Follow

I had moved dad to Michigan near me last October and was able to visit him everyday until the Covid crisis. But still had many window visits and traded videos with the staff.

He was on hospice and they helped him have a peaceful death. He had no pain or distress. The long battle with dementia is finally over. He’ll be cremated here then I’ll bury his ashes beside mom in WV.

I want to thank Aging care and all the good people I have interacted with the past few years. This site was a great resource for me as I dealt with both parents on my own.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Very Sorry for your loss. prayers of comfort for you at this time.
Rbuser1
(1)

My heart breaks for you. Praying for peace & comfort... Glad your daddy is at peace now... God Bless you! 🙏💔💙
(4)

Dear "Windyridge,"

As losing a loved one with dementia is often called the "long goodbye" - like you said you already felt like you lost him five years ago and began the grieving process in "bits and pieces."

Even though I don't know you or your full story since I've only been on the forum a couple months, I still feel sad for your loss and will continue praying for you as you make that final journey home to WV to join your parents together - it will be bittersweet, no doubt.

May God's presence be with you always -
(3)

God bless. May he Rest In Peace!!
(3)

Oh, Windyridge, I am so sorry for your great loss. May sweet memories of your dad and your time together bring you peace.

Please, feel free to stay on this site. You may have insight that may help others. You're so right about this site being a great resource. Frankly, the people here saved my life.

*hug*
(4)

Windy, my thoughts and prayers. It finally over and now your dad is at peace. You can rest your head knowing you did a job well done. May you find comfort in the memories of your father and hold them dear in your heart. Wishing you strength and peace as you move along in a new chapter of your life. Take food care of yourself.
(3)

Windyridge,
Be sure to give and get hugs each morning, cherishing the two of you during this difficult time.
(2)

Again, thank you all for the support. It’s really comforting. It’s a big relief, it’s over for dad and my burden has eased. I’ve been grieving in bits and pieces for a long time. Dad really left us about 5 years ago as his dementia worsened. Now it’s just a matter of plodding along doing what needs to be done.

I did all the house/real estate stuff after mom died in 2917 so I’m not facing that job now. Cremation will be soon and I’ll make my last trip home to WV so dad can join mom.

I strongly encourage caregivers to utilize hospice. Try to find a non profit organization and get your loved one evaluated as soon as decline begins. It made a huge difference for my dad and for my peace of mind.
(10)

Very very sorry for your loss. My dad died of dementia a couple years back so for his sake it was probably a blessing but still difficult to lose someone like that. Prayers for your days ahead.
(3)

I am so sorry for your loss. I fear the day i have to accept this with my fiance who's had Alzheimer's for 6 years. Your dad is now in a place of peace and i pray the lord helps you find peace. God bless you.
(5)

Call me IF I can help Dr Jack Grenan Cancer survivor
(0)

So sorry Windy. You took such good care of them. Example of a man doing the caregiving arrangements without being totally consumed. I’m glad your dad is at peace.
(4)

Rainmom, your post is very poetic, sympathetic, and lovely in the sentiments and thoughts you expressed.
(3)

Windyridge -

Time, at last - to lay down your sword and shield. The war is finally over, with no winners or losers - just peace finally for all.

You have been a valiant protector and I have always appreciated and admired the level of dignity and respect with which you treated both of your parents - even when it made things more difficult for you.

As the minutes and hours come - of looking back and reflecting on this time and the choices made - know you can hold your head high in a battle well fought.

With sympathy - Rain
(10)

Windy,
You are in my thoughts and prayers. My dad passed away in August. My prayer for you is to feel God’s wisdom, clarity, insight, peace and rest. Thank you for sharing your journey with us on this forum. You helped me and many, many others by knowing we are not alone. You are a blessing.
(2)

My condolences, and best wishes for the next difficult few days and weeks. Margaret
(2)

So sorry for your loss.
(2)

Windy, I am sorry for your loss. And thank you for the many stories you have shared.
(2)

I’m sorry about the loss of your father. Please accept my condolences. Even when it’s expected, it still painful for the family. It was fortunate that he died peacefully. I hope that brings you comfort. Take care, Windy.
(3)

Windy, I echo what others wrote, especially about the advice you've given to others in need.    Advice from a man is different from that of a woman, and I appreciated your insights that I wouldn't have considered.

You've journeyed a long way with your parents, from the rush visits down to WV whenever a crisis occurred to support of both parents until your mother passed, then when you brought your father back here.   That was I think an excellent choice, especially for him.     You gave up your life to be with them, comfort and guide them.

I've no doubt that that guidance helped ease both your mother's passing earlier, and your father's now.   

I wish you peace as you go forward, and may the memories of good times as well as the support you willingly and lovingly provided comfort you in the days ahead.
(9)

Thank you all so much for the kind words. It’s so nice to read all of your nice thoughts after a long couple of days.
(4)

Dear Windy
I am so sorry about your dad. You shared a great deal with us about your parents last few years. Your posts stand out in memory with the many issues you faced head on but with compassion and love. The moves, the dental issues, the clearing of the home, your moms services. The regular visits. I just read recently that you were volunteering for hospice. I always looked forward to your posts and your ability to move forward with the issue at hand. Take care and know you make a difference to many.
(8)

WindyRidge, I’m so sorry for the loss of your dad. I’ve followed your journey with your parents, even if they weren’t capable of telling you, you’ve been an amazing son to them and I’m sure through the struggles they were grateful for you. We’re in the same boat now, the last person who knew us from our start is gone, it’s a foreign feeling. I wish you peace and the comfort of memories of happier times. I also thank you for the wisdom you’ve shared here
(8)

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy, losing someone you love. Best advice I can give, is take all the time you need, to grieve, to sort through their things, to just get your mind wrapped around the fact that they have gone home. Don't make any hasty decisions about what to do with their belongings - that could lead to regrets. (of which I have plenty, and it's not a good place to be) You have my prayers. God is with you, every step you make.
(3)

Aw, Windy, I'm so very sorry to hear about your dad's passing. I will never forget your many kindnesses to me when my mom was dying.

This is a real community here; there are times I feel closer to you all than anyone else. ((((Hugs)))))).
(7)

I am saddened to hear about the passing of your Dad. I am glad that you were able to give your Dad the oppportunity to have a peaceful death. May happy memories of both parents carry you through your sorrow.
(4)

Windyrige, I have followed your journey with your parents back to when they were still living in their home, the many challenges [some comical], to going into the nursing home together, the passing of your Mom, and the moving of your Dad closing to you.

My heartfelt sympathy to you and your family.
(8)

Windyridge,

So sorry for your loss of your Father.
(Both parents, really).

You are a good Son!
(3)

Windyridge, I am sorry for your loss.

May God grant you peace and comfort during this time.

He was blessed to have a son that cared so much.
(3)

My condolences over the loss of your dad. So glad to know his passing was peaceful and that hospice was able to achieve that goal for all of you. Sending you a big hug and a prayer for peace
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter