Follow

"The way that Cuomo has handled the cover up has of the deaths of seniors in assisted living is irresponsible, negligent and stupid," said Elaine Mazzotta, a nurse whose mother died last month of suspected COVID-19 at a Long Island nursing home. "They knew better. They shouldn't have sent these people into nursing homes."
Of the nation's more than 26,000 coronavirus deaths in nursing homes and long-term care facilities, a fifth of them - about 5,300 - are in New York, according to a count by The Associated Press, and the toll has been increasing by an average of 20 to 25 deaths a day for the past few weeks.
"The numbers, the deaths keep ticking up," said MaryDel Wypych, an advocate for older adults in the Rochester area. "It's just very frustrating."
Cuomo faced criticism at a recent briefing for saying that providing masks and gowns to nursing homes is "not our job" because the homes are privately owned. He give himself and nursing homes immunity from prosecution so he could not be sued or the facilities that transferred positive covid patients from NYS hospitals into negative covid nursing home which then infected thousands of poor seniors with covid who then died. This occurred in March of 2020.The cover up NYC of 15,000 covid death's was just published on 2/13/21 in NYC metropolitan Ares and Long Island.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
joelfmi, I just heard that Mayor De Blasio calls for full investigation into Cuomo's handling ot the nursing home scandal. Hopefully now, something will get done about it!!!
(3)

Adding to Margaret's observations, I emphasize the cost factor, which would likely be phenomenal if a motion to dismiss shortly after answers were filed wasn't also filed and granted.   And it's possible that Joel would be assessed penalties for filing what could be considered a frivolous lawsuit, in part b/c it's likely he'd have to file on his own, w/o legal representation, and very likely could be overwhelmed by the requirements of proofs for this kind of lawsuit.

That's not even addressing the cost of discovery, and subpoenaing of witness if the suit went that far.

Joel would also expend thousands of dollars either locating or paying for medical witnesses, if he could find any willing to participate.
(2)

Stacy, since you asked me specifically, my post has nothing to do with ‘evidence rules of reasonable doubt vs preponderence of the evidence’. It’s about intention to murder.

Anyone can start a civil suit, but in these circumstances it would be a very expensive choice.
(2)

Cuomo should most definitely have to answer questions on the cover up. At the least. He won an Emmy, how is that possible. It's so stupid and pathetic. However or wherever ppl died, his arrogance did nothing to help. He blamed Trump, so why shouldn't he also bare the burden. It should not be political. I live in Michigan and our Govenor will also not release records. Why not? If you have nothing to hide, you hide nothing
Let's not forget, these ppl work for us. They are not to be idealized. They are to do their job to the best of their ability. He couldn't do that and write a book at the same time. Let's give the family some peace by at least getting some answers. They deserve that!!!
(4)

Lol, ok. All I am saying is Ted Cruz needs a new barber.

So Margaret, a specific question for you. So due to evidence rules of reasonable doubt vs preponderence of the evidence, could an elected official face a civil suit monetary judgement rather than criminal prosecution? What would be the potential ramifications?
(1)

Sorry Rovana, I'm sick to death of hearing about how 'guilty' Trump is. The witch hunt has FAILED. You lost in a court of law. Time to move on. Without TDS to rely on now, you'll all have to actually DO something now besides point fingers at our former POTUS.

JFK put a man on the moon; biden put a man in the women's restroom. BRAVO!

And with 22 executive orders in the first week of his installation compared to 4 for Trump, we have people still calling Trump a 'dictator'. What a joke.
(7)

Shame on YOU oldarkie, Trump has been acquitted, in spite of all the false attempts & HOAXES perpetrated upon him by the democrats. TDS is alive & well, unfortunately. YOU are the one making this forum 'political' now.
(6)

I don’t know the details of what happened in the early days of Covid, when no-one had the knowledge they have now. However I do know that for a full murder conviction you need ‘mens rea’ ie ‘intention’. Proving that this Governor intended to kill Joel’s wife, or anyone else, is wildly unlikely. If his wife had been killed in a car accident, Joel couldn’t arrange for the guilty driver to be prosecuted for murder, no matter how angry it makes him or how negligent the driver was. Whatever actually happened, Joel needs to forget about a murder prosecution, and focus on the rest of his life. I’m sure that’s what his wife would have wished.
(3)

I think you are opening a can of worms you aren't going to like when you get your answers. If this forum becomes political, it will become nothing more that a Facebook fight column and there are way too many of those already. I hope the administrators consider this and take appropriate action.
(3)

IT DOES MATTER to those who had loved ones in Nursing Homes in NY.

It matters.

Whether it's considered 'political' or not, who cares?

What matters is that KILLED lots of people's MOTHERS FATHERS WIVES HUSBANDS SISTERS & BROTHERS and then got a freaking EMMY award for the disgusting SHOW he put on for the corrupt media.

Disgusting
(6)

Joel, I agree with you. Cuomo did not utilize resources that he requested and instead put thousands of lives at risk.

Not only should he be prosecuted but, he should have to pay for the resources that the Federal government, taxpayers, provided and were not utilized.

Personally, I couldn't stand it when the news played his whining bs speeches to torment the USA with. It really proves how biased our media is. He should be made to answer for his bad decisions.
(7)

Look up the article about Cuomo March 27,2020, Cuomo said the he wouldn’t put his OWN MOTHER in a nursing home right now!!!!
(4)

Yes, Cuomo needs to be prosecuted!! He needs to be out of his position!!! I agree 100 percent with what Riverdale said!!!!!
(6)

Joel, that is BS. Your wife was on hospice to begin with. It would be different if your wife was not already dying. This is just political and stupid

I reported my comment as well as yours
(3)

MYSELF AND 15,000 POOR FAMILY MEMBERS LIVE WITH THE LOSS OF THEIR LOVED ONES CAUSED BY CUOMO, I WILL GET CLOSURE WHEN HE IS PROSCUTED FOR HIS COVER UP IN NYS NURSING HOMES.
(5)

CUOMO COVED IT UP THAT'S IS MY POINT. HE MUST BE PROSCUTED FOR THIS THESE POOR SENOIRS WERE OUR MOTHERS, FATHERS, WIFES, CHILDREN. THAT WAS MURDURER FOR WHAT HE DID. EVERYONES LIFE MATTERS. LETS PRACTICE THIS SLOGAN.
(4)

Lealonni, what he said was true, it does not matter. In March, April, etc., not enough was known. Maybe at that time, we could give them a couple shots of bleach, do you think anything else would happen?

People in nursing homes die, Joels wife was already on hospice so I dont think it is ok to encourage his vendetta when she was going to die anyway. Thats the reality.

Honestly, I do not think people over 65 who can lounge around their homes should even be vaccinated earlier than the rest of us who need to go in public. Darwinism, survival of the fit. Thats how it should be.
(0)

Yes I do. He forced nursing homes to take COVID patients from hospitals. Yet he didn't make sure the nursing homes had adequate PPE or staff.
(5)

What Cuomo said was "Died in a hospital or died in a Nursing Home. They're dead".
(2)

Yes. Cuomo even went so far as to say these people are dead, what's the difference how they died? Or something to that effect. Cuomo should be tried and convicted but he won't be. Agree with Riverdales spot on statements.
(4)

No.
(0)

No, he should not be prosecuted, at the beginning of the pandemic, not enough was known about the disease and they all lied. Should we also prosecute Fauci for purposely misrepresenting facts about masks? Or Trump for failing to effectively use the Defense Production Act?

I agree with JoAnn, I hope you find someone to help you get past your grief.
(4)

Covid has become a media and political football.
(3)

"He give himself and nursing homes immunity from prosecution so he could not be sued..."

I think you have your facts confused.   An individual cannot grant him or herself immunity.
(4)

Yes he is guilty of covering up alot if not more. I could not figure out why he did not utilize the vast resources Trump made available to him. The huge ship and Javits Center were mostly empty. He gave his daily news briefs early on and was practically looked upon as God. He would say he had to get off to the Javits Center. To do what? Look at empty beds. Then he and his brother would joke about Covid testing. I hope he sees repercussions from his actions. And then he gets an Emmy. Just before Christmas before the full scope of what happened emerged he said in the press he was going to have a wonderful Christmas as he had been a good boy. As God is my witness (living in the South now is becoming imbibed in me) I heard him say this and felt disgust.
(9)

No. I don’t think he should be prosecuted. He worked with ever changing information. His career is over. Find a minister or therapist to help you move thru your grief.
(3)

Read and decide.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/12/nyregion/new-york-nursing-homes-cuomo.html

https://apnews.com/article/pandemics-new-york-albany-andrew-cuomo-coronavirus-pandemic-9a807bd28f3de71eae30aa13a55eea2e

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/12/politics/andrew-cuomo-nursing-homes-covid-19/index.html

In the end it will come down to facts and evidence and (hopefully) not politics.

Also reporting my post so this can get moved to Discussions, where it is more appropriate.
(2)

Hi Joel welcome back.

I remember reading your previous posts and you lost your wife to COVID. Again so sorry for your loss. I agree that in the beginning things may have not been handled right but we did not know how to deal with this virus. Scientists did not know how to stop the spread. Why did some have light cases and others passed away? NY city area was hit the hardest and fast. I live in South Jersey and the Northern Counties near NYC were hit hard. The second wave has hit harder here in my County than the first.

I don't think any Govenor can be held accountable for how they handled the pandemic in their state. They aren't Doctors or Scientists. They could only go with the information they were given. And that seems to change as they find out more about the virus. In the early days, it was trial and error. A new virus that no one knew how to treat. Things have been learned but people are still dying. Scientists are still trying to find out how this virus works. The vaccine may help but no there r no guarantees.

I pray you have family or a Minister near to help you with your grief.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter