Follow

Hey folks, welcome to the new whine/general topic thread. Feel free to use this thread to discuss anything that is on your mind. Caregiving- related stuff, life after a loved one's death, your own emotional wellbeing. Whatever..........anything on your mind.

Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
DH and I downloaded a real estate app on our phones because we are looking to downsize to a ranch home in 55 and over. We use this to look at listings and then send them to our realtor when we want her to schedule a showing . It’s a popular app , I will not name it here as I can not know for sure if the following is due to them selling phone numbers or not .

However , now DH has been getting calls from some guy from some “ real estate firm” asking him if he wants to sell our house to them and stating they will pay us in cash . DH told him “ No and not to call again “
They keep calling . They just called now and DH told them “ fine , the address is 1600 Pennsylvania Ave . “ ( The White House ) . 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
(7)

I ordered a pair of shoes from New Balance and finally got fed up waiting so I checked the order status - it's listed as being cancelled on the same day I placed the order 🤔
Sister and hubbie were at an appointment downtown in the city and had to pay for parking through an app or scan a QR code, neither of which they could figure out. They went inside to ask and came back out to find a $60 ticket 😖

Don't you love modern technology?
(5)

It is a short trip, about an hour, not long at all.
(0)

How long is the trip, DoggieMom?
(1)

That works out well that you have mom to help so you won't have to purchase a separate seat for the other dog.
(0)

I forgot to mention both will be in cabin with me. My mother will keep one and I will keep the other, so they will not be in cargo. That is the good thing both are under 15 lbs.
(2)

DoggieMom here is something for United Airlines website about flying with pets. I would call whichever carrier you are using and ask them. Basically you have to purchase an additional seat, etc, etc.

Also NEVER let them put the carrier in the overhead baggage compartment. They did that to a pug on a flight once (not sure which carrier) and the dog suffocated to death.

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/traveling-with-pets.html
(1)

Doggiemom,
Speak with the vet. Let him know how long trip is (often a moot point given airports and delays today). Check with airport if there is a doggie room; some have them where dog can get out, do his business and etc. Also important to know how long the trip is. Wish there was another way for the two of them. I think you can only keep one small with you and I don't trust when they are not with you. Alas. Talk with the vet. My own dog Abby, long past now, didn't do well on tranquilizers of any kind. Almost like they made her sleepy but her loss of control made her MORE anxious. So I recommend trying a dose before the move.
(2)

So, weird question, when I move I will be flying with my two small dogs. Should they be medicated? My youngest, Sky is a whiner.
(0)

It was beautiful and eerie at the same time. I was at work (I am a school librarian) and we had really good totality.
(3)

I saw Dallas go dark on the news doggiemom, it looked like a lot of fun. My son is in Austin, haven't heard from him yet, but I'm sure he saw it too.
(2)

I got to see the eclipse here in Dallas, TX. It was totality and was dark for a good three minutes. It was beautiful and reaffirms my faith in the Lord even though I am going through a rough time ATM.
(1)

I thought it was pretty cool too, I had my husbands welding Googles on. Wish it got a little darker , but it was pretty darn cool 😎
(0)

Okay that was really cool, and I'm nowhere close to the totality zone.
(1)

It was rainy here this morning and there's still heavy cloud cover, eclipse watchers may be starting to get a little anxious (I know I would be). Even though they live and work right in the zone Nephew #1 told me they have decided to watch on NASA and my good friend who also lives in the zone said she has to be at work, but Nephew #2 has his day off today and has plans to go for a little drive south to take it in - fingers crossed the skies clear!
(1)

Dollarama had no owls but they did have crows and I was wondering why anyone would buy those outside of Halloween, now I know!
(3)

cwillie, a robin kept pecking my young daughter’s bedroom window so I bought a plastic crow from the $ store and put it on her window ledge, anchored by a rock. Problem solved.

A blustery storm blew the crow off the ledge. My daughter didn’t notice until I’d had time to scribble a note to take the crow’s place. ‘I got the crow. You’re next!’, signed with a drawing of a robin. She laughed! I recently noticed she keeps that note in her memory box.
(4)

🍀🍀🤞
(2)

CW,

I planted my bell peppers. Wish me luck.
(2)

Thanks for all the ideas, I taped up a plastic drop sheet that I had on hand and so far that seems to be working, it lets in the light too.

Golden, there are plenty of cats that traverse my yard, maybe I should leave them treats! As for the meringue - I think I've tried all the things commonly recommended 🤷‍♀️
(1)

cw - get a cat I had a few years of bird trouble between losing Toonie and acquiring Rocky. I never had trouble when I had Toonie. Once I got Rocky the bird trouble decreased to almost nothing

re meringue - do you use cream of tartar? It helps.
(1)

Cwillie I have the same issue with a cardinal. I put a stuffed monkey hanging on the inside of the window and it keeps the bird away.
(0)

I don't have much faith in the idea of owls or snakes because from past experience using them in the strawberry patch the fear wears off in about a day or two, but I'm willing to give it another try. Or I may just drape the area with netting, at this point I don't care anymore if the bird gets tangled.
(1)

cwillie,

Get a statue of a big owl. They make plastic/resin ones for this purpose. It will scare the bird away . I’ve had my owl sitting on top of the fence on my deck forever . Rarely have some bird crap on the deck .
(1)

There is robin that comes back every year that is once again driving me crazy, it likes to peck at the windows. All the advice tells you it's fighting it's reflection but it's clearly not that because it's just a gentle tap tap tap and so far only on the north side of the house. This year it's sitting tapping on my sliding patio door and now that I've blocked the bottom of the door it's (gently) flying pecking at the top. I don't know what this @#&% bird wants, it's not as though this is a good nesting spot. And of course it's sh!++ing everywhere too, which is the real maddening part.
(0)

I am feeling relieved to have found a place to rent and that my two doggies babies are coming with. I am feeling happy on one hand to move on and sad in another.
(6)

cwillie, I told my kids the same! They all love to eat mushrooms and I was so afraid they’d bite into something toxic.
(1)

I felt the earthquake this morning, that was crazy strange! 🫨

That's such a good idea cwillie! 😀
(0)

Anxietynacy - when our kids were small I always called the things growing outside toadstools and the things on our plates mushrooms, no confusion that way!

TNtechie - the kid is going to be running around and hot and sweaty no matter what the weather, I don't blame you at all for not wanting to be cold and miserable
(3)

TN, that's awesome , I miss those days of school sports. I'm sure there is a twing of guilt but it's fine to miss some events now and then

As for the eclipse, my mother had a lot of phobioas, I was always told to not look at the sun anyday. . So after years of that being drilled into me. It kinda scares me anyways.

Similar to my fear of mushrooms, LMAO, mom always told me mushrooms where poisonous, so I wouldn't eat one outside. Now no matter what if something has mushrooms in it, my throat closes up.
(1)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter