Follow
Read More
Pam, oh those crazy spam calls. Same Caller ID number first thing in the morning, we never answer.

I wouldn't disconnect the land line. If one calls 911, your home address immediately shows up on the Dispatcher's screen. That's important in case one is unable to talk due to a stroke, etc. Plus your Aunt would know how to dial 911 on the landline.

Imagine going into someone's home, there is no landline, and you don't have your cellphone and that person has a medical emergency. You can't find that person's cellphone. If you do find the cellphone, you find you need a password to get into it. Now what? So important to keep that landline. Even if I had a cellphone, I would be stumbling around trying to remember their address.

What I like keeping the landline, I never misplace the phone... with the cord you can only go so far with the phone :) We have landline phones with Caller ID screens in every room. The reception is soooo much better than a cellphone. I notice hubby tends to yell into his cellphone [embarrassing when we are out shopping and his cell rings], but he is very soft voice on the landline.
(3)

I've considered giving up my landline but there are still some areas in rural Maine that don't have cell service. I like my land line with caller ID.
(2)

Everyone should check to see if your local police or sheriff have a notification system. Here we have a system called Code Red that sends out all sorts of notifications. One of the problems with people getting out of the way of the Marshall fire was many people had not signed up for the warning system which is free.
(5)

I missed Jeff Beck. Yes, sad that David Crosby died.
(2)

Last night I was determined to find a way to focus my mind after going sleepless the night before so I plotted a map of the American states in my head. I readily admit that I've forgotten most of my geography lessons but when I checked this morning I did better than I expected although I did muddle up those little New England states, put Georgia above the Carolinas and New Mexico west of Arizona, plus I totally left out Montana, Iowa, Pennsylvania and Arkansas. The point is it worked very well as a way to fall asleep 😴
(9)

Good one Willie. I hate to admit it but I couldn't put a map together in my head about Canada let alone the states. Never my best subject in school. DH used to quiz me about things like this when we'd go on long road trips just to make the time pass faster. I failed quite miserably when it came to that topic.

I've been really trying hard to not dwell on the past and think about those people or things that have bothered me. (at least not at bedtime) I find that helps me sleep better.
(5)

When it comes to falling asleep, the TV is my best friend. Any educational TV show, such as "How is the Made" or "Engineering Catastrophes" will have me dozing off rather quickly. Love the British show "Inside the Factory", so I try to stay awake for that, love to see how different foods are made.
(8)

🥰 words of wisdom...

“If you wish to glimpse inside a human soul and get to know the man, don’t bother analyzing his ways of being silent, of talking, of weeping, or seeing how much he is moved by noble ideas; you’ll get better results if you just watch him laugh. If he laughs well, he’s a good man… All I claim to know is that laughter is the most reliable gauge of human nature.”
(2)

🥰 rip...

"Why should we only
'Rest in Peace'?
Why don't we live in
peace too?"
(4)

Sister's MIL nearly got the family caught up in the grandparent's scam! Apparently she spent enough time on the phone with these people that she told them the names and occupations of everybody and then provided the number for one of the other family members as a contact because she wasn't able to sent any money herself. They immediately contacted him and although he was suspicious about the call thanks to MIL they had the answers to all his questions, so he contacted his bank to send money... fortunately he had second thoughts and was able to cancel the money transfer before it went through. These people are slick!!
(6)

Oh wow, Cwillie.
I don't think anyone has ever considered that an address book, or contact list could be dangerous in the hands of an elder who may be declining.

Before learning about narcissists on this forum, I never understood that a narc family member could actually do things to destroy another person, on purpose.

Imagine if a family member uses your name to make an accident report to an insurance company, to save themselves an increase in fees!

Reminders to caregivers to obtain your own credit profile free, yearly. From all 3 Nationwide Credit Bureaus. (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion), in the U.S.

Experian Credit Freeze
1-888-EXPERIAN (1-888-397-3742)
Experian Security Freeze
P.O. Box 9554
Allen, TX 75013
You can find a complete list of information/documentation that must be submitted with your written request at Experian.com.
Equifax Credit Freeze
1-888-EQUIFAX (1-888-378-4329)
1-800-349-9960 (automated line)
Equifax Information Services LLC
P.O. Box 105788
Atlanta, GA 30348-5788
When submitting a request by mail, you’ll need to fill out an Equifax Security Freeze Request Form and include copies of proof of identity and proof of address documentation.
TransUnion Credit Freeze
1-888-909-8872
TransUnion
P.O. Box 160
Woodlyn, PA 19094
Written requests should include your name, address and Social Security number as well as a six-digit PIN to associate with your TransUnion freeze.
(4)

Heck Send! Some.parents use their children's information and destroy it because their own is already destroyed!
(1)

Had an awesome nap today. I actually went up to bed. Usually I nap on the sofa. It was a really refreshing sleep, then Rocky and I had a good cuddle and I got up and cleaned a bathroom. I did the small one upstairs for the last time the other day and will not use it any more This was the main one which I use, of course, With just me here nothing gets very dirty, but it is nice to freshen it up.

Apparently naps improve your memory and decrease the chance of you having a heart attack. Works for me!!!

I am finding it hard to keep motivated to clear out the last things with not being sure when the condo flooring and the repairs here will be finished. We have had so many obstacles along the way. But I move on, albeit slowly. Sil and dgs took another batch to the Thrift shop for me the other day and I am still gathering more. The longer this takes the more I get rid of which is good.
(4)

Naps are good Golden. I have a hard time napping. I either just lay there pondering my life or go into such a deep sleep I might as well just go to bed for the night. I envy those who can cause it does refresh you.

I just completed my physio exercises for my foot. There's 11 of them. Not just foot stretching but hip abductor exercises and calf lifts etc. The calf lifts are a killer. Those muscles in my foot have been dormant for so long now that I really feel these. I would never have even attempted these a few short weeks ago but I think I'm okay to do them now. My physio guy seems really good. He notices every little movement I do and sees every little wince. I think I can trust him.

Here's praying I'll be good to walk again soon. The physio guy says no extra walking allowed except what I need to do in daily life like going to the kitchen from the bathroom etc. He says my goal should be to get my strength and range of motion back first.
(7)

I'm a napper from a way back, gershun and sleep heavy for a while. When the kids were little and napped, I did too.

Good for you for doing your exercises faithfully. Sounds like you have a great physio guy. I think you can trust him too. He sounds like he knows what he is doing. You are making good progress. Well done!!! You are sounding encouraged.

Now be sure you build your bones up with calcium and protein so it doesn't happen again. I keep track of how much protein I eat a day to be sure I get enough as I know seniors tend not to.
(2)

I am a napper too. Though I usually don't nap much, Maybe 15 minutes. I started when DD2 was a colicy baby. OMG I wasn't sure I would live through that. She did love the theme song from Mash!😏😏 I always lie down in my bed, sometimes will read, but reading nearly always puts me to sleep unless I am reading something I am really enjoying. Reading AC when lying down almost always puts me to sleep.😉😉

I have been having a lot of pain in my A**! I think it is my glutius medius. I have found some stretches online, I do them and just do not feel them maybe the more I do them I will loosen up so I will feel them more?
(2)

I can never nap unless I'm sick.
(4)

Golden I am feeling encouraged. I was really scared for a while there and I still have a ways to go before I can walk without a limp but I hope I'll get there with a bit of work on my part. It could be so much worse.

Oh yes, and I am trying to get more calcium and protein. You gave good advice on that.
(4)

Cats make napping look so easy. Oh how I wish I could curl up in a wing back chair on my back, with my arms over my head. Purring =^..^=
(9)

FF, my very large German Shepherd lays on our bed on his back with all 4 paws skyward. He is the picture of chilling.

If you walk in the room he opens one eye and gives you a look of irritation because you disturbed him.

Pets have such great personalities.
(8)

Priscilla and Lisa Marie, I saw that coming!
(1)

Glad,

So sad that Lisa Marie died so young in life. I feel bad for her family, especially her children. It’s sad for her mom too.

Did you see her interview for the last award show? I saw it flipping through the channels. She looked extremely thin and fragile.

Not criticizing her. I’m naturally thin.

I think she was purposely dieting and some people lose weight too fast instead of 1 or 2 lbs a week like people are supposed to do.

A lot of people are using the diabetes drug, Ozempic to lose weight now. My nurse says that she lost 50 lbs on it without even trying.
(1)

NHWM, Lisa Marie had again become addicted to opiates and lost 50-60 pounds in the month before the reward show! She did not look at all well!
(6)

Glad,

I knew that she struggled with addiction. She spoke about her struggles in the past. It’s tough.

I grew up with an addict. My brother who is now deceased, would get clean, then relapse, over and over. His lifestyle finally caught up to him. It’s heartbreaking for a family.

How is that even possible to lose that much weight in a month? That’s wild.
(2)

A much needed hair cut today at my local salon - could actually walk there, but have to cross a busy road where idiots drive.
(7)

That make me think of Not Just Bikes, a favourite Vlog on YouTube

Crossing the Street Shouldn't Be Deadly (but it is)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ByEBjf9ktY
(2)

CW, how in the world did you ever find that video?! I actually watched the entire thing and is right up my career alley. To say nothing of I have been hit by cars twice in my life. I found the continuous sidewalk to be a very reasonable solution to put to use in this country. I wonder if our traffic engineers learn about these in this country. Interestingly enough, just yesterday, the City of Denver got rid of fines for jaywalking and it is no longer against the law. Wonder if they saw this video.😊😊

This is a link to one of my favorite stories to share. An 11 year old autistic piano prodigy!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n_408mkdpX0
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UNaUa8msohw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ftu6SJGc_kE
(1)

I'm not sure how I was first introduced to Not Just Bikes, maybe reddit?🤔
I think his other videos are great too, they are easy to follow and have really made me stop and think the way we do things!
(1)

I remember being amazed when we moved to Alberta - cars actually stopped for pedestrians. They are very polite here. In Montreal you had to watch out for yourself even if you were on the sidewalk near the curb. Crossing the street was a matter of looking both ways, waiting for a lull in the traffic and dashing across as fast as you could even when the light was in your favour. There was some control at lights but you still had to be very careful. In Alberta people don't jaywalk. I remember being in London UK with dd near the palace and trying to cross the street. Finally we saw a break in the traffic and we ran. She laughed. She said she had never seen me run before.
(3)

We don't have laws against jaywalking in Canada but we've been so heavily influenced by American media that many of us we think we do.
When I made a cross country tour with some friends back in the 80's I remember being surprised that people "out west" stopped for us ... I was also astonished that people hauling slow moving trailers often pulled over to let traffic go by!
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter