Follow

There is no denying that technology is here to stay. I am married to an engineer. I hear technology stats all of the time.

We already have robots operating on people. The artificial intelligence reports say that these ‘helpers’ will be programmed with empathetic voices to care for the elderly. I am wondering how successful it will be.

Have to admit we are living in a new world. The future will hold many interesting new ways of life.

Did you ever think we would have Alexa, Google, Cameras in our cars and on and on and on, too much to list.

Anyone remember Rosie the robot maid on The Jetsons? Or Data on Star Trek? Nursing homes will be equipped with artificial intelligence caregivers.

I wonder if any of the elderly will attack them. My godmother with dementia would attack her caregivers in the nursing home.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Rosie yes!

We've joked that my sister needs a Rosie in the corner! She could stay living alone with assistance at her beck & call.

I just read your question to my son (the tech geek kid). He said google Japan nurse bot. OMG it's a cute bear!
(3)

The Japanese bots designed to interact with lonely elders are really just a high tech (and not doubt very expensive) extension of the dolls and pets that are already popular with some people, once the novelty wears off I'm not sure whether they are really any more valuable than the low tech versions. (They make me think of Furbies, and how long did that craze last???)

I can't see any use for the robot designed to lift patients, I would much rather see a facility invest in portable or ceiling lifts to aid their nurses.

To me the value of robotics is in assisting rather than taking over - think smart cars that park for us, remind us we are straying outside the lane or brake when traffic slows - and not self driving automobiles. So maybe a smart patient lift that can sense when slings are correctly placed and allows for one person transfers rather than two, but not a giant teddy bear that scoops people up like some kind of creepy human substitute.
(4)

Cwilly,

You have a very good point! Being scoop up by a giant teddy bear is a very creepy thought! I would not want a bot to be my caretaker. Ugh!!
(2)

Beatty,

See, it’s the future. Your son knows all about it? Hey, did you read sci-fi as a kid? I did. Now we are living it! Remember how bizarre it seemed reading 1984?

It’s complicated. There will be mishaps until they perfect it. There will be good and bad with it, like most other things. But they say it will severely cut down on caregiver’s burnout. Plus, they won’t have to pull doubles at work anymore because the AI will be there.

I want a Rosie too! Hahaha
(0)

cwille and Shell,

It’s going to take some time to see what they will perform best at. I see it being in our future though. Especially for certain tasks. They say AI will deliver all meds to residents.

I went on the Mercedes Benz tour in their factory. My God! It’s fascinating to see what robots do.

My oldest daughter would go to Mars if she could! Hahaha. The younger one would never do that and said, “Sissy, those people are pioneers that will be going to Mars, one way tickets. I will never see you again. Don’t go!” The older one said that she would love to make history! All depends on one’s perspective as to how they view the future.
(0)

But Shell, the bots will be programmed to be compassionate. They may be better than some humans. LOL.
(1)

Can you imagine seniors telling off the bots? Hahaha. My mom would try and shame the thing! You know it wouldn’t be programmed for guilt!
(0)

"No wonder I'm getting push-button finger!" I loved watching the Jetsons when I was a little girl. We are no where near integrating robots and AI into our lives the way they portrayed it on the Jetsons.

I think we don't know how to use the technology we already have to maximize quality of life. We just keep inventing more technology that, in my opinion, is mostly useless.

I am a huge fan of good technology and an early adopter of it. I had a laptop when they were the size of a briefcase. I wore a first generation pedometer. I miss Word Perfect because I could reveal codes and get done what I needed to get done; I want to punch Clippy in his stupid little Windows face.

When personal computers first entered the workplace, we were told it could lead to a 4-day work week. Hogwash! It turned out we worked more hours and took fewer vacation days. Office workers got fatter and their wrists and eyes hurt.

Dragon software isn't as widespread as it should be because it takes weeks to train and people don't have the patience or attention spans. But it's fabulous software.

AI involves giving up privacy because that's how AI learns. I think it will be corrupted. I also don't understand how AI can learn the difference between getting commands from someone with dementia and someone without.

I love that you brought up this topic. I look forward to a vibrant discussion!!!
(2)

NY,

You’re absolutely right. AI is not around the corner. It will take a long time before it’s perfected. It is coming in the future.

I love technology too. My kids do too. Of course my husband does, he’s an engineer.

I love the idea of time travel! Hahaha. I do love sci-fi.

In all seriousness when I read 1984 as a teen I never imagined that I would have ended up living out what I found to be bizarre on the pages of that book. I had in vitro fertilization done three times. Didn’t work for me but it certainly has for others.

My grandpa didn’t believe we had the technology to go to the moon. He thought it was a hoax and they were on a mountaintop! Hahaha
(1)

NYDIL, I'm another ardent supporter of WP.   It doesn't use AI (to my knowledge)  but it's far more effective and user friendly than Word, because it anticipates how users will need to function with a top notch word processing program.  The "reveal codes" feature is absolutely imperative for anyone who does significant word processing.   

Word is a farce, backward, dysfunctional, definitely not user friendly, which is ironic given that it's a Microsoft creation.    Maybe the brains were focused elsewhere, probably on creating ability for MS to exploit users' online activities for ad purposes.   Word DEFINITELY needs an AI infusion!

Glad to see another WP aficionado!

On the issue of AI, my niece (in medical grad school) tells me that algorithms are used regularly for various issues in diagnosis and treatment, and supports the use of AI in specific applications.

This I can understand, and support, just as AI could be used for auto mechanics and vehicle problem diagnosis.    Where I draw the line is the demarcation from AI support and AI determination and action which could supercede human control.

I've recently read two AI fiction novels that address the possibility of AI functioning beyond its parameters and "running amok", b/c AI can "learn".    One was Origin, by Dan Brown, and the other was by another author whose works I read frequently, but right now can't remember his name or the title of the book. 

Both address AI achieving a "singularity", a theoretical (for now?) point at which AI advances to the point of making its own decisions, and can advance beyond human control.  

I've watched an excellent analysis of this as well as other AI uses in the 2 hour program aired on PBS recently:  In the Age of Artificial Intelligence.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/in-the-age-of-ai/ .  In my opinion, everyone should watch this, and more than once.

It's a 4 section documentary, with the final section being the most unsettling as it reflects the use by the Chinese of AI in monitoring citizens, including the use of key entry AI to determine when citizens leave their apartments/houses, and return.    What other data it collects is only a guess as the features were in Chinese.   That last segment was like watching one of the horror movies about machines taking over.

Notwithstanding that potential, I still wish AI could be put to better use, more adaptable, functional and programmable.

Oh, and BTW, Tesla's AI operated vehicle smashed into a police car recently.   Whether it was AI programming or an operator mistake in using the programming, I'm sure the police officer wasn't pleased to find his vehicle damaged by an artificial intelligence.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/09/tesla-on-autopilot-rear-ended-a-parked-police-car-on-the-highway.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tesla-hits-parked-california-police-vehicle-driver-blames-autopilot-n878481 (2018)

I can see AI dispensing medicines, but I'd still be concerned about selection of the right meds for the right person.    And I would assume that a person needs to program this function, so that's another concern:  people still make mistakes.

I understand that "robots" have been used in surgeries for more than a few years; this could be a real boon in operating rooms.    I believe that insulin pumps might have some aspect of AI, and that's certainly helpful in monitoring.

One of the aspects that needs to be seriously addressed in my opinion though is data separation so that AI doesn't have access to patient records to the point of a security breach.

And if AI could change adult Depends and similar underwear, I'm sure many caregivers would love it!
(1)

GA,

I posted this question about AI because I have to admit it is fascinating to think about.

AI is amazing! Not perfect at this point but it can’t be discounted as a means to help in solving certain situations. Yes, there is a long ways to go before it can be fully functional and utilized.

Thanks for the book titles. I want to read those! Post back with the other title please.

Our children and grandchildren have lived in a world full of technology. Look at when we were kids. Geeeeez, so primitive in comparison to theirs. We went to the library. They have the internet at their fingertips!

Hahaha, can you imagine our kids using a rotary phone? Remember pay phones? My daddy always made sure I had a nickel in my purse for a pay phone when I left the house! I’m dating myself! Hahaha
(1)

ive no way of knowing how " AI " the va has become but its clear to me that computers are " calling the shots " up there . until the doc , nurse , or technician enters what the computer wants to know -- the entry gets kicked back .

one ( inaccesible ) wing way up in a top floor is dedicated to indiana university health . i suspect thats the brain center of the place .

doc could be a hologram and it would hardly matter .
(1)

As long as it’s good care, right? Hologram doctor, hmmmmm. What a visual that is, Cap!
(0)

if they can digitally duplicate that cute little turd chopper on my current doc -- im IN .
(1)

yes cibel ,
im talking about your behind .
(0)

i look at it when you aint paying attention . Ha
(1)

they oughtta eliminate the doc and let us answer to the computer ourselves .
" dam , this guy needs some dope or pills or something " .
(2)

Hey Cap,

What do you think of all of these follow up surveys? Every visit I have with my doc I get a survey with my opinion of the ‘care’ that I received.
(0)

I recently heard about a robot going into a patient’s hospital room and spoke to him telling him that he would die. His family was livid! I can’t imagine this happening.

We pay expensive insurance to receive this kind of impersonal service. This is appalling!
(0)

If my battles with automated checkouts in supermarkets are anything to go by...

Please place your item in the bagging area.
I did, I already have.
Unexpected item in bagging area.
Unexpected? No it's not! You just told me to put it there!
Please remove your item.
Which one?
Please remove your item.
[removes items, words not suitable for family websites]
Please place your item in the bagging area.
[complies, ditto]
Calling for assistance.

... I do not relish trying to explain my flu-like symptoms to RoboDoc.
(4)

CM- that was funny and so remincent of most dealings with our self check out at various places.

NHWM-I will stick to the old paths and ways as much as possible. Can you imagine what a hug alone does for a lonely person, a robot could not give that same warm feeling to another, no matter how much it is programed to do. It cannot love and care. How horrible for those who already feel lonely and unloved, not to have human touch.
IMHO
(3)

CM,

I don’t like those auto checkouts at grocery either. My husband and daughters like them. My niece loves it so when she is visiting I let her do it.
(1)

Need, as if to make us all sob "what fresh h*ll is this???" one of our more up-market grocery chains ran a charity campaign that made the checkouts use celebrities' voices. If there's anything worse than being asked how many grocery bags you used, it's being asked that by some teenage t.v. idol you'd never watch on purpose.

But it must be different if you're under 21 :)
(1)

CM, apparently the semi-effective automated checkouts we use are similar to, or from the same company, as the ones that you've seen, and that idiotic responses are de jour from these new "wonders."

Yours seem to be programmed for the same stupid, repetitive responses as ours, especially the "unexpected item" and "please place your item in the bagging area".

Pray tell, what else what I do with it?  (Well, if it's hard enough I might use it as a club to whack the check out module.)

The Kroger chain at least has one that asks before scanning is done whether or not our own bags will be used.   Brilliant!

Are you also experiencing commercials with younger people as the "stars"?   Sometimes they're even in the annoying, repetitive, ridiculous, baited commercials Big Pharma has been using to monopolize commercial time.

So, those who can afford their likely costly meds has to first convince a doctor to prescribe them (that part is conveniently omitted), then he/she can live a rewarding life and an apparent skill of proficiency in a variety of activities, ranging from shopping to aggressive sports.  

There's one though that stands out in contrast.   I don't remember what the product is, but it features a woman probably in her late 60s or 70s, dressed to go to the opera, and inferentially living a life just as full as any younger person.
(2)

tacy,
at the va the first stop is always blood draw . labwork is done onsite and ready in about 45 minutes . the doc has become not much more than a ' case ' manager . more and more trained rn ' s are dispensing and managing meds and treatments .
ive been under the care of a world renowned liver doc from IU for several years -- ive never met him .
i think the old MD is becoming redundant and its just as well what with the ego many of them are known for .
(1)

NHWM, I agree about the doctor surveys. Would I really want to say what I found to be less than ideal when I would have to see that doctor again? Generally I have felt positive,some more than others except for the one who messed up my jaw but that is being saved for another time with legal help.
(1)

Tacy, I've never seen anything like the "scan and go" checkout at the local stores I frequent.

Riverdale, w/o knowing the issues of the doctor who worked on your jaw, don't forget that there are statutes of limitation that would apply to any potential legal action. 
(0)

That statues here are 3 years
This all happened to me last summer. In a brief nutshell the endodontist caused my jaw to fracture with his choice of treatments
(0)

River,

It does make it awkward but sometimes we have to speak up. A nurse overdosed me with fertility drugs when I was younger and trying to start my family. I told her that I had never received that large of an amount of that drug which happened to be the strongest type of the drug. This nurse got down right nasty with me and told me that I had no right to question her. I asked her to please consult with my doctor.

That’s when I spoke up again and said, “Don’t tell me that I don’t have a right! That drug is being injected into my body!” Before I knew it she stuck the needle in my hip and off she went without consulting the doctor like I had requested.

Well, the next day I have my doctor calling me and telling me to bring my husband to his office with me for a talk. He refused telling me over the phone and insisted my husband be there for support.

He admitted that I had been overdosed. He apologized to me. He told me my ovaries were swollen tremendously due to the overdose. He said that my lab results were dangerously high and there was a possibility of me dying due to the overdose. It was scary.

Oh, the nurse. She was fired! So yeah, it is awkward but there are times that we have to speak up. Eh, there may be times that we are not sure what is the best way to handle it.

So sorry about your jaw. That’s a tough one. Oh man, fractured jaw. Not fun! Sounds like torture to me.
(1)

Tacy,

You’re right. In some cases, AI is very helpful and might be better than some physicians!
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter