Follow
Read More
My pumpkin is cooking on the porch (🕯️) and I've had my first 5 little trick or treaters. I usually don't get many kids but every year there have been a few more - I've only bought 32 rice krispies squares, I hope that will be enough.🎃
(3)

Linda, you’re right. I completely forgot. A big pot of soup! Not beef shank because that takes at least 5 hours cooking so that the meat falls off the bones. Thanks.
(1)

Book, go NMexican food. Big pot of well seasoned pinto beans and throw in some browned ground beef to make it heartier. Cornbread or flour tortillas. Seasoned rice. Or a big pot of posole and flour tortillas. Make a couple cakes from mixes.
(2)

Book, the more the merrier? Buy lots of Mac and cheese!
(2)

All my Mainland family have been communicating with fave niece, whom I’m staying with. Before I left Island, I knew that my 2 sisters in Colorado were driving down to meet us in Albuquerque. Oldest sis grownup son and his family. Youngest sis, her whole family including the grandkids coming to Albuquerque. Yesterday afternoon, my older brother from the other end of Texas called about Albuquerque. He and his oldest son was coming. After niece hung up, I knew that baby brother will be going since all our Mainland siblings are going. Yep, he called me and needed me to book his mileage reward ticket. Today, oldest brother’s 2 grown up sons and grown up daughter asked for fave niece home address... !!!! ...

Niece is panicking. It is our local custom to accept passing by or visiting relatives into our homes. We provide everything, even meals. Lastnight, niece was only hosting my baby brother because it was cheaper for him to fly back home from El Paso than from Albuquerque. Niece was only having 2 guests - me and my youngest brother... As of a few hours ago, she received texts and phone calls from my oldest brother’s oldest son asking for niece home address. Niece was puzzled. Her cousin replied, “Oh, you didn’t know?” After she hung up, she said, “Aunty, I think Uncle and his son are driving back with us on Sunday! I think they’re spending the night!??” .. okaaayyy.. Her husband just got into the army last year. He’s the sole breadwinner for his wife and 3 young kids.

This afternoon, niece received a phone call from oldest brother’s 2nd oldest son asking for her home address. She hung up. Aunty! I think cousin so-and-so is coming home with us, too! She’s beginning to panic. She doesn’t have money to buy enough grocery to feed everyone. I offered her $100. She refused to take my money because I make minimum wage compared to her husband.... Then, a few minutes later, my oldest brother’s only daughter (hubby in military Air Force with 2 kids) texted my niece asking for her home address. Niece panicking and now has a terrible headache. How is she going to house everyone? And how is she going to feed them? Again, I offered my $100.... The house is a mess and not prepared for first cousins and their family. Cousins she hasn’t seen since she was 4 years old. That’s like 30 years ago.

yes, even if we haven’t met relatives before in our life, we are still obligated to take them into our home. It’s the custom... ahem, this has never happened to us because no one wanted to stay with my parents with mom being violent or accusing.... Out of curiosity, I asked niece if anyone who asked for her home address ASKED if they can visit and stay in her home. No!! Wow...
(3)

On the front page of our newspaper MsMadge,it said that our Sears store was going to remain open,so I guess not all the stores are closing so I would think Sears would still honor your service agreement.I sure hope so~
(2)

I wonder if my service agreement with Sears is gone with the wind now that Sears has filed BK
(2)

Check Albuquerque weather report Book. It has been unseasonably COLD in these parts. But the rest of the week is supposed to be mid 60's and 70's by the weekend. Nights will be 40's. Don't go too nuts on those layers.

And I love Old Town Albuquerque! Enjoy it Book.
(1)

Went out today to Burlington because it was 45 degrees here and needed winter coat for preemie. I wore regular thermal stretchy pants and jeans. I was warm on top (layered with tank top, blouse, sweater and then medium jacket.) There was no wind but the cold air easily went through my pants and freezing my legs. Unfortunately, they ran out of petite small thermal pants. I will just have to wear 2 thermals and my jeans in Albuquerque this weekend. Going to Old Town Albuquerque on Saturday, the zoo and biopark on Sunday. My legs will be freezing. ...

I still have my sinus. Today, I’m finding some blood when I blow my nose. Tonight, more blood. I’ve googled on what to do with a bleeding nose. I can’t stand blood and want to be prepared when gushes of red blood... After dinner, Niece heard me playing YouTube videos demonstrating how to stop a nosebleed. She’s lending me her preemie’s humidifier in the guest bedroom. I used my normal saline spray. And my eye drop moisturizer. We’re homebound for the next 2 days. Her hubby will be taking the car tomorrow and won’t be home for 2 days... Albuquerque is colder than here...

p.s... it’s 11:30pm and my hands are freezing. I will wear my mom’s knitted gloves tonight. I should sleep while I can breathe easily from both nostrils. Night all...
(2)

Oh, I am having fun. Preemie nephew didn't pass the medical test as a normal child. I've watched them as a family and how they interacted when I arrived. Unfortunately all of them caters to preemie. He grunts, they do. First day, Friday, I concentrated spending time with the older kids (oldest 1st grade.) We did a lot of reading from some children's e-books I downloaded. Nephew so eager to show me that he can read.

Yesterday, I played educationally with preemie nephew. He can't talk much at all, just lots of grunts and doing simple sign language he learned back home from daycare. He refuses to point. He just stands there and grunts. Then he throws a temper tantrum and cries because they can't figure out what he wants. He can walk. He's smart but... I started playing with him building stuff on top of each other. His plastic bowl in the bottom, then the blocks, his older sister's play cup in top and then the small whale toy into the cup. As I touched each object, I said the name of each object slowly and carefully. I widened my eyes and enthused my voice. When I picked up his toy whale, I said fish. He finally tried to talk. He said 'ish'. I laughed and clapped my hands praising him. He said ish again. I said, oops! I didn't know you can pick up words fast! This is a whale. He looked at his toy and said 'ish'.... His sis tried to tell him it's a whale. He kept saying ish. I played different make-up games with him yesterday. He learns it from the very first time!I

Lastnight, I used the plastic water bottle caps on the table with him on my lap. I put both caps on top of my slanted iPad 's cover - saying UP! Then I let go the caps to slide down the iPad and into the table. I said DOWN! he was giggling. I gave him one cap, and we both put it on top of the iPad with me saying UP! Then we both let it go to slide DOWN! he just kept laughing. Later that night, he came up to me grunting. Niece called him to her and he refused. He wanted me to hold him. Niece was hurt. I told her that most kids like me because I play with them. That's all.
(8)

Book, I hope your flare up goes away as quickly as it's come on. Perhaps once you stop the antibiotics, you'll feel better and start sleeping. Have a great trip despite the rough start!!! Hope the Claritin helps you out.
(1)

Book, have a wonderful visit.
(1)

Oh dang Book, ouch! Maybe you need a different antibiotic, could you go to an urgent care or walk in clinic? I know that some antihistamines work better for me than others, but I would have thought a decongestant and some tylenol or ibuprofen would be better?
(2)

First flight hop, my right face was in severe pain. I really thought something would literally pop inside. I didn’t think I could get on the next hop - not even if it was to fly back home. Kept the mask on as much as possible. Too many coughing from other passengers. I googled about flying with sinus. Drying up your sinus also prevents your body’s natural ability to stop germs from entering. I wasn’t coughing or sneezing or blowing my nose. Anyway, made the mistake of taking off Earplane plugs once the plane was taxiing into Denver airport. The cabin pressure hurt my ears. Today, day 5 of 6 days antibiotic, I had an allergic reaction. (I had stopped the Claritin on Friday, yesterday.) My whole nose is flushed red and swollen, same applies to my lips. Right ear has a very loud tinnitus. And I can’t sleep at all, Saturday night. I crashed in bed Friday night. 21 hours traveling and crazily chewing gum at every take offs and landing just wore me out. I was able to only sleep 4 hours. Couldn’t sleep in the plane. Since I started the antibiotics on Wednesday, I have not slept fully, only snatches... part of the antibiotic side effects.

Edit: googled what to do if allergic reaction. Recommended Claritin, etc.. I’m going downstairs to pop that Claritin. Hmmmm. Was I allergic to Azithromycin all this time but the Claritin prevented the swelling?
(2)

Mally, that sounds better, You could appeal the determination, but get an elder law attorney to assist.
(1)

Oh, for heaven's sake; I typed it wrong... it's $1330 a month. It was too late for me
I guess, 11pm. Now does it make sense? Thanks!
(3)

May be an error, CM.

Mally, was the application filled out incorrectly at 13K a month and should have been a year? That certainly could be corrected.
(1)

I'm guessing that's a misprint, Glad?- because if nearly $160K a year is close to the poverty line, oh boy am I in trouble!
(4)

13,000 a month income? Times 3 of SS of 2100 is 6300. Why does she need Medicaid?

At 13k a month she should have a hefty savings account too. Where does she spend money?
(2)

Need help guys; mom denied Medicaid for too much income ($13,300 mo and has no assets or savings). State says she must have less than 300% of SSI Standard Benefit amount of $2199 - how much would that be? If she's over it, would a waiver help? I also read here on AC about something that puts the excess in an escrow account for Medicaid, I think, but can't remember the name of the program.
(0)

Ali, In high school I read a book titled "The Primal Scream" I did plenty of screaming into my pillow in those days! LOL! AND I still remember it!
(3)

Lu, I scream sometimes as a way of venting bad feelings. I don't know if it really helps me but that's the only reason I can think of as to why I do it. I don't do it every day, but when I'm feeling overwhelmed and I'm alone (lol... don't want to scare anyone!), then I yell or scream and try to re-focus on my task. It's bizarre behavior but I'm definitely doing it as a coping tool, and it's been like this since caregiving. I'm more emotionally fragile than I used to be, for sure. So I wonder if your sighing is a bit like that, that you use it to express your emotions instead of being stoic about things.
(1)

Book, I forget if you have stand alone air filter units. You could try one of those to help with all the allergy stuff. I still run one in my bedroom at night. I know it helped me feel better back when I was concerned about mold in the old place. Before the air filter unit, I would wake up each day with sore throat, but after I got the Austin Air unit in the bedroom, I'd wake up and throat was noticeably not as sore. They do help.
(3)

That's nice of your nephew Book... sort of 😕.
(2)

I agree. I've pulled out the medium jacket, too.

My nephew came to visit the other day. I've asked him if he can keep an on his aunty (my oldest sis.) He decided he needed an excuse to be here all the time. So, today, he dropped by. He walked through the bedrooms and his eyes started hurting. He said it's the beginning of a sinus/allergy attack. He took my swifter and swiped the ceiling. Powdered paint fell to the floor. He said that this is dangerous because it's powdered paint falling off and we're breathing it. He thinks this is why I have a terrible time with sinus/allergy. He offered to repaint the bedrooms. He will choose the cheapest paint and he will do it while I'm away. He'll also clean the air conditioner. So, I'm going to have to figure out where to hide my real gold jewelry and emergency cash while I'm away in vacation.
(6)

Today,while visiting my Cousin in the hospital.I was walking down the long hallway,alone I thought and I let out one of my big sighs and this nurse,out of nowhere appeared and asked me if I was alright.Suprised by her,I just said"I make all kinds of noises Mam".

I did think it was nice of her to care and ask me though.

I sigh a lot and I don't know why,but it just makes me feel better.Iv'e sighed a lot ever since Mom died for some reason.
(11)

Book, I sympathize about the whole sinus thing. I've been having a horrible time with post nasal drip, popping right ear, T M J. According to my doc. It's allergy related. My T M J is okay for now. Knock on wood. You should ask Send about this Hepa filter she recommended to me. It's helped my post nasal drip a great deal.
(3)

I remember you hate to be cold so be sure to err on the side of too many warm clothes rather than not enough. And I'm sure you can borrow stuff from your niece too. I hope it is a wonderful trip 😊
(4)

Cwillie, I researched it before finally choosing October. I just don’t comprehend what it means when they say it’s going to be 59 degrees. I know hot, humid, windy, cold front (rarely goes below 70). So all I asked of niece is don’t give me numbers. Just tell me what I need to bring... she just responded. Medium jacket, beanie, scarves and gloves. Beanie- I didn’t think she meant one of those dinky bean bags we used to play when small. I googled it. Oh, she meant winter caps, knitted caps.. I’m going to stick to layering....
(5)

Book, why don't you do a little research on your destination at the weather network or accuweather, they usually post a 14 day forecast and even may have one for a monthly trend.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter