Follow
Read More
🥰

"Don't count the number of friends you have,
but the number of friends you can count on."
(3)

I love this quote
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies but the silence of our friends "
MLK
(5)

(0)

🥰 today's words of wisdom...

"May the bridges I burn light the way."
(4)

🥰 today's words of wisdom...

"Listen to your heart
It knows everything"
(2)

🥰 more wisdom...

"Everyone makes their own decisions.
Stop being responsible for other people's bulls*****t."
(3)

🥰 more wisdom...

"It’s never easy being the responsible one.”
(2)

❤️ more wisdom...

"YOU matter.”
(2)

My DEXA scan was not as I thought. Doc wants me to start taking plant based calcium product like Algaecal. Gosh, it isn't cheap. Doc said one patient is getting it from Canada. How.would I check that price?
(1)

Don't know, glad. I do all my price checking with google. I check both Amazon .ca and .com for prices and availability and other places.
(1)

Glad, aren’t red algae and Tums, etc, the same calcium carbonate? (my last biology and chemistry classes were about 40 years ago)
(2)

Glad, I checked out a website here in Canada and the average price was $50.00 for 120 tablets.
(5)

I'd do a little research and comparison shopping before opting for expensive supplements, is the doc getting kickbacks?
(4)

What the doc said and I confirmed is that the plant based calcium has a much better absorption rate, which makes sense. Tums is derived from chalk, Algaecal well, from red algae. The recommended dose is four capsules a day, 120 capsules a month.

The plant based calcium actually helps.to increase bone density, chalk based.stops progression of bone loss. Calcium carbonate is superior to calcium citrate in absorption rates. So plant based supplements are calcium carbonate.

Doc did say to find plant based supplement will work best. She wasn't pushing a single brand. The only time I have seen products sold in doctor's offices is dentists and dermatologists. I don't think kick backs is an issue.

I will keep shopping there are other options available. Thanks all.
(3)

Piping Rock has a red mineral algae supplement for only $15 USD... it lacks the boron and vitamin D and K though. Definitely worth more investigating if money is an issue.
(3)

I asked my doctor awhile back if I should be taking vitamins or supplements. The only thing that she recommended was vitamin D. She said if we eat properly we will get everything that we need.

I suppose it all depends on an individual’s situation.

cw,

Hahaha, doctor kickbacks. My dad actually suspected that. He had a doctor that put him on a bazillion vitamins and supplements. They were very expensive! My dad switched doctors.

Sometimes, I think about people who are involved in those MLM’s who are looking to make money. The only people who make money in those pyramid schemes are the ones at the top! Remember Herbalife? Is that still around? Or Amway? I never purchase anything from those kind of businesses.
(2)

NHWM have you had a DEXA scan? Everyone should get one. Medicare Supplement pays for many screenings, including DEXA. Improving bone density is.much cheaper to treat than broken hips and other bones!

And eating properly? Must be a joke! My favorite foods through life is most dairy! I should not have a home density issue based on that!
(2)

Glad,

Is Dexa, the bone density scan? Yes, my doctor had me do one of those. How often do we need to do that?

I’m due for my mammogram. I don’t know how long we have to do those either.

I was always shocked that my mom never broke any bones. She took quite a few tumbles.

Her bone density test were always great! She did love milk. She drank it all of her life. She was just lucky to have good bones and not break anything.

I broke both bones in my arm in my 40’s, but it was from a really bad bicycle accident. I didn’t see a tree branch in the street and I wiped out.

My husband broke his arm at age 2! He was swinging and told his mom, “Off!” He jumped off and broke his arm. At least I waited until my 40’s to break my arm. LOL 😆

I haven’t taken many vitamins. Mom gave us multivitamins as kids. I think they were Flinstones or something like that.
(3)

Glad,

I know what you mean about ‘eating properly’ not always helping. I think about people who have exercised and are well all of their lives and end up dying young.

Other people eat junk, smoke, drink, etc. and they are still doing well. Go figure.
(4)

We are getting record breaking warm weather and like a fool I opened up all my windows. My eyes are on fire🔥(darn allergies)
(5)

cw,

I have horrible allergies too. They are miserable.
(3)

Typo,

My autocorrect hates me! 😆

Should read ‘ate’ well all of their lives.
(1)

Glad, I found this stuff online
https://plantfusion.com/products/vegan-plant-based-calcium
I eat mostly yogurt and must have strong bones from it. The only thing I've broken was my little toe. I'm not the most graceful person and seem to run into things or drop something on my feet 😁
(5)

Cat, thanks I will look into it.I

I have never broken a bone either.
(2)

Cat,

I like yogurt a lot too. I buy plain Greek yogurt and put it in smoothies or I make a parfait with fresh fruit and granola. I started using it in recipes instead of sour cream too.
(2)

I get the Oikos banana cream greek yogurt and Activia vanilla. I like Belvita bars or Graham crackers with it. Not sure what got me started eating yogurt.
(1)

I like the Clio mini bars; flavored greek yogart bars covered with chocolate. Quick and eady to grab anf just enough to satisfy a sweet tooth craving.
(3)

❤️🐾🐾🐾 today’s sweet words…

“You deserve all the love &
happiness that come your way.”
(3)

I finally bought 50% off Easter candy today 🤪🐰🐇
(3)

No leftover Easter chocolate in the village NW of us. I’ll try the village east of us where my youngest works on Saturdays. Last Friday I snuck chocolate eggs into my friends’ purses and coat pockets while they were distracted. Put away my purse this afternoon and found 3 leftover eggs. Yay me!
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter