Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Mom drank all of her coffee, juice and water tonight and ate most of her supper, she said her tummy was feeling better (well, she nodded her head when I asked). I'm thinking that maybe this is a virus that nobody wants to admit is going around.
(8)

Hoping there is more comfort for your Mom soon.
Hoping that you will keep strong in this struggle, and take the necessary breaks for yourself without guilt.
(1)

Thanks Send. They do tell me when there are medication changes, hence the call about using acidophilus. As for taking in food; mom doesn't eat much, and frankly none of my efforts in that department have been very successful (two bites and she's had enough).
(2)

Cwillie,
You are still a wonderful advocate for your Mom.
You might ask if the Nh has recently added a new medication that has a side effect of diarrhea.
You are also part of her care team, but now as family, her daughter.

Seems to me you can bring her food and it would be appreciated. If doubts, ask.
(2)

Hugs, CW. It can be very hard not to itch to meddle.

But not all suggestions are meddling, necessarily, if nicely put. Nothing wrong with a friendly suggestion and a little extra "treat" to cheer her up (and stem the flow :/).

Mind yourself. Sometimes you can feel like some kind of little ninepin, standing there helpless while others are being picked off around you, and if it just seems to be one after another I do think it's better to go and look actively for something to cheer you up again before you end up sucking your thumb and whimpering.

My neighbour has a pre-op assessment tomorrow, then surgery (not sure what, exactly, I suppose it depends on what tomorrow shows up) booked in for the following week. I got her Vogue to while away the hanging around time, nothing like other people's esoteric preoccupations (Must I wear topaz?) to take your mind off your own for a minute or two, I thought.
(2)

The BRAT diet -banana, rice, applesauce, toast - my first thoughts when I heard she had diarrhea. If she was still at home I would be feeding her differently, and I would be changing her more often and trying different soothing lotions and probably allowing her to stay in bed until she feels better too. I was thinking last night how I was once the owner/coach and called all the plays, now I'm just someone on the sidelines with no control rooting for the home team.
(5)

Cwillie,
Can you make mom some cream of rice ?
(2)

Cwillie, so much of what you say reminds me of my experience with my Mom's nursing home. It's so frustrating isn't it? There were times where I almost felt like sneaking a hidden camera in her room just to see what exactly went on. My Mom used to tell me that they ignored her until I came to visit and then they would all gush over her. I didn't know what to believe cause a lot of what my Mom said when I visited her was not true. For instance, there were a lot of trees outside my Mom's window and the spaces in between the trees where the sun shone through, my Mom thought were windows. We would debate about this all the time until one day I thought, oh I'll just agree with her. So when she would talk about being ignored I didn't know whether I should raise a stink about it or not. Cause if I did and it wasn't true then I've alienated the people looking after my Mom which I wouldn't want to do. So what do you do? I guess it's illegal to sneak a hidden camera in right? But...........if you don't get caught...........Hmmm, might be an idea C Willie. If you do it and get caught you can just say that stupid Gershun told me to do it.

All kidding aside though, I truly hope your Mom starts to feel better. Hugs!
(3)

(((((((cwillie)))))) I am sorry your mum has developed diarrhea. Any change (usually for the worse) gets your "alert" system going. I hope they can figure out what is causing it and correct it. it is so hard watching your LO slide downhill. I too hope they are keeping her clean and comfortable.
(6)

I don't know MsMadge, mom has been palliative for so long I just don't trust my instincts anymore.
(3)

Cwillie
I'm sorry mom is not well and diarrhea is not fun especially for the bedridden
I hope the aides are doing a good job keeping her clean and comfortable

Are you inclined to ask for a stool sample to be taken if it doesn't resolve shortly ?

So many have passed at hoca the past two years that I've begun to forget their names

It still bothers me to see the decline in some especially the younger ones in their 70s

I had nightmares last night - nothing in particular but I sense dread of things to come

I do need a hot cocoa
(4)

This isn't really a whine, and it doesn't warrant a new thread - thank goodness for the catchall of General Topics.

Mom isn't doing so well, nothing you can really put your finger on, but she is just... frailer, sleepier, less... I don't know, just less. I got a call from the NH (1/2 hour after I left, why they didn't talk to me when I was there...) saying that mom was having constant diarrhea and she's getting sore, so they are starting her on acidophilus. So how is this possible in a woman who has needed laxatives for 50 years, and whose chronic constipation drove me to scream on this forum many times? I can think of 3 possibilities: virus, partial impaction, cancer. The doc comes in at lunch time and basically just writes scripts, I doubt he has ever examined her. The RN's never seem to step far from the nurses station, I doubt they've examined her either. The RPN's (LPN's) are busy handing out meds. The report of diarrhea comes from the ones changing her diaper, the women on the front lines who are powerless. Do I want to push this? At this point does it even matter? I've decided to just wait and see (sigh)

And then there's this...
People keep dying there. I understand that is what happens in nursing homes, but sometimes it's people you never expected. It's shocking, it's depressing as hell, and I find myself wanting to pull back from interacting with anyone who lives there. I could never work there because I just couldn't stand it.
(6)

When I connected the cable between the iPad and laptop, the window on the iPad popped up that it was not compatible. I ignored it since I was determined to do the back-up. Anyway, when I was recovering the iPad, I couldn't find a simple instructions in Google on how to recover the info using the cable/iTunes. So, I just followed the YouTube on using the iCloud... I already forgot how I did it. I think I need to replace the charger. You just reminded me that I need to buy one. I'm a bit tired to try to order it now. 
(1)

bookluvr - techs often recommend doing a factory reset on Windows once every 6 months to a year. I don't think it would be all that different for an iPad. Glad you are happy about getting some memory space back!

This just occurred to me, but I assume you used a cable with a USB end if you hooked your iPad up to your PC?  When you hooked it up, did it appear to be taking a charge that way? (Can you charge an iPad off a PC?  I don't know.  I can charge my Android tablet and phone that way.)  If so, and you still have problems when you plug it in to the wall, it's probably the charger (or the adapter end of your charger, if your working USB cable is also part of your charger). 
(1)

While recovering the iPad, it asked me about the Find My iPhone. I didn't know what that was. All I know is that all my kindles have the Locations off. So, I typed no. Got an email from Apple that anyone using my iPad can do anything without my Apple ID and password. Boy, that sounds awfully ominous.

Anyway, I can't believe it. Before the factory reset, my iPad storage was 11.3 gb of 16gb used. Guess what it is now! 7.1 gb used!! I was going crazy deleting my photos and it just kept inching towards the 16gb.... It's my email that is linked to the iPad. It was about 950MB and climbing. It's now only 13.MB. I didn't know how to lower the email storage without permanently deleting my files in it.... And my Kindle App had the most storage in GB. Now it's down to only 117MB... Would it be bad if I do this factory reset maybe once a year on the iPad?

Ohhh. I haven't tried it yet on the charger. I don't feel like seeing bad news if the iPad continues to view the charger as incompatible. And I don't feel like pulling and inserting the charger into the wall socket repeatedly until the iPad accepts it... Plus, I just did my budget. Yikes! Someone had fun ordering online - without limits... =(

It seems like credit card is also my downfall...
(2)

Happy New Year!
(3)

FreqFlyer my downfall is the midnight snacking. Cravings is sweets. Doc asked me what I snack on - though I thought I was eating healthy - all had in common is sugar. He said that I would get a sugar crash after a few hours of eating. Hence the intense hunger a few hours later. I need to replace the sweets with Protein snack.
(3)

bookluvr, yes same problem here with that gosh darn big stomach. I also look pregnant. For decades I use to be a gym rat before I started taking care of my parents, and all that time and energy went to waist [lol, pun intended]. Now at 70, going to the gym isn't on my top to do list :( I get winded just carrying up the laundry basket from the basement.

Mally, I agree with you about added steroids and hormones placed in meat and poultry, thus the farmers can sell their livestock quicker. I know for myself when it comes to food, I can forget it is time to eat lunch. And a bag of chips can sit in the cupboard for months. I do know my downfall is chocolate.

Ah yes, I use to walk to school in the snow going uphill both ways :)
(7)

Thanks, Glad. I want to have courage and determination to help me do what I want in life and not feel obligated to do this or that.

I have stopped praying to God when caregiving for mom was too much for me.  That was over 20 years ago.  Since it's a new year, I'm going to start praying to God or even my ancestor to give me the strength to resist the upcoming pressures. At the moment, I'm not going to be picky. I usually avoid embracing my heritage. These past 26 years I was a good Christian who avoided my heathen heritage. I have always been torn between the Christian religion and my native upbringing. One condemns the other - no ifs or buts, no compromises. I was never willing to root out my heritage...because that is what I am, who I am. Perhaps if I grew up in the Mainland, I would have been able do it.

Edit:  Thanks Dorianne!
(4)

Happy New Year bookluvr!
(3)

HNY, Book!! I hope the year brings all you want and so deserve.
(4)

Fireworks have been bursting for about 7 minutes now. People yelling. Cars are honking their horns. Alas I can't see the fireworks... That one person who's yelling sounds funny. Going on 9 minutes fireworks. It's a new year, everyone! I sooo hope this year is good to you and your family.
(5)

Oh, cross-posted with you, bookluvr!!
(1)

bookluvr - I think you mean 32 bit versus 64 bit? Which basically refers to the register in your processor memory (versus your storage memory). If your laptop is newer than Windows 7, it's probably 64 bit. I gather your system has already told you what you need! But here is a link that tells you how to find your system info in different versions of Windows:

howtogeek.com/howto/21726/how-do-i-know-if-im-running-32-bit-or-64-bit-windows-answers/

I have no idea how to do this in Apple products.

If you were using a tablet, I would probably just say hook your tablet up to your laptop with your USB cable. Then on your laptop, search for and go into File Explorer. Scroll down the menu on the left until you see "This PC" and click on that. There, on the right, you'll see all your devices, including your laptop drive (usually your C drive), your DVD/CD drive, and your device (tablet) drive, plus any other drives you may have. You could then go into your tablet drive, find the files you want to save, and copy them to your laptop.

To do this, you'd create a file folder on your laptop desktop. Then in your tablet drive, highlight and copy (CTRL + C on your keyboard) the items you want to save. Then go to the file you just created, and paste (CTRL + V) them into the file. You can highlight a number of items all at once and copy + paste them, or you can just copy an entire file - say, if your photos are all stored in one file folder, just click on the folder and copy that.

But I don't know if that will work with an iPad???

I do often just save my files somewhere else when I need to (like a flash drive), rather than doing a full system back up, as it's less time-consuming. But if you have a LARGE number of files you want to save, or if you're not sure you can find them all on your own, then do a system back up. It depends how much you do with your iPad. When it comes to my tablet, personally, there are hardly any files on there I need to save, besides some photos and videos.
(2)

Dorianne, I'm going to be posting on your wall. I googled 'How to do factory reset on iPad Air" Why couldn't it be so simple?! I found a YouTube video. Guess what... my iPad Air doesn't have an i-Cloud in the Setting! ... Do you think maybe this is why niece & I had a difficult time from the beginning with me signing up to i-Cloud?.... {grumbling ... devices and I don't get along... IT always ends up taking over to troubleshoot my computer...} .. If you don't mind, I'm going to be sending you Help! messages in your Wall. {eyes rolling} Otherwise, I will beg bro from the states to go to Best Buy and just buy me a tablet and mail it over. Hopefully they will have a New Year's sale.
(3)

Be nice dear Veronica; there are too many of us that have tried everything, and in our mid sixties, are still gaining weight. Doctors say they don't know why; I think it's that we've eaten meat with steroids in it all these years, and if you read the labels of almost EVERYTHING, it all has some form of sugar in it, disguised by fancy names. Some of you have read my posts and know I'm not sedentary (I'm the one feeding horses 2X a day in below zero weather; up the hill, thru the forest, straight into the wind, upside down and backward (remember going to school?), and still can't lose - Aaaargh!
(5)

Dorianne, I'm desperate. Someone else also told me that I need to do factory reset. No, I should not do icloud to save my info. Best to hook up the iPad to my laptop and save it there but I must have iTunes. Well, I don't have iTunes on this new laptop. I tried downloading the app. 32gb or 64gb? I don't know. I hit 32gb..... After a while, it says I need to download the 64gb.. grrrr. Accomplished. I will save data later. It's 2pm and behind with laundry and haven't cooked RICE nor had lunch yet. ....
(3)

I only weigh 108 lbs but my stomach is big. I look pregnant. Several people I know who were 'big' have lost so much weight. 2 of them lost weight by cutting back their food. Instead of 2 scoops of rice for lunch, then dinner, they only eat 1 scoop. Rice is our staple food. Both have also cut their meal portions. One of them goes walking with his wife after dinner for the past 6 months. That's it! No Drastic Diets! No awful Gym Exercises. And they've lost weight!

So, I'm trying to cut down on rice, which I'm struggling. And I'm trying to walk on my glider after dinner... I'm not being consistent....
(5)

Er FF have you thought of shedding the extra pounds?
(1)

Hate buying new clothes. Hate it with a passion. Since ending my caregiving once my parents had passed, I am dealing with 30 extra pounds. Now I need to empty my closet and start over.

Standard sizing is no where to be found. A "large" made by one manufacturer is a "small" with another manufacturer. It's a guessing game when buying on-line and even at the store :P

Now I am trying to find knee socks that I can actually get more than half way up my leg. I even ordered "wide calf" knee socks and they weren't all that roomy. Do companies think everyone's legs are the size of Twiggy???

And my new slacks look like clown pants.... perfect fit at the waist, but so baggy elsewhere. Wish I could wear pajamas to work !! Those do fit nicely.

I will need to drag myself to the store to buy a new winter coat. I can get my old ones on but I can't zip it up because I have gain too much weight around the waist. Maybe I could be like a teenager who refuses to button up their jackets :)
(9)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter