Follow

Hey folks, welcome to the new whine/general topic thread. Feel free to use this thread to discuss anything that is on your mind. Caregiving- related stuff, life after a loved one's death, your own emotional wellbeing. Whatever..........anything on your mind.

Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
I just read an article that says the side effects of the covid vaccine are fairly unpleasant. Maybe they shouldn't let that get out cause those who are on the fence about getting it will really not want to now.
(0)

My cats are definitely not aloof. I can't sit down anywhere before both my kitties take over my lap.

But I'm not complaining. 😊
(1)

Geeeeez,

The icicles stories are funny!

I don’t remember my cat eating any icicles.

My cat decided one day not to use the litter box. She preferred going outside.

I kept her litter box very clean but she started going to the bathroom in the yard and never returned to using a litter box.

I don’t remember seeing icicles in the yard. Maybe if they were there the birds stole them to help build their nests! Hahaha 🤣
(2)

Chris,

They are independent creatures, aren’t they. I happen to like their aloof attitude.

Some people think that cats aren’t affectionate. They are affectionate but only on their terms!
(2)

Needhelp, I am definitely the servant to my cats.
(2)

Chris,

My cat had a field day with the satin ornaments. She would lie on her back holding the satin balls between her paws and rip the satin balls to shreds. I had red satin thread everywhere!

Cats! You know what they say? We live with them, instead of them living with us.

She was feisty and playful until shortly before she died. It’s been many years since she died but I still miss her. She had such a cute personality.

The funniest memory I have of her is when I accidentally closed my sock drawer with her inside of it. Hahaha, she kept meowing and I couldn’t find her.

Finally, I looked in the sock drawer and she jumped out like a Jack in the Box!
(2)

Gershun, years ago my cat ate the icicles too and yes they made an appearance at the other end!! Gruesome. More recently I made the mistake of clipping some lovely glittery birds at the top of the Christmas tree. One evening I came home to find one of the cats had just about climbed to the top of the tree to get at them. He turned to see me and at that moment tree and cat toppled over. It was carnage with broken baubles everywhere. Being a typical cat he just gave me a "what?" look and sauntered off, leaving me with the cleaning up job. And yet I still love my cats dearly....
(1)

Our tree is artificial as well. White actually so it looks snowy. The cats like to sit under it.

I remember growing up our cats at the time used to eat the icicles. There they'd be walking around with icicles coming out of their butts.🙀

So no more icicles!
(3)

Golden,

My cat used to jump in the Christmas tree too. She had a blast shaking all of the ornaments off. I wasn’t thrilled about finding the mess that she created.

She was the sweetest cat. I miss her. She lived a long time, 16 years.

That’s when I started putting up an artificial tree too.

It was for the best anyway because real trees bother my allergies.
(2)

Can't have a decorated tree inside as the kitties wreak havoc with it. I have a small artificial one already decorated I may put up outside the bay window on the front deck on a table where they can't reach it, but it is too early here for that. Christmas will be quiet for me which is usual. I often go the dd's but will skip that this year due to covid and that's OK. Vaccines are coming!!!
(4)

I hear you Gershun. I know that our American friends are knee deep in Thanksgiving mode right now but for us the Christmas dysfunction is already in play, I know I dropped a couple of F bombs in a conversation about it yesterday 🤬😖
(3)

Well, I saw Halloween decorations, fall decorations are up. Some even started on Christmas decorations too.

I have eclectic taste but I am old fashioned with Christmas decorations. I absolutely detest those huge blow up characters! Who wants to see a Santa on steroids? LOL

I like white Christmas lights that look like twinkling stars. I like evergreen Christmas wreaths.

Since Mardi Gras is canceled to the COVID-19, there was a woman uptown who was sad and decided to decorate her house like a float!

It’s catching on in different neighborhoods and someone started a Facebook page.

New Orleans loves carnival season and the Mardi Gras spirit is still alive and going strong!

If Mardi Gras wasn’t canceled I would be on St. Charles Ave. and Napoleon to watch the Rex parade on Mardi Gras day.

Krewes spend tons of money on their throws. Some are going to do a ‘scavenger hunt’ where people can look for them. Others will stash them away for a future parade.
(3)

I'm wondering how Christmas is going to go this year. There are so many restrictions due to Covid that I doubt there will be any big family get together. For some reason in my mind that has always been Christmas to me. The "Get together" which I don't usually enjoy. In fact I tend to dread it and then feel depressed for days afterward.

So..........this year, I need to change my mindset. Christmas will be decorating the tree with hubs, keep shopping to a minimum and just try to keep in mind that there will be quite a few families this year with an empty space at their table where once a beloved person sat, so maybe let bygones be bygones and try to appreciate my family (faults and all). Easier said than done sometimes, but at least I'll try.
(5)

Cwillie, funny how the kindly old bearded man in his jolly red and white clothes brings out the inner child in you! Last night, for no obvious reason that I could explain, I found myself trawling through Amazon for outdoor Christmas decorations. Now I am a tasteful “front door wreath only” type of person. No inflatable weird Santas, flashing chaser strobe lights, “Santa Stop Here” things for me. But after the year we’ve all been having, I thought that maybe it wouldn’t be so bad if I put up a little something that might bring a bit of happiness to the children in our neighbourhood, or lift the spirits of some of the elderly people who have spent most of this year on their own. This seemed important given that our traditional village rituals of getting together to switch on the Christmas Tree lights, going to the Carol Service and enjoying the crazy village Pantomime have all been cancelled due to Covid. I settled on a small wall mounted reindeer in tasteful warm white lights, which won’t flash or make any noise. I remembered the excitement of the Christmas lights when I was a child, and thought that this year I should be a bit less Bah Humbug and instead try to spread a little happiness!
(4)

He came! He came! I just saw Santa!🎅🦌🛷

Ah...uhm.....I mean, uh..... Bah Humbug!
(4)

Just found out that today, Saturday, is World Hello Day.

Had no idea when I woke up this morning, spreading Good Mornings to everyone on the Whine thread. This must be just another coincidence in my life.

Hello! everyone!

Avatar : JOY....Just joking, CWillie, JOY is last year's decorations, and we would not add music.
I still think that waiting to decorate for Christmas could be better appreciated if people could WAIT, until at least AFTER Thanksgiving. There are some lighted and flashing decorations in our neighborhood that only offer temptations.
Temptations to give out those addresses to vandals. (Just joking). Nah, no, not that. Maybe people are just trying to get this year over sooner by decorating sooner and sooner?
(2)

And now my across the road neighbours have spent the afternoon getting their lovely, ever increasing in size musical Christmas display up and running. Oh joy.
(4)

I just found out that apparently Santa is coming to my town this afternoon/evening ... as near as I can tell they are having a mini parade winding through the town in a harebrained scheme that will bring the parade to the people rather than the other way around.
(3)

Good, Send.

Hi, Ms. Madge.
(1)

I found Ms. Madge!

Scroll up where you can choose "Newest first" or "Oldest first".

Click on "Oldest first", and there she is!
(2)

Late Night movie was okay. Not bad, not great.
(0)

Blow The Man Down has a very interesting ending! Good movie. Just finished watching it.
(0)

Has anyone seen Late Night or Blow The Man Down movies on Amazon? Guess I will pick one to watch this evening.
(0)

What time is it, really?
😂🤣🤣🤣🤣
(0)

Happy Birthday to some of my favorite people born in November!
👻💐🎂🍰🍨
(0)

Tonight,along with a full moon on Halloween,we have to set our clocks back an hour.
I don't like Daylight Savings time,but it is nice getting to sleep in alittle longer~
(3)

I am watching a ‘Bewitched’ marathon on television for Halloween.

I have a confession to make. As a kid I used to try to twitch my nose to do magic! Hahaha 😂.

I also wanted my own Genie. I used to watch ‘I Dream of Jeannie.’ Both were cute shows.
(3)

Boo!
(1)

BOO!
(1)

Mother and I used to start Halloween Day making cupcakes to hand out that night.
Mother made chili bean casserole and jello in the shape of pumpkins every year too and our house was covered in decorations.
Mother was always a "Crazy Lady" or 'Lady GaGa" and I was always a rabbit every Halloween and
We usually had over 75 to 100 trick or treaters and so much fun.
This year the lights are off.Covid's here and Mother's gone.
It's my 5th Halloween without my sweet monster,Mother.
(6)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter