Follow

Then Job's wife said to him, “Do you still persist in your integrity? Curse God, and die.” Job 2:9

Later, Job says "Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him." Job 13:15

Or Tevye in "Fiddler on the Roof:" "Would it have ruined some great eternal plan if..."

Or us: "Why me?"

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
You might be interested to read this article on Job, a great and thought provoking book. https://www.abc.net.au/religion/philosophical-reading-of-the-book-of-job/11054038
(0)

Interesting read. And engravings by one of my favorite poets William Blake.

My understanding of the book is that Job, after his complaining "why me?" is confronted by God who tells him "I am so big and you are so small that even if explained things to you, you wouldn't be able to understand. Suck it up and drive on. But there ARE reasons." For some reason or other this comforts me. I don't know the reason my wife has MSA, why she had cancer and open heart surgery, why my daughter was gang raped, why my son died of AIDS, why I and my two sons are recovering alcoholics, why I have had two heart attacks. But I know there exist reasons, even if I cannot know or understand them.

I know that my redeemer liveth. Job again.

Forgive my preachiness. But it does help me.

Now anyway.

Let's see what happens as the MSA progresses. Perhaps I will take Job's wife's suggestion and curse God and want to die.

I'm not always so cheery!

BTW just read your bio. We seem to be in similar clubs. High admission, expensive dues.

TYVM for your comments and bravery in sharing your life's story.
(0)

Interesting read. And engravings by one of my favorite poets William Blake.

My understanding of the book is that Job, after his complaining "why me?" is confronted by God who tells him "I am so big and you are so small that even if explained things to you, you wouldn't be able to understand. Suck it up and drive on. But there ARE reasons." For some reason or other this comforts me. I don't know the reason my wife has MSA, why she had cancer and open heart surgery, why my daughter was gang raped, why my son died of AIDS, why I and my two sons are recovering alcoholics, why I have had two heart attacks. But I know there exist reasons, even if I cannot know or understand them.

I know that my redeemer liveth. Job again.

Forgive my preachiness. But it does help me.

Now anyway.

Let's see what happens as the MSA progresses. Perhaps I will take Job's wife's suggestion and curse God and want to die.

I'm not always so cheery!

BTW just read your bio. We seem to be in similar clubs. High admission, expensive dues.

TYVM for your comments and bravery in sharing your life's story.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter