Follow
Read More
Polar,

Yes, but these people are specifically naming their child after the virus. It’s crazy!
(1)

All corona viruses are called that because their appearance looked crown like to scientists, we've all seen the pictures. And the proper name of the virus is now SARS- CoV-2, the disease it causes is COVID-19 (like HIV causes AIDS)
(3)

NHWM - Corona means crown in Spanish and Latin. I think it's pretty. I don't know who came up with that name for the virus, that person shouldn't have. Anyhow, the proper name for the virus is COVID 19. I hope no one names their baby that. But you never know, some crazy people just might.
(1)

The grand-baby thing reminded me of my ex-mother-in-law. I just loved her, in fact, liked her better than my own Mom :P

Anywho, she kept pushing about grand-children to us. Once I found out I couldn't have any children, the next time she hinted about grand-children, I told her "I hope you love us even if we don't have children". She never mentioned it again.

Even after her son and I divorced [after 20 yrs], his Mom and I were best friends forever until she passed in her 90's. She always brighten my day with her sense of humor.
(6)

Yep, lots of new babies! I even heard that some are being named Corona! How awful for them.
(0)

I heard of 4 people in my neighborhood that recently gave birth to a baby boy
(1)

Bridger,

Funny! It does happen. Some people really get the grandparent bug!
(1)

Pam,

She has a right to be picky! Good for her!

Her current boyfriend’s mom is nice for the most part. She is hoping to have a grandchild though. Hahaha

My daughter broke up with a guy a couple of years ago too because his mom kept interfering and she wasn’t nice! The guy was a jerk! He was looking for a gal to cater to his every whim! That isn’t my daughter!

She wasn’t nice to my daughter because my daughter refused to baby her son like she did!
(2)

I have a son who is 29 and single. He says “someday” he will get married and then “someday” he will have a kid. His brother is 31 and married and expecting first child. I’m not the get married/have kids pushing parent. I don’t have to. My husband and father do a good job with that on their own. I sit back and let them make idiots of themselves.
(4)

NHWM, that is so funny! My DD broke up with a long term BF because his mom was always going on about that! Even showing her wedding dresses! She was just not there yet, and with baby mama drama and family issues, she just could not take it. Now she jokes she has upped the age limit on her dating sites! She is not a cougar, wants a guy in her age bracket! And she is picky!
(2)

Pam,

It’s weird! My daughter’s boyfriend’s mom loves her and keeps asking her son when he will marry her and give her a grandchild!

They both love his mom but laugh at the suggestion of having kids. They don’t even want to get married yet! Hahaha

Some that don’t have a great relationship are splitting up with the strain from Covid.

Others are bonding and having babies during this time! Kind of interesting, isn’t it?
(2)

NHWM, since we are all supposed to stay 6 feet apart... That is an interesting question.. LOL Or an impressive one... My DD can;t even figure out how to date during COVID.. so I guess I don;t have to worry..
(3)

I like to play freecell and spider solitaire with the Windows collection and it is an irritation that I now I have to endure ads unless I pay for an upgrade, I could play on other websites but I've gotten used to the auto play and I find the cards easier to see with the Windows suite so I stick with it. What I find amusing is that all those sophisticated algorithms for targeted ads have me pegged as a middle aged man, I'm getting kinda tired of plugs for men's deodorant, ED and finding women in your area 🙄
(5)

I wonder how many babies will be born during Covid. We are the boomers of the WWII era. Do you think we will see lots of me babies?

I am always surprised at the number of parents who try to rush their children to get married and have kids. I wouldn’t be comfortable at all telling my daughters to do that so I could have a grandchild.
(2)

"And it seems like it's climbing right up to the sky"
(2)

The corn is as high as an elephant's eye.....
(2)

A chivaree here was often held the weekend after the bride and groom returned from their honeymoon although sometimes people would hold off until the couple thought they were safe, sometimes relatives planned one for special anniversaries or other celebrations too. The last one I went to (in the 80's?) involved everyone sneaking up through the back farm lane with their headlights off and of course anything that would make a lot of noise - car horns, bells, horns and shotguns (that would never fly today, somebody would call the cops)..... the "guests" brought all the food and drinks for the party. Tricks like removing all the labels from canned good and filling the bed with cereal were customary, unfortunately party planners had to be vigilant as there was always the risk some drunken fool would take things too far.
(4)

People will say we are in love:

Some people claim that you are to blame as much as I
Why do you take the trouble to bake my favorite pie?
Grantin' your wish I carved our initials on that tree
Just keep a slice of all the advice ya give so free...

BTW, found on Youtube
(0)

..Oh dear, had two windows open, posts did not show up.

I think I said:
Prior to the Shivaree comes courtship.
(1)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shivaree
(2)

Oh my GA, it's been years (decades?) since I've seen Oklahoma, I can't remember if there was a chivaree 🤔

(but of course now I've got that song stuck in my head 😂)
(2)

CWillie, wasn't a chivaree held in the musical Oklahoma?    I haven't heard that term in years, probably since the last time I watched the Oklahoma musical.    I miss those good old musicals and operettas.   Other than specific musical channels, class in entertainment has significantly been eliminated other than for PBS presentations.
(4)

Two local couples are celebrating 50th wedding anniversaries and while we were discussing this the topic of the chivaree came up (this is the local spelling, there are variants). These used to be very common in my area, I haven't heard of any lately but then I'm not part of that crowd anymore either. A search of the web would have you believe it is a custom from long ago - points to anyone who knows what it is!
(2)

Just checking on this general topics thread, making sure it is not expired.

Remembered, one of the 'neighbor' solutions I have is a portable, decorative fence that is about 4' high, comes in panels 3-4' wide, that connect. I bought panels over a period of time, adding to it over the years. at Lowe's.

I have moved that fence everywhere, as needed. It has helped me be calm, just when workers or neighbors were ready to infringe onto my property. As the years go by, it has been the best garden investment I ever made.

At Christmas, it holds the decorative Christmas light across the front of my house.
(1)

If plans work out I'm having some friends over for our monthly lunch date this week so I'll be busy with some house cleaning and sanitizing I don't usually bother with otherwise. Sad but true, I don't invest the effort I used to put into cleaning other people's houses into cleaning my own, I mean it's just me and as long as it's not a complete sty I'm OK with it 🤣
(5)

Dust Bunnies were living happily under my refrigerator.
All gone.
(3)

It's okay Elaine. Mostly I am trying to shorten back my own posts. Being responsible for my own contributions.

I always regret criticizing others after all is said and done.
If people enjoy reading long posts, they must be much younger than me.
(0)

Sendhelp, some of the posts are very long. Sometimes I get long winded and I forgot to space out my paragraphs.

I’m trying to remember, lol.
(1)

Is anybody having a difficult time reading the very long posts of new posters?
It seems that I have been writing more in response, when long ago, my answers used to be shorter.
If I wanted to read that much, I would read a book.
Can we shorten some of our posts?

Except for private messages, I want to read whatever is written there.
(0)

Glad - he likely believes that an ATV is the perfect way to explore nature 🙄. As for your descriptive words, there seems to be a lot of that kind of attitude, it seems to me that we boomers failed to raise moral kids.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter