Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Shilo get your mum a huge tv bigger than yours! Gosh i dont have a tv in my room but the thoughts of her popping in to watch my tv would be the end.
(3)

I set the MLB (major league baseball) game on my mother's computer everyday in her room for her and I watch it on my TV in my room. One day she came to my door and asked me to get the game back on her screen...it goes out once in a while. She noticed I was watching on my TV. She sat down on the side of my bed and said "Oh, you have a nice big screen and I can see all the players." I came back into my room after resetting the ball game on her computer. She said, "Will you buy me a nice big TV like yours or you can just give me yours?!" Ah...no you can not have my TV. She said "Then I will just have to watch TV in your room and bug you to death."

Since then she has asked me everyday if she can have my nice big TV...then she laughs so hard it hurt her stomach.
(7)

LOL. Thanks for the laughs. It's good to be able to come into this thread to get or share a chuckle!
(3)

My dad (with advanced Alzheimer's) just told me, "I think you're a little crazy. I just need to make a little drill into the side of your head to release pressure and I think that will help a bit."
(5)

A few years back, when my grandfathers were still alive, my mother made the comment to me after one of their visits, "One thing I will always be thankful for is that I'll never be an old man." Now that Dad is old and my parents live in a retirement home, whenever my mother gets down, I remind my mother of what she once said and we laugh until our stomachs ache and we cry.
(4)

We're sitting here right now listening to Tune in radio on my laptop 40's radio.

Mom was telling me how she would waltz with her head on a fellows shoulder and she said "It's a wonder that we didn't get in more trouble, that he would get all worked up and not be able to go home"! HA I guess she means his parents won't let him in the house with a " woody"!!! Lol
(3)

Mom has problems with her memory. She was writing down which book she'd just read, a habit she's had for many years. Midway through taking her note, she stopped and grumped a bit about how it's probably pointless - that she'll probably forget all about this book, anyway.

My response, as a joke, was to point out that she should look on the bright side - if she totally loses her memory, she'll only never need the one book. She glared at me and and I told her that, if she thought hard about it, there could be other good benefits to total memory loss.

She then suddenly looked a bit smug and said, "You know, I think I have finally lost my memory, completely. I just don't remember having any ice cream, today," and we had actually just finished having ice cream.

Maybe it's a you-had-to-be-there moment, but it was kind of funny.
(8)

"why am i going to see a neurologist tomorrow my brain dosnt need help". Oh dear she has no idea she is seeing a "shrink"?
(1)

As we go down the ramp this AM to the foot doctor she is moaning and groaning about how much agony her back is in and without missing a beat "and I also need to go get my hair done". Obviously not hurting that much but to hear her she is on death's door but gonna get her hair done.
(4)

AmyGrace, since your mom doesn't do much laughing or have a sense of humor, there is a thread/discussion that you might find interesting.

https://www.agingcare.com/discussions/you-know-you-are-caregiver-if-163390.htm
(1)

Mom and I went to the grocery store, yesterday. She usually has no energy when we're done but, yesterday, instead of going to wait for me on the bench in front, stayed with me at the self checkout to help me bag and such.

I got to the end of scanning and bagging and trying to pay, but the system is griping at me about something or another. I looked over and Mom was putting the bags in the cart and it apparently wasn't ready, so I explained it and put them back.

Went back to try to put in my credit card when the system started to gripe, again. Mom just couldn't wait and she was kind of inching one of the bags off.

We had the same discussion. I went back to put my credit card in and she started asking me, "Can I do it, now?" "Nope," I said, but she was inching it, again. It went back-and-forth with "Can I do it, now?" "Nope" and me reaching over to shove the bag back on the scale.

This went back-and-forth for a bit - good thing no-one was behind us.

Yesterday, I was getting somewhat impatient about it but, today, can laugh.
(4)

Reading some of your answers made me happy for you, sad for me though. You are all are so lucky to have a mom with a sense of humor, someone who laughs and kids around and has a sense of humor. My mother never did and I can't remember her ever letting herself fully enjoy anything with abandon. Now she is almost 100 and sadly she has spent most of it being uptight. The only time I can remember her laughing hard is over 30 years ago. My daughters and I went with my mother to Disney World. My oldest daughter, about 12, shared a bed with her in the motel. Mom farted and my daughter started groaning "oh Nan!" and my mother laughed and laughed!
(3)

My dad has been mentioning craving ice cream for weeks now. I hesitated to buy it since it costs like $8.00. 2 nights ago, I finally caved in. So, after work, I bought 2 boxes of ice cream. One for me - coffee with nuts. I've tried other flavors for dad. I finally found one that he might love. Tillamook Banana Split (mainly vanilla and strawberry flavor with banana, walnuts, fudge and cherries.)

I prepared his ice cream in a bowl. Drizzled some chocolate fudge on it, mixed it up then gave him. As he was eating it, he kept humming with appreciation. Hours afterwards, he kept saying, "That ice cream is good! Do we still have more?"
(8)

I may have said this previously.
Mother asked me why I didn't go to college on the GI bill. I told her that I wasn't military. She asked my why I didn't enlist? I said "During Viet Nam?" !!
(0)

"what have you got to be stressed about" yep this will be THE funniest thing she will ever say to me!
(3)

Often after mom is down for the night, we go get a bite to eat. Last night mom said after she had on her nightgown, I would really like to have an evening gown to wear to bed. I asked why? She said "So when you go out, I could wake up and go with you." Busted!
(5)

Monday night my dad comes up the steps from family room and asks when is supper. I reply in about 30 minutes as Hubby will be home. Dad shakes his head and says "again" in a different tone of voice. Guess you had to be there!
(2)

It's after dinner and I'm using the laptop. In the middle of my typing, my father politely asked me, "When you have time, can you please give me one gum?" I said, "okay." I continued typing for another 20 minutes. I completely forgot his request.

I see in my peripheral vision, he's searching all over the bed and end table. He finally asked me, "Did you give me gum? I cannot find it."

Ooops! I forgot!
(2)

My 80-year-old MIL had an idea while my husband and I were driving her to visit our son, who lives in the Midwest. We passed several hotels on the highway: Marriott, Radisson, Day's Inn and the like, and MIL decided there should be a new kind of hotel, one called the Sex Hotel.
"People could go there and have sex," she said brightly.
The Sex Hotel. I crack up whenever I think about it.
(6)

I was driving my mother home from an outing one day and I told her that I was going to get my daughter something from Taco Bell. I asked mom if she wanted anything and she wanted to know what my daughter was going to get. I told her I was getting her a Mexican pizza. Mom replied " Mexicans don't eat pizza, just get me a Pepsi"
(5)

Oh my gosh, Ladee C! Too funny!
(0)

I'm sitting here, rolling with silent laughter .. silent because roomy is on the other side of the wall, sleeping and I don't want to wake her.

My contribution: Edna's right side was badly effected from her stroke and both arm and leg become rigid without imposed movement. She almost always wakes up and as I slowly get it moving, she quips, "Stiff as a peter, huh?" and thus begins the laughter .. and the peeing. And more laughter. And more pee. At least I know she's emptying her bladder.
(5)

The other night, Mom and I were watching the movie "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" with Steve Martin & John Candy. If you've seen that movie, you know all about the scene at the rental car counter and the language involved. Mom sat there and giggled like a schoolgirl at the F-word filled tirade that Steve Martin spewed at the rental car employee at the counter....and then when the employee replied to him in kind, Mom actually repeated it, word for word - I've *NEVER* heard her say that word in my life! I had to just sit here and laugh at her.
(8)

while visiting at one of my SIL's my dad had a beer and when my BIL asked later if he would like another dad replied No thanks I'm driving! He hasn't driven in about 18 months.
(5)

Its Saturday, the day I spend with dad at the ALF. he's been fight a cold and had toilet paper setting on the kitchen table. He said, as I replaced the toilet papers with a box of tissues, "thanks, its been pretty hard remembering to take those to the bathroom for the other end."
(7)

It's Sunday, and it's the only day when I make actual hot coffee. The rest of the week is a small can of Iced coffee. I just brought it in the livingroom so that I can continue to use the computer.

Bedridden dad exclaimed, "Something's burning! I better get ready to run!"
(6)

Just had to share - we were all watching TV the other day when a little person came onscreen. My mom (who has dementia) pipes up and says, "I know that guy! He played one of the Munchkins on the Wizard of Oz!" Well, this actor wasn't even BORN when The Wizard of Oz was produced, so my husband and I just exchanged knowing looks. And then my mom finishes the conversation with, "And he hasn't grown one bit!" (Yup, we lost it.....!)
(10)

We took mom to Gibbs Gardens today and she did well and we were going back to the our gold Sport Trac and it was sitting next to a red Camry. She got happy and said "I am so glad you got a nice red car."! I said mom this is our truck and she said 'That's too bad, you need a nice red car!" My husband and I just laughed and laughed.
(7)

My mother has always gotten mixed up about product names and even words - the other day she wanted some Sunoco. I said ' you don't drive, why would you need gas?'
She said 'I don't want gas - I'm constipated again.' ( She meant the Sennokot laxative)
And then there was the time she told a man that she didn't like him 'acting so impotent.' (!)
(10)

LadeeM - that was my *first* thought! LOL I thought maybe you made a little fluffy or something and she was calling you out on it!

Aw, Jeanette - those are the comments that *almost* make everything worthwhile and give us the strength to keep going some days. Sounds odd, but just someone acknowledging how difficult they're being to care for...that just helps some, doesn't it?
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter