Follow

Last night, my Dad who was about to turn 93 on Friday, collapsed. According to Mom, who sometimes gets confused about details, he either didn’t or barely had a pulse and either wasn’t or was barely breathing. The EMTs did not allow her to go to the hospital with them (presumably b/c of Covid risk.) She gave them a phone number and asked if the hospital could call when they had more information. Mom has been having phone trouble all week. When Mom finally called me this morning, saying she would tell me as soon as she heard something, I gave it a few hours, then called the hospital I suspected he’d been taken to. (Yeah, I know my mother neither understands nor communicates medical information well, and has a long history of keeping me out of the loop about Dad, who lost speech after a series of strokes.) The ER staff person said he had been brought in last night and had passed away, and that they had called my mother over and over, but no one picked up. I immediately called the front desk of the facility where my parents live(d). Since Mom’s phone still wasn’t working, I had to tell her while she stood at the front desk. I feel awful for her. At the same time, she is in one of the first facilities to lock down when Covid hit Westchester, NY and I live in Brooklyn, where we had refrigerated trucks overflowing with bodies that couldn’t be kept in the morgue last spring. All during that time when my husband, son, and I, were following Governor Cuomo’s instructions to the letter, Mom kept bragging to me about how she managed to “cheat” with others who lived in the facility and agreed with her that all this “Covid stuff” was an overreaction. Eventually, I felt a responsibility to call the facility. It wasn’t the first or last time they had to call a staff meeting about my Mother. She has a bit of a...reputation there. So, I’m relieved she’s not pressuring me to go up there, gather with family for any sort of memorial yet. (We’re Jewish, so if it weren’t for Covid, we’d have a funeral underway by tomorrow.) But given her talent for denial, there’s no telling when she’ll start piling on demands. I set boundaries with her, usually gently and lovingly, but between handling my own grief and summoning up the energy to keep setting appropriate boundaries while being present emotionally. It’s all overwhelming. I so wish she were willing to accept the facility’s offer to help her do some Zoom gatherings or at least one-to-one. My son, her only grandchild, is a mostly non-speaking autistic. He’s very emotionally connected though, so it’s been hard to explain to him why we haven’t been able to drive up to Grandma and Grandpa’s. He’s doing well in virtual school, so I think he would find some comfort in seeing her and perhaps even more solace in trying to comfort her. (He’s just that kind of guy. I’m very proud of him.) But even while Dad was alive, I begged her to take the staff up on their offer to set up virtual meeting, and she just kept saying that “wasn’t [her] priority.” Sorry to ramble. I feel kind of numb about Dad so far, added to mixture of fear and worry about and anger at her. (She was a reluctant, burned-out care-giver who refused to hire enough help even though she the money to get more. She was horribly impatient with Dad, when he lost speech.)
Thanks for letting me ramble.
Carol

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Aikyo1, my heartfelt sympathy to you and your family.
(4)

Dear Carol. I’m very sorry for your loss. May your Dad now Rest In Peace. Sending you a hug. Take care of yourself.
(3)

Carol, so sorry for your loss. You are not rambling. You are just expressing your emotions which is what this site is for. Feel free to come back over and over again and "ramble" away. We will listen and help where we can.

Again, so sorry for your loss.
(3)

I am so very sorry for your loss.

We are never quite prepared to say goodbye.

You will always reflect on your memories with him. They will live in your heart forever.

May your sweet father Rest In Peace.

Your son sounds so sweet. He will miss his grandfather.
(3)

Carol, how sad this must be for you, I send my condolence. I don't understand why the hospital didn't call the front desk like you did. I hope something can work out for a zoom soon.
(5)

Carol, I am so sorry for your loss.

May you be blessed with grieving mercies and strength during this difficult time.

Great big warm hug!
(3)

Carol, sorry for the loss of your father. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Wishing you much peace and strength during this difficult time.
(4)

Carol, I am so sorry for your loss. Baruch dayan ha emet.
(4)

I'm sorry for the loss of your Dad. Sending you a hug and prayers for peace and comfort.
(4)

I’m sorry for your loss. This was the year I lost my dad also. I wish you peace and comfort
(3)

How sad that your father died.

No need to apologize for rambling. It always helps to "tell your story."

Congratulations to your son for his successes.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter