Follow
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
My mother needed so many lift assists, they stopped coming out. My Dad was calling 5-6 times a week. He didn't want to get a carer nor did he want to place her in a facility, where she belonged. They did charge him in the beginning, but when they started coming out twice per day, they said "find somewhere else because we can't continue to come this frequently" I don't think there is an issue with charging. It is expensive to get them there, and if someone is having frequent falls, they need more help than just a lift assist.
(1)

I don't recall if a fee was involved, but I do know of a case in my area where husband frequently fell and EMTs did eventually balk at being called to the same address for the same person for the same reason with (increasing?) frequency. It was suggested that husband be placed in a facility and wife did agree to it. I have a feeling there was a lot more to it than just the falls. I think hubby's care exceeded what wife could do and the falls were just what those outside the home knew about.
(0)

This was definitely the case in rural Maine, where my parents used to live. Dad was the caregiver for Mom (she passed in 2017) but was unable to lift her because of her size. If she fell, he'd have to call 911 — and it was just the local guys from their tiny town. The guys themself were always nice, but there would be a bill if it was just for the lift, and not because she needed to go to the hospital.
(3)

In the town where I lived there was a $15.00 per month added onto each water/trash bill that went toward EMT costs. I you have a lift assist EMT's send out a notice and donation envelop. It's voluntary to pay, but most people realize the value and donate something. Once a year there is a fundraising drive. Donating to the EMT service is cheaper than calling the private ambulance service.
(2)

Well if this is really going to be the case, they are not going to get a dime out of those with low income/social security earnings only. Those seniors who live in rent-controlled apartments and live off of SS and QMB Medicaid have nothing to worry about.
(0)

Here in central Pa., there wasn't a charge for a lift assistance for my husband a few years ago. Nice group came over, chatting, shootin' the breeze, checked his vitals and were on their merry way. Glad to know such nice proffessionals are here.

Oh and another time needed the fire department to help extricate our cat Gracie, who had wedged herself into a very, very tight spot in the basement of this old house. They had the tools to remove a few bricks, and expertise to pry her out. I wrote a check as a donation, since they weren't going to charge us anything for helping us. Otherwise, per an earlier post, when there's plumbing problems here...I call the plumber! : )
(1)

Some of you are reporting the above post as a troll. It may or may not be.
I don't think it is. Think it may have been worded better, though. It's not necessarily related to *abuse* of the system. Fees/charges can happen on the first call in some areas.

Most of you, maybe 99%? live where fees like this will never happen.
Count your blessings.

Some of us - on the other hand, unfortunately live in areas in the USA where Medics DO charge high fees for lift assists, and also for calls in which the patient declines transport.

For example, where we live - the fee for an ambulance that is dispatched, and cancelled after making contact with a patient who refuses care has gone up to $300.00 this year per incident. Even if it is the very first time you called 911 in your life. If you choose to decline the services - you are billed. And insurance will not pay.

The cost of a simple lift and assist (not for repeat people, either) this will happen on your first call - is presently $175 this year. Insurance will not pay, either.

Don't know if this will be a trend. I hope not. But, it makes life much harder on us Caregivers.

I used to live in a city where we had to pay a fee each year, or else any call involving medics/fire department resulted in very large bills. We happily paid the fee each year, and we never once had to use their services back then. I think that is an excellent solution to paying higher fees for service.

Editing to add: That if the OP means the charges are a punishment for 911 *abuse*, that is not how it works. Legally. However, some agencies are indeed charging high amounts for services that are cancelled and lift assists.
(4)

True or not I can see this happening especially with those Firehouses that fireman, EMTs and Paramedics are paid salaries. If someone is a constant fall risk they should be living in a care facility where there is staff that can help them up. Some fall because they are too stubborn to use a walker. My Firehouse is in a town of 13k and is voluntary. I am sure they have helped in getting people up. But I have also heard after a number of times it is suggested maybe the person should be in some kind of care.
(4)

Yeah, not true. Or at least they won't get away with it. If somebody is on the ground and can't get up and no one else can get them up either, what do you think should be done?
(0)

Barb, I agree. There's absolutely no information to elaborate on this claim, nor has the OP provided any information on his/her alleged qualifications as a paramedic.

I reported your post as well, and am reporting mine.
(0)

Reporting my post because this appears to be a troll.
(0)

Where are you sourcing this info?
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter