Follow
Read More
There is a hair conditioner that I really love, until the company put the product into a tube.... now I can't squeeze the conditioner out due to arthritis in my fingers, unless I put it on the floor and step on it :P Conditioners have always been so much thicker than shampoo, of which I have no problem with. Who's bright idea was this? Some 25 year old marketing genius?

Regarding packaging, I have always noticed throughout the decades how products have become smaller. Well, I pulled off my storage shelf a package of paper towels, I always purchase the same brand, and this package was pretty dusty sitting in storage for so long.

I pulled out a roll of paper towels from that dusty package and there was such a noticeable difference between how many sheets were on the old roll compared to what we get today. It was almost comical the difference. Makes me wonder what the roll will look like ten years of now :)
(7)

Well I have been having some issues lately,, BP sky high, put on Lisinopral and am having horrible side effects. Dizzy is the worst, and my own driving makes me nervous! Luckily I have a carpool for work most days, and by afternoon it seems to get better ( I take the pill at night).. but Dr said it can take 3 weeks to work so I am trying to wait it out until I see her in 2 weeks. My BP went down initially but was higher today ( but luckily nowhere near as high as it was ) Never high before so we are working on it. Then yesterday I had 2 root canals! I have to say that went great,, no pain except for the novacaine and I was worried for nothing there! Hopefully things will improve soon!
(8)

FF, is it a Pantene conditioner? I have the same gripe. When I opened the tube I have now, the cap broke off. Now, I can't even store it upside down to make the product easier to get out.
(5)

FF and Glad, I get packetts of conditioner and they are horrible to use too. I can get 3 uses from one packett, but after the first use I have to grab the packett with my TEETH and squeeze some out! My thumbs don;t work like they used to! Sometimes
I squeeze it onto my leg or arm and scrape it off,, getting old is no fun!
(5)

PamZ, I take lisinopril. Started out one in am, then had to go to one morning and one in the evening. The dizziness went away after a couple of weeks. I've been on it for two years.
(6)

Pam,

Packaging is awful!

I bought cds to listen to in my previous car. Oh gosh, opening up a cd was stressful. They are hermetically sealed! My new car doesn’t have a cd player. That’s a thing of the past!

Here in New Orleans, we have a list of things gone by the wayside. We call it, Ain’t Dere No More!

It’s a funny list. You could probably find it online. You may have to be a New Orleans native to appreciate it though.

I just googled it and they have Benny Grunch & The Bunch, one of our popular local bands singing their song, Ain’t Dare No More! Looks like they have a Facebook page on it too.
(2)

KC thank you! I am trying to wait it out,, I may need a lower dose, They started me on 20 ! I hope to call my Dr tomorrow
(2)

gladimhere, yes it is the Pantene conditioner. Loved it when it came in a regular upright plastic bottle.
(3)

Everything is smaller. Things that were once a pound are now 12 ounces. Yogurt that was a cup is now 6 ounces.

Oh, but the price hasn’t shrunk!
(3)

I love your post, Send. Very nice and full of wisdom.
(0)

pamzimmrrt, I remember trying to deal with blood pressure medicine. My cardiologist has me on Metprolol. I first started out on a higher dosage ..... why do doctor's do that, why not start with a small dosage first so not to scare the daylights out of their patients when there are side effects. That higher dosage was making me way too sleepy during the day. Doctor suggestion 1.5 pills, and that worked as long as I take it at night.

Sig-other was placed on blood pressure meds as the doctor thought his readings were way to high. He had that very dizzy feeling, too, more so when standing up or getting out of bed.

Turned out he had what is called "white coat syndrome", where just thinking about going to the doctor offices will spike his blood pressure. He got off of the meds and his blood pressure readings are normal when he checks it at home using a cuff.
(6)

PamZ. I take 2 20 mg a day. My older brother takes two 40 Mg a day. He says he's in the big league.
(3)

Pam -hope you get these issues sorted out soon. Any idea why the high BP came on so quickly? Glad your dr s on it. I use my teeth too and scraping off my leg or arm as well. Whatever works!!!

I totally agree with everyone that packaging is a PITA and also deceptive.

ff - I have white coat syndrome and my BP is usually high in the drs office though not always. Working on overcoming that. At home it is fine. I know I would be dizzy on BP meds.
(4)

NHWM, ice cream used to come in 1/2 gallon cartons. Now, I have no idea what size but they look like a little more than a pint. Bacon used to come in 1 lb. packages, then they shrunk to 12 oz, now 10 oz.
(5)

PB,

Geeeeeez, I haven’t bought bacon in awhile. It’s gone down to 10ounces? That’s sad.

I knew about the ice cream. My husband loves his ice cream!
(3)

Super! Thanks!
(0)

All,, I do have white coat syndrome,, but the second reading was always down to normal. This time I was over 200 over 100,, not good at all. For a week or so. No idea why,, I mean I am under stress but seemed no more than normal. It did go down to 135/75 for one day,, they last 2 up to 175/100. And alot of the stressors should have been gone this week,, I had a double root canal I have been stressing about, went off like a charm. But oddly ( and not to jinx myself) as I was going to call my Dr.. I realized today I felt almost normal again! So I am trying to hold off until my apt in 2 weeks and hope things normalize. Maybe I am getting used to it,, but I am afraid to get my hopes up! Thank you all for the support and advise!
(2)

Pam,

Forgive me if you already mentioned it. Sometimes, I don’t feel like reading all the way back to the beginning of a post.

What about your salt intake? Too much salt will spike my pressure. I noticed this when I eat out. I don’t use a lot of salt when cooking. It’s hard to control sodium intake when eating out.

What other ingredients spike pressure? Doesn’t alcohol spike pressure too? Smoking?

I hope that you will be able to get it to a normal range soon. With those numbers I don’t know how your doctor didn’t send you to the ER.

When my pressure spiked during my caregiver days with mom, my doctor sent me to a cardiologist. She was concerned about me having a stroke or heart attack. She doubled my meds.

Mine is mostly stable now but if I eat an excessive amount of salt it will spike. My doctor says that I am very sensitive to sodium and that I must keep an eye on it.
(2)

My daughter is visiting her friend in Denver. Her plane just landed. She just texted me and said that it’s a nice crisp 28 degrees.

My southern daughter has fallen in love with cold weather!

I told her that I didn’t think it was crisp. I think of crisp as around 60! 28 degrees is cold!

Our current temp in New Orleans is 74!

She bought winter clothes when she lived in Denver for a couple of years. She won’t be wearing many of her winter clothes here.

She is a horrible suitcase packer! Her suitcase was exactly at the 50 lb limit. Sometimes, she goes over the limit.

It was close to 80 degrees when her flight left New Orleans. She had on a sleeveless top. She had to put on her jacket when she landed in Denver.
(2)

Need, the ER dosent do much anymore for HP unless you are stroking, ( just start you on meds ) , I work in a Neuro ICU. I don;t eat much added salt, have not since my Mom lived with us. Just add the salt if you want it,, I don;t . I do have the occasional beer, but it dosent seem to be the issue. Not sure when it began as it had been normal at my last check 6 months ago. Now I have gotten a home machine. so I will checking every few days. I was worried about being sent to the ER.. but both my Dr and my Drs at Hopkins said they don;t really do that any more with no symptoms. I had no issues except for the numbers! Hoping things improve and I will be on top of it!
(3)

Pam,

Every few days? My doctor had me taking my BP twice a day when it was really high. My doctor told me to bring in my home machine to measure it next to theirs for accuracy.

Mine was predominantly stress related due to my full time caregiving.

My brother who lives in D. C. and an investment banker had tremendously high BP. His was stress related due to his job. He had a heart attack more than once. He’s stubborn and works 80 hours a week.

My other brother has serious heart issues too and also has high BP.

My dad had very high BP and heart issues. Mom didn’t. Parkinson’s patients have the opposite issue. She had low BP.

I had normal range before caring for mom.

Does high blood pressure run in families? Did your mom and dad have high BP?
(2)

Need they keep moving the numbers,, LOL My Mom and dad both had high BP, my Dr didn;t want me taking mine every day because she was worried I was stressing about it too much ..LOL I probably was. I was going through alot and and my sleeping issues were awful . And it had never been high in my 64 years they were hoping it was just no sleep and stress, Now I am checking it every other day. They did tell me it could take 3 weeks to regulate, and luckily for me my Dr is a friend.. so she is on it! As are my Drs I trust at Hopkins,, they don't want me stoking at work!!
(3)

Pam,

Okay, that makes sense if you were getting overly concerned about it.

Many people have sleep issues which adds stress to our lives too.
(3)

My cousin who turned 100 years old in February is still driving. She has a shuttle bus in her senior apartment building that would take her to her doctor appointments and most other places.

She says that she doesn’t want to take the shuttle bus because the bus leaves too early to bring people to the doctor and picks them up much later than her appointment ends. She likes everything her way.

She says that she only drives to church, grocery, Walmart, the dollar store, restaurants to meet her friends. exercise class at her senior center and her doctor’s office.

Geeeeeez! I hate that she is still driving. Her kids don’t live close by and even if they did, they couldn’t convince her.

Sometimes I pass RV’s on the interstate and see quite elderly people driving them. I can’t imagine driving a big RV as a senior. I can see if they decide to live in one at a campground or something but I question their safety when driving one of those large RV’s all over the place.
(6)

Glad,

What did you decide to do with all of your fabrics? I have to get cracking on some of my projects that I want to make.

It’s interesting how things accumulate over the years. I enjoy making jewelry and I have lots of beads. I got away from it and not sure if I want to keep them or not.

I have a friend who got into the scrapbooking craze big time! She tried to get me involved in it but I have no desire to make my own cards. Her cards are beautiful but I just as soon buy them at the store.

My husband’s grandmother was an incredible artist. When she died she had canvases and oil paints galore!

My mother in law did ceramics and she had tons of pieces that she didn’t get around to.

It seems like everyone who takes up a hobby over buys on materials.
(3)

🥰 today's words of wisdom

"Maybe your final stage
of healing is telling people to f*****k off."
(3)

pamz - I found a video about how to lower your BP naturally. One of the exercises in deep breathing for 5 min 2x a day. I have tried it and it works! Over the years I have brought my BP down by natural means if it crept up. I intend to keep doing the deep breathing as it also generally lowers stress. Seems likely that your sudden increase is due to stress of some kind even if you aren't feeling it right now. You have a lot going on in your life. Stay well!!!

need - I'm 85 and still driving but quite ready stop if need be. Here we have to pass a medical test every two years over 80 to renew our driving licenses. Your cousin sounds like she is a very active lady!
(4)

Golden that you! I have found it funny that if between tests I imagine my puppy,, and smile! My BP went down 30 pts this morning between tests when I did this. Today I felt off again all day, but I did get some things done! I'm hanging in there!
(4)

pamz - that's awesome!!! Puppies are much better than pills!!! Keep it up!
(5)

NHWM. I have a small chest with many drawers filled with beads. I think I will let my children deal with it. There are 3 of them. My husband and I are both only children and both our mothers put us through the wringer with their homes full of stuff. Took us a long time to clear it all out. We also had to travel to do it and as we were working and raising our kids when we had to do it for MIL it took longer and was physically and emotionally exhausting. Our children never have to do that as we have weeded and sorted for years. We have retired and everything is contained in one place and in order.
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter