Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Gershun, where is your break?

I rolled my foot hiking which sprained the ligaments in the side of my foot. Then my 4th metatarsal broke when I took a puck off my skate. I wore a short walking boot for the usual 6-8 week (was maybe 5 years ago - I forget) and was told to be reasonable with my level of activity and elevate my foot. The area still ached occasionally for about a year. The ortho advised me to wear hiking boots laced snugly with full ankle support so I wouldn’t roll my foot again as some laxity would leave it susceptible to re-injury. Consider avoiding flexible shoes that don’t support your foot well for a while after you’ve given the boot the boot. Good luck healing!
(3)

Willie, we do vitamin C bombs when we feel the creepy cruds coming on. Like 10,000 mg daily.

Hope you beat it before it takes hold.
(4)

gershun - I hope you find it is improving. Would not be surprised if it doesn't feel right for a while yet. The toes I hurt about the same time are only now starting to look and feel normal and they weren't broken.

cw - story of my life with my allergies. I agree with zinc and vit C, and hot lemon, netipots and whatever you can think of. Xlear nasal spray helps too. What about gargling to clear up your throat?
(2)

CW, Last time I felt something like that coming on, I drank 4 EmergenC's in one day. Gave me D, but, the virus never took hold.

As I read instructions on EmergenC later, you are only to take one in a day.
(1)

Willie, we use a product called Vick's Early Defense. It's a nasal spray and it seemed to have helped my hubs avoid a cold when he felt one coming on.

Thx everyone for all your support. I've never endured something that set me back so much as this fracture. Maybe it's my age. 61 isn't ancient but old enough I guess. I told hubs that Christmas is gonna be a slow one this year. I'm not moving fast for anything or anybody. No family get togethers to endure this year at least.
(4)

Glad, I often take more then 1 EmergenC if I am feeling off. It increases your matabolism and high doses of vitamin C flush your system. I think it's kinda the point, round those little buggers up and run them out, literally :-)

Our gut has so very much to do with our immune system and getting everything out can only help things reset. IMO
(4)

Polar,

Just saw your message.

It wasn’t the last time it snowed here but it was the heaviest amount of snow that I have ever seen. Of course, compared to other places it wasn’t a lot of snow, but it was enough for us to build a snowman!

I’m glad that my dad didn’t listen to my mom about it being too cold for us to go out and play.

We bundled up and had a blast playing in the snow.

It rarely snows here. Even if there are only a few flurries we are amazed by it. The city shuts down because we don’t know how to drive in the snow. LOL 😆

Rain, that’s a different story. We get a fair amount of rainfall.

My favorite weather by far is California weather! Every time I visited there I fell in love with the weather and hated to come home to our humidity!
(2)

Gershun and Anna,

Foot injuries or leg injuries are the worst! I had a tough time with my arm injury but I think people who have foot or leg injuries have it worse.

A woman that did physical therapy with me was struggling to do her exercises. She said that her doctor had her do surgery on both knees at the same time because he feared that she wouldn’t return after she did the first surgery. I felt really bad for her.

My husband has dealt with shoulder surgery on both shoulders. That’s painful too.

Hope you feel better soon, Gershun.
(2)

cw,

I feel like a total klutz when I use my neti pot. I spill it all over me. 😆

I have awful allergies but rarely get colds. Hope you feel better soon.

I have to have my hot tea when I feel funky. I think it goes back to my childhood. My mother always made hot tea for us when we were sick.
(2)

I have only used the squirt bottle for saline rinse. I thought the neti pot would be too hard to use. The squirt bottle works great for me.
(1)

I have the squirt bottle too. Much easier for me!
(0)

When my mom was in the nursing home for rehab, they had a large room where they could gather to watch television.

The television always seemed to be on Family Feud. Some of the questions and answers on that show are crazy.

I was watching it a little while ago and the question was, “What place do you hate to go but it would be more tolerable if you smoked pot first?” They had various answers and then the family playing said, “Church, Steve.” LOL 😆 Steve Harvey said, “You can’t say that!” Guess what? Yep, sure enough ‘church’ was on the board!

I wonder what some of the older people think about some of those questions and answers on Family Feud.

I saw some funny sights in the nursing home in the television viewing room.

These two older ladies were seated next to each other and one of them was bugging the other one and one of the old ladies turned to me and said, “Honey, could you please push my wheelchair far away from her because she is driving me nuts! LOL

So, I pushed her to the opposite side of the room. I felt like I was separating two children!

It reminded me of when my mom would sit in between my brother and I if we began to act up in church! My mom solved that issue!
(6)

I woke up no worse, so that's a plus. Of course everything in my cupboards is there from the last time I got sick so it's all a few years past expiry date but I'll take it anyway if I really need it🤷‍♀️.
The cold arrived here sometime over night and the wind is really scouring my street, no doubt it's nasty as heck out of town. Fingers crossed that the dire predictions of snowfall amounts don't pan out.
(6)

Sister called me to whine about having trouble getting into work, aside from the insanity of travelling on the roads apparently her defroster isn't working. I've tried to convince her that work is not a priority - she's over 70, doesn't need the money (and it's only minimum wage at that 🙄) and there are managers that live in the city who can earn their pay by stepping up. But they've been calling her and the need to comply is strong.
(3)

cwillie, I had a boss like that... apparently I was the glue that held the office together, and it sounds like what your sister is going through. I was also in my 70's.
(2)

cw - glad you are not worse. I always reach for the Cold FX. It's great. Your sister should NOT be driving with a non functioning defroster!!! She's old enough to know better.
(3)

I painted my throat with peroxide, did the neti pot and drank some expired neo citran type medicine last night and other than that I've got one expired zinc lozenge. I plan to repeat all of that and push extra fluids today and hopefully that will do it!

I haven't heard from sister again so I suspect she's gone in. She has always been one of those people who puts in hours and hours of unpaid overtime because she can't leave a task undone. Not only is she ridiculously over committed she's so irrationally afraid to lose her job and be retired.
(5)

Either the wind changed direction or my chimes froze or broke, there's so much snow between the screen and glass I can't look out to check. It's hard enough to get real time news and weather on normal weekends but add a holiday and there's no hope except scrolling twitter. Looks like the snow zone north of me and along lake erie is still intense.... at least the temperatures are not too bad (-14°C)
(4)

CW, can't you access one of the location based online weather reports? Google Weather or The Weather Channel? Or a local news station?
(3)

There's always twitter Glad, all I need to do is scroll through the chaff.

And I'm a weather geek, I already have 11 weather URLs bookmarked (found a great new one just yesterday)🤣☃️
(3)

OMG, I had to dig my way out, the entire east side of my house is covered by 3 - 4 ft drifts... thank goodness I also have a sliding patio door. I had to tunnel to find my shovels!
(6)

Aaaand, digging snow round #2.
(3)

cw,

Geeeeeez! You are certainly up against the elements.

I can’t say that I feel your pain because I have never been in that situation but I have empathy for you.

I think that I would relax with a nice snifter of brandy afterwards! Or perhaps a glass of Pinot Noir. If not an alcoholic beverage, a hot cocoa or warm eggnog!

Merry White Christmas to you!
(1)

NHWM - I was going to go to the liquor store and reward myself with a nice bottle of Bailey's but my car is drifted in and I don't want to walk. 😭
(3)

cw,

Awwww, that is disappointing! Yep, Bailey’s works too. You deserve a bottle! What a workout you have had!

What about the construction work that they were doing on the curbs? Is that completed? I hope so.
(1)

CW, won't the liquor store deliver? Don't hesitate it is shaping up to be a long weekend.

Tell them it is an emergency and without Bailey-s you can't unfreeze your car locks!😁😁🍹🍹
(5)

Merry Christmas Eve to all! Enjoy today and Christmas tomorrow!

Those of you in colder climates, stay safe and warm during these bitter winter days!

Happy Holidays! 🍻🍹🍷🍸🍾🥂
(4)

Who Dat!!!

Yay!!! New Orleans Saints won their game against the Cleveland Browns in spite of the elements!

Geaux Saints!
(1)

Willie, I hear ya about the snow banks. We had to take our kitty to the vet yesterday and the parking lot was a mess there. And there I am with my boot and crutches. It took 10 min. for me to get from the car to the vet's office and we were parked right in front. My hubs was holding my arm tight too cause no more falls for this broad if I can help it.

Today, it's gone up 15 degrees from where it was. Everything is melting and it's like one big swimming pool everywhere now. Gotta love winter!

But hubs did manage to pick up a bottle of Bailey's for me. I'm not a drinker but Bailey's feels so good going down your throat. If I could I'd cyber send you a glass Willie.
(7)

Cold arriving in northern Maine tomorrow evening. But not as drastic as some areas. Merry Christmas!
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter