Follow

I know many if not most of us are concerned about the impact of Covid-19 on our families and ourselves. I live on Vancouver Island, where there currently is one confirmed case and wanted to share my experience. It shows how quickly things are changing.

I had my annual check up scheduled for next week. As I am not sick, and the check up is not time sensitive, I called the clinic yesterday morning offering to cancel. I was assured that they had lots of room next week and would still see me.

3 hours later I got a call asking me to reschedule for May. The clinic staff and doctors decided it was safer for the community to cancel all non-urgent appointments for the time being.

Social distancing is one of the ways Canada is trying to control the spread. Avoiding the doctor's office unless necessary is one of the ways to do that.

I am not a hands on caregiver to Mum or Dad, but I am providing regular care to my preemie grandson. I have to stay healthy so I can continue to provide his care.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Walmart is the same way here in central Florida. Not one roll of tp, no bleach, disinfectants, rice etc. i was shocked. Not even preparing for hurricane season has it ever been this bad. We all should be hand washing etc and staying away from crowds. Our family reunion has been cancelled due to the number of older vulnerable family members. The thing that has upset me the most is nascar postponing races for nxt two weeks!!! 🤣🤣. Im just kidding ...,hope all are okay and stay that way.
(1)

We had some doctor appointments this last week and next week. When I spoke to the doctors about it last Monday, they said that unless there is an immediate concern that we should cancel for now and reschedule after the pandemic passes. That's good advice. That last place you want to be is with other sick people at this time.

As the health officials have been saying, please call first before going to your doctor or the ER if you think you are infected. Call first so they know to expect you and can thus isolate you from the other patients.
(1)

I think the decision to cancel or postpone non-urgent appointments will be happening in the coming days by more providers both in Canada and here in the U.S. Social distancing is also happening in non-medical venues. I just read that movie theaters are starting to cut theater capacity, sales of tickets for each showing to allow for social distancing. We're supposed to meet my sister for brunch tomorrow at a very popular local place ..yes, I'm wondering if we should cancel.
(0)

My kid went to doctor Monday,, ear infection. Doctor came in with a mask on. She said, not take your mask on and tell me what is going on. At least the doctor or the patient had to have the mask on..
A friend in PA is a horse dentist. Her clients are cancelling appointments. She asked, even if I come in with disposable boot covers, gloves and mask?
Then her friend was to come over for dinner she was making, and he said he was in the city earlier that day, and doesn't want to go anywhere else. Staying low.
I went to the store last night..CRAZY.... shelves were empty, no rice, water, toilet paper, hand sanitzer, but soap was still in good in stock. Tylenol was empty.
Another store, the meat section was almost empty. Asked if they had any chicken. He rolled out his shelves of chicken from the freezer.. As soon as he placed them in the case, it was gone. He just shook his head. He said why bother putting them in the case... It was like that all day long.
(1)

I live in New Westminster, B.C. and made a Dr.'s appt. yesterday for next week. They questioned me about whether I had traveled out of the country recently but so far that's all.

We did receive an email from our bldg strata though requesting no more than three people should use the elevator at one time. Not sure how that will work as our elevators are quite slow.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter