you & I'm sorry you have to make it.
(5)

Grannie Annie,
I believe your own health condition has made the decision for you.

There is one school of thought that teaches we should not treat our own bodies harshly. imo.
(5)

Luckylu , sorry it got 'not' funny. My 2 children used to tell me that they'll never know if I get Alzheimer's cause I am already so forgetful. I hope it can stay funny.

My aunt is doing ok at rehab. We have a Care-plan meeting Tues. It's a week late because I was sick. My high blood pressure has gone down! So peaceful not waiting and listening for her next fall, or what to feed her, or why she's up and dressed at 2 am. I believe that I'm getting too old, and have too many health issues of my own to keep up after her rehab. Not easy to decide.
(6)

Adblockers are lovely! I've used two and no problems, and NO viruses..... A few sites say disconnect it or you can't use our site - so I leave. (lol). Who cares? Worth it to be without all the distraction (mostly risque ads), and no computer troubles.
(3)

Before Mom got so ill,my 2 brother's and I would joke about Mom getting alzheimers and we'd talk about what shifts we'd each take with her and we'd all laugh,but then...........................it wasn't funny anymore.
(3)

It was before the new format, CWillie.
Now, everytime I close my computer, I was being logged out automatically.
So, I have increased my efforts to log out on purpose. Except when I fall asleep in the middle of posting.
(2)

I have my Firefox browser set to toss cookies and history when I close so daily if not more often, I don't know why that would have caused trouble for you with the forum? I do have to sign in every day though.
(2)

Thanks CWillie!
Now that I know what to call it, my hubs will help me. He hates it if I don't use the right words, or his words.
I have deleted cookies, history before. That time I was not able to log back in to AgingCare without help from admin.
But I will still avoid those click bait ads, just like avoiding all the tabloid papers at the market checkout as I have always done.
(0)

Click bait Send, half the time it takes 20 pages to get to the info that interested you in the first place. Set your browser to disallow tracking and third party cookies. and delete cookies and history when you close. And seriously, use some kind of ad blocker.
(2)

FF,
Avoid the online ads that draw you in, give you limited but enticing next page, then next page, until you never get your answer unless you pay for something.
Have you ever gone to the ones that say: "Never eat this one food"; OR,
"Three foods you should never eat".

Those are the ones you just cannot get through without the ads taking over.

After going there, you find your computer is slowing, hard to type in your words correctly.....etc. Advice is to shut your computer down for a few minutes, then restart. May not work. So just stay away from those ads.
(3)

Sounds similar to the article I read MsM, it's that old joke about committing a crime in order to live for free in prison coming to life. Makes me wonder what Japanese prisons are like.
(1)

There was an article a year or so ago how elderly lonely Japanese women commit shoplifting crimes so they will be sent to jail and taken care of -
the jail guards were complaining they were working as caregivers

one woman when released committed another crime to be sent back
(3)

FF I'd rather have ads that aren't hidden as expert advice, IMO this is almost spam.
And try installing adblockplus if you want to get rid of pop up ads.
(2)

cwille, I not fond of advertising within the forum, but it's better then being bombarded with ads while you are reading a question.

There are a few websites out there, it is like Bop-A-Mole trying to get the ads off of what I am reading... and doing it again when it says "go to next page" :P
(0)

I see that AgingCare "Expert" Dianne Stephens is busy on the forum today selling her company ... er, giving advice
(6)

CW, I think the source of the article might have been an episode of 'Crossing Continents,' wasn't it? One of the weekday mornings series, anyway - I remember hearing the programme on Radio 4 a few weeks ago. Poor old drunk man, but also family members lacerated by the shame he'd put them to. It was very very sad.

The BBC absolutely adores running stories about how Japan isn't all it's cracked up to be, with its soaring rates of drug abuse, teen delinquency, organised crime etc etc. Well! - the rates may be 'soaring' by Japanese standards, but it only ever seems to mean they're soaring from virtually none to hardly any.

On the other hand. Daughter 2, knowing I'm a big fan of the country, gave me a little handbook about Ikegai and how to live happily to one hundred, like almost everyone aims to in Okinawa.

All I can say is that I wonder more than ever what Japanese readers make of the novel 1984, and whether they actually get what's so dystopian about it?

Oops. Ikigai. I beg its pardon.
(1)

I've heard it said that the elderly are well cared for in Japan because of traditional filial responsibility, but I just finished reading an article that contradicts that image:

www.bbc.com/news/stories-47033704
(3)

I am whining. Auntie is now in rehab. Perfect opportunity to finally sort out her room, move furniture, and dust/vacuum throughout. But, I am sick. Lots of sleep time etc.  to keep my congested lungs, cold, from turning into worse asthma and pneumonia. That is the good part of Rose being elsewhere. If it hadn't been so darned cold out, I would've gone to the ER.  Took herbal remedies and more sleep instead.

I bet Hubbie would lose house if wife ends up on Medicaid. Wife no. 2, ??
(1)

💰💰
(2)

It's true love, of course.💕
(2)

Viewed that article online and my kindle crashed!

Talk about getting needs met...................
..........what .............
is.......
........in....
...............it....
....................for......
............................the............
..................................girlfriend?
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter