Follow

My Mom is currently in AL, with very bad short-term memory. I thought I'd share something we use with my Mom that has been very helpful. It is called a Dakboard - you can do an internet search on it to get details. Basically it is a large flatscreen that you hang on the wall. Through its wireless connection you can configure it to do things like show a calendar and photos, etc.

We have it configured to show a shared Google calendar. My 5 siblings and I can all add things to the calendar, and Mom can see it. We can also all add things to a common photo site (there are a number of options) and she can see the photos.

I'm pretty technically savvy and was able to set it up fairly easily. There were some tricks that I had to figure out, but if someone who is good at that sort of thing is doing it, it goes pretty smoothly.

Now Mom always has an updated calendar. We sometimes have to remind her to look at it, but it really has helped her remember that she has an activity that day, or coming up. She can also see updated photos regularly, which is good because she has forgotten how to use the computer. And the shared calendar is really great for us kids to coordinate visits, appointments, etc.

I thought it might be helpful for other people. Let me know if you have questions.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Yes, it will only work if your loved one is able to read a calendar. The great thing is that my Mom doesn't have to do anything to use it. It just hangs on the wall, like a wall calendar. She will forget to look at it a lot of the time, but it is right by her chair so she can't help but see it sometimes. And we kids will remind her to look at it when we are on the phone and are telling her about some event coming uip. But all the calendar updates are done automatically when one of us adds something to the Google Calendar online.
(0)

There is no way that my Husband would have been able to use something like that.
Might have been good for others in the family to be able to view a calendar to see when he had appointments or other such things but for him not so much.
I think with dementia even if he had been able to understand it and how to use it that knowledge would have gone fairly quickly anyway.
(0)

It starts at $350. Depending on how fancy you want there can be a monthly charge in addition (they will thrown in the first year free). Details are on the Dakboard website. https://dakboard.com/site
(0)

Wow, that sounds great! I am glad your mom is enjoying it and getting value out of it.

If I may ask, what was the price?
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter