Follow

On December 15th dad passed away in hospice care.
I had what amounted to a nervous breakdown one morning trying to move him in his bed after he had fractured his leg, when he shouted out “don’t hurt me!” I just totally lost it. Hospice took him to give me respite care. I knew when I called them that I couldn’t give him the care he needed and deserved as a bedridden patient. I think about the last four years and all the weird behavior and the wandering were easy issues to deal with compared to the end care when he was bedridden. If you have physical limitations and are considering caring for an elderly parent keep this in mind, even with hospice help there was not enough help to really let me keep him at home and give him proper care.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
(1)

Sorry for your loss. Please know you did your best. It would be even hard for a man to move another man, who is dead weight. We can only physically do so much. Please no guilt. Mine comes from no patience and pray that Mom was too out of it to know when I lost it. I wish that caring for her had been more enjoyable but it wasn't. It was hard watching her decline. She could not read, she could not carrying on a conversation, both she loved. She couldn't make her wishes known not so much frustrating for her but for me. And being 65 and 5 ft tall with no upperbody strength it was hard. Feel proud in the fact that you cared for him as long as you did.
(0)

I am sorry for your loss. My dad died in 2014 and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him or miss him.
I know I will see him again!

May God comfort you through this painful and hard time. God bless you!
(1)

I am so sorry for your loss. I too am without a Dad, 2 years now. Missing him everyday, but hopeful to see him again. May God help you through this time.
(1)

🤗
(0)

I hope you find ways to be comforted in your loss. My condolences on your dad's passing.

All of us here are working so hard each day on behalf of loved ones that it's easy to lose sight of the bigger picture that this is a one-way trip with a predetermined outcome that ultimately results in our own heartache. It's ironic how, after such self-sacrifice, our own second thoughts surface to add to our pain, even in the face of inevitability.

My dad went on Hospice this month and there seems to be an observable decline each week. As time grows shorter, I find it tempting to reflect back over the years of care and be critical of myself for not getting something done when I said I would, or at all because other things took priority. Instead of making a mental summary of all the things I've been able to do, my mind wanders to the things I couldn't do, as if they might have been the things that really mattered. In my rational mind I know that's not the case, but in my emotional state, I see things through a filter of distortion.

I hope you'll find a way to remember how much you were able to do for your dad and let it be enough. Letting things be enough isn't as easy as it ought to be, but it's probably the most healing work we can do for ourselves after the caregiving experience. Blessings,
(1)

My condolences on your great loss, Glendaj2.

I hope you find comfort that you did your level best caring for your father. May sweet memories of him bring your peace.

Be gentle with yourself. {hug}
(1)

So sorry, Glenda, for the loss of your beloved father.
(2)

I am sorry for your loss, you did a great job for your dad.

Now it is time to take care of you. Be kind and gentle with yourself, be forgiving and understanding. Find ways to make your life feel enriched.

Hugs!
(4)

Dear Glenda,
I am sorry about your nervous breakdown and your Dad's passing both. May you find Peace and Grace.
(3)

I'm sorry for your loss.
I've read many stories here on AgingCare where people who didn't have any extra friends, family or the ability to hire care took care of a loved one at home until the end, I can't think of any that didn't cause deep trauma and long lasting negative effects. Sometimes stepping back is the only good choice.
(5)

I am so sorry for your dad's passing, and glad you were able to get him care. Take care of yourself
(3)

Thank you for your good advice. I’m sure many will benefit from it and they will think twice before trying to keep going when they are at breaking point. Look after yourself now.
(5)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter