Follow

FDA will make a decision whether or not to approve this drug this coming Monday. We are often asked about drugs that might slow or cure Alzheimers. In this country we are paying billions yearly for drugs that have no proven efficacy.
Just be aware, more are on their way, and again, no proof they do anything. It is an individual decision whether or not to be "sold" these drugs. Our MDs are often given as much as 6% of the cost of prescriptions to prescribe a particular drug. Just do be aware and do your own research.

ihttps://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/05/31/new-alzheimers-drug/

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
There was a discussion on Abucanumab this a.m. on NPR Morning edition if you would like to access the program online (Friday June 4)
(0)

Aducanumab has an interesting history. Biogen, the developer of aducanumab, went as far as phase three trials before pulling it out of the trials because they said it didn't meet the efficacy they were looking for. Then later in 2019, they reversed course and said they would submit it for FDA approval. The new approval request was based on a higher dosage of the drug. If approved, it would be the first FDA app'd drug in almost 20 yrs. Myself, I think it's another Aricept, Namanda type drug that may work for some, but not have any benefit for most. Aducanumab is directed at the theory, and it is theory, that beta amyloid and tau proteins are the culprits behind AD. What about those AD patients who have no significant signs of either protein and still die of AD? The 1999 Nurses study is a good reference. The fact that we have no effective treatment for AD is that there's no universal agreement on its cause. There are many risk factors for AD, including the greatest... age. Maybe a pill that stops aging would work!
(1)

Thanks for that extra info Sjplegacy. Yes, that is how I understand it. And of course the drug labs are saying there will be more to come after they get this one through. It is difficult to say what is "working" in slowing the progression when you cannot know how it will progress WITHOUT the drugs. The progression in dementia is as individual as our own thumb prints. I just resent the amounts of money spent with little or no efficacy, and people accepting their doctor's recommendations without research and investigation. I think drugs work well, or sometimes well for SYMPTOM, but people are somehow under the impression often enough that they work to cure or stop progression, which is just entirely without proof.
(1)

Alva,

I didn’t hear that specific program on NPR but I am a regular listener of that station. Lots of good segments on health on NPR. I do wonder about treatments or ways to prevent dementia/ALZ.

I do feel like at some point we will see a difference with treatments for diabetes. So much research is going on in certain areas of medicine. My oldest daughter has type 1 diabetes and as you know effects everything.

The advancements that have been developed in cancer and heart disease is astonishing.
(0)

Sunday New York Times put today's decision on aducanumab on the FRONT page article by Pam Belluck and Rebecca Robbins if you care to read it.
AGAIN, this drug according to the reporters will cost your elder and the system "tens of thousands of dollars yearly" and your doc will enrich himself by writing out this prescription, while the drug studies were stopped TWICE because the drug did nothing. It also caused swelling in the brain and there is a danger of brain bleeds (hemorrhagic stroke). Some doctors in the article said as much as they long to have good drugs to give their Alzheimer's patients "THIS IS NOT THAT DRUG". Please be forwarned.
According to the FDA it is patients that are demanding this drug be approved. I don't know.
Just know your facts when costly meds are prescribed. In America it is still "follow the money".
(0)

Patients who are desperate have demanded a lot of questionable treatments over the years, something that immediately comes to my mind is the "liberation therapy" for MS. I know there was a lot of anecdotal evidence that seemed to back this treatment but intense scientific trials repeatedly find no lasting benefit, nonetheless people are still willing to seek out this treatment.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter