Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
2 3 4 5 6
'disgustedtoo' ---- So Harpcat wanted something more than mild. Would that be 2 weeks of severe pain and discomfort, or maybe a ventilator, or perhaps just a lifelong disability? Anyway, to wish some one ill will just to serve a cause is just plain mean. I can understand and have empathy with those who have suffered or died from a disease or condition without having the disease or condition myself.
For me, if someone does contract the covid, I wish they have mild or no symptoms. Even if that person is Biden or Trump or Schummer or McConnell or Pelosi or fill in the blank. But that's just me and probably a vast majority of human beings.
(2)

"So Harpcat wanted something more than mild. Would that be 2 weeks of severe pain and discomfort, or maybe a ventilator, or perhaps just a lifelong disability?"

You ASSUMED Harpcat meant death in your original comment.
Now you're assuming all kinds of other scenarios.

STOP assuming.

If you have a problem with Harpcat saying (darn it), take it up offline with Harpcat. That goes for what anyone else says.

We are here to help and support one another, not dump on them. Perhaps someone will think I'm dumping on you - no, I'm just pointing out that you are making assumptions.
(2)

Imho, personally I will go under anesthesia AGAIN tomorrow and then 2 weeks from that for cataract surgery (first was under anesthesia for colonoscopy). Point is no real point at all other than had 02 and my mask over top of the 02.
The Novel Coronavirus never left.
(3)

Wishing you all the best, Llama 💗
(1)

As gladimhere says:

"The way of the world. Those that feel it is a hoax and those that think it will never get them, as in the neighbors case.

The best we can do is to take all precautions for ourselves. You cannot depend on others. Stay safe all and do your part."

Currently, sadly, this IS the way of the world. It seems more true here than in other places (NOTE I said MORE, not exclusively!)

As we discuss our LO's various issues on this forum, we encourage others to understand we can only change ourselves, how we choose to deal with or react to situations. We can't change others. They have to want to change AND make the change(s). We can't force others to do what might be the right thing(s) to do.

So, the best we can do is try to protect ourselves (and in some small way protect others, even the deniers) as best we can. Today I read about a nurse in SD who reported some of those in more serious condition refused, right to the end before they passed away, that it wasn't real and refused to believe they were infected or were going to die. Very sad.

As for how it has impacted me or those I know, so far nothing medically. My son works remotely, my daughter is dispatch, so has to go in to work. Scary that on 11/7 a staff member of mom's MC was tested and they called Tuesday to tell us this person tested positive. MC residents are now on lockdown in their rooms (they were somewhat exempt due to their conditions, just spread out more at mealtimes and had staggered meals.) Exceptions are those who tend to walk about a lot during the day anyway, just working to keep them apart.

This is a first - we're not in or near the "epicenter" in our state, but figured it was just a matter of time. The number of cases are increasing here now too. They tested all the MC residents, and reported that mom was negative. That's the closest it's come for me. To date, my town has had 35 cases total, mom's (next town over) has had 34. But, the number of current cases are growing and are now at the highest daily level I've seen them.

As for the lockdown, it does stink, but even more for me. Other than no masks or virus, I've been in "lockdown" mode more or less for 2 years before the virus came along (financial issues.) Just when the situation resolved and I could move forward, along comes the virus. Plans to get the necessary fixes done on this house and visiting my kids and grandson are on hold still. I only shop about every 2 weeks, already used online delivery for cat and mom supplies. Some mom items I had to get in a store or pharmacy, but I would plan ahead and buy more than was needed to reduce outings. I was still dropping off mom's supplies, but can't visit, can't call her (no phone due to dementia and hearing issues), no window access, video visits wouldn't work with her. This stinks, as she likely doesn't have much time left. She's 97 and had a stroke early October. She is losing weight as eating has become difficult for her. She's now on hospice, so I won't need to go as often to pick up anything for her (they supply the briefs and wipes, I still get her meds.)

I do have to try to stay safe, for myself, my cats, my kids, but also for my mother. I manage all her care and finances. My bros are mostly useless and would probably screw everything up or squander it all!

It would be nice to know if I've already been exposed, but had no symptoms. I've never had the flu (or a flu shot), haven't been sick in decades and have never been "down and out" for more than a day. It isn't like I haven't been exposed. I raised 2 kids, and worked all those years, so plenty of interface with others, many who were sick all the time! I don't want to pay for the antibody tests, which aren't always accurate and also there's no proof yet, no one really knows if we will be immune if we've had it and survived or get the vaccines.

While I agree it would be nice to be able to get out and about again, what did people do back in the day, living isolated?
(1)

Llamalover47
"(first was under anesthesia for colonoscopy)"
I've lost count how many times they've bugged me about getting this done... Between the "prep", anesthesia or sedative, which means needing to find a ride, and already having a tear in the upper digestive tract, no thanks! I finally agreed to the "box" test, I even ended up getting paid to do it! Insurance has had rewards for doing certain things, and the test company sent a letter saying I'd get a gift card from them too, if I sent it in by X date! Free test AND got paid!

I do understand sometimes the scope is necessary, just hoping I never have to do that.

I'm curious about the cataract surgery - did you choose general anesthesia or they said you had to? I want to avoid that, because I had that tear previously. In reading about it, I thought there was local anesthetic and possibly a sedative....

I'm holding off for now, partly because it isn't too bad yet, partly because I oversee mom's care and finances, partly because I'd need a ride and partly because of the virus... (ride would have to be someone who doesn't live with me - none of my cats have learned to drive yet! No Toonces here! Even if they could start it and steer, two would have to work together as I only have manual shift vehicles. The only time I've seen any work together is when one brings a mouse up from the basement...)
(2)

For the past few months I have been studying up on the 1918 pandemic.... and it is running parallel with the covid 19 virus. My gosh, didn't we learn ANYTHING in those 100 years?

February 1918 was the start, it ended in April 1920. And the covid-19, even through it started in December 2019, the U.S. didn't take real notice until February 2020. The scientist were saying it would run until the Spring of 2022.

Back during the 1918 pandemic, 25k people were dying each month. Sad to say, the covid-19 has that number beat. Lately the numbers are over 1k per day, thus 30k per month.

Society acted the same way. There were people who took the pandemic seriously and others who ignored it. Yep, back then there were folks who refused to wear masks [the masks were made of glaze]..... there were folks who refused to distance themselves..... and there were Mayors of big cities who had festive parades with people packed together lining the streets. Like I mentioned before, didn't we learn ANYTHING from that pandemic?

https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-i/1918-flu-pandemic and click on the photos.
(3)

disgusted: Nothing pleasant about a colonoscopy. Goof for you with the box test and getting paid, too. I will be in the good care of my opthamologist so I don't know what anesthesia medication that his team uses. None of your kitties have learned to drive yet - LOL.
(1)

NeedHelpWithMom: Thanks so much.
(1)

How the virus is wrecking my life:

Eldest son's senior prom: cancelled.

He and his best cousin both graduated in June: No graduation ceremony. Not even the planned visit/celebration dinner with my dad & his wife who were going to come up from Florida for it.

Two of my sons have summer birthdays, one turned 18: no traditional birthday parties for them.

Annual camping trip for my three sons and husband in Boy Scouts: cancelled. Literally the ONLY time I have the house to myself (well, besides mom) all year, and I so look forward to it. Gone.

Our Troop and Pack are dying financially and therefore losing members, because we are never allowed to have proper meetings; the EEE scare last fall prevented any camping until December, then the virus hit. No camping of any kind all year, which we all do together with Scouts and love to do as a family.

Annual family excursion to the local (one of the biggest in the country) Renaissance Fair (it sounds trivial but it's always been a big deal for us): cancelled.

My middle son graduated elementary school, he was"valedictorian": ceremony cancelled. No recognition for all his hard work. Very demoralizing.

My youngest son hates distance learning and is growing increasingly frustrated, constantly interrupting me and middle son while we try to homeschool.

Youngest son began grinding his teeth a few months ago from the stress. Wore most of his baby teeth molars down to nubs before I realized. Make a simple dentist appointment to begin to correct the problem? Nope sorry, "we are still trying to catch up with our regular cleaning appointments. We can see him in a month." Same situation with eldest son who now has painful wisdom teeth coming in.

My elderly mom with dementia who lives with us, whom I take every summer to visit her brothers and sister in Ohio: no visit this year, probably the last year she would have recognized anybody.

Annual extended in-law family Christmas Eve celebration: cancelled. (I guess I really can't complain about that, I hate going there lol)

Me, as a SAHM, being literally trapped at home for 7 months straight now with all of my kids, when they would normally be out of the house for at least 6 hours a day, while trying to care for my mom who is rapidly deteriorating. Hubs gets to go to work, never had to stay home because he is "essential", is too tired to help. (Has no problem going to help his mom anytime she needs yardwork done, though.)

My son is playing a keyboard right next to my head while I try to concentrate enough to just write this. I can't tell them to just stop and go away because I know they are just as cooped up and frustrated as I am, and I know I can bear the brunt of the stress, so I just let them do whatever helps them, even if it drives me up a wall. I try to get us out of the house as often as possible but things are expensive, or closed, and they are getting sick of the same old "taking a walk or bike ride".

I am not a virus denier. I wear my mask whenever I go out....But locking down the entire population instead of just the vulnerable...it's starting to seem like a bad idea. Suicides, drug abuse, alcoholism, domestic abuse are all skyrocketing and I can see why. I even find myself having a bit more rum a bit more often lately. This can't continue...or the solution will become worse than the problem.

My brother, his wife, and their eldest son all got COVID. The adults said it was like a bad flu, their son's was like a cold. They got over it, thank God.

I know things could be worse. But they're pretty bad already. Now excuse me while I freshen my drink. lol
(4)

The question is ..... How are so many peopl getting COVID?

Are people not following the guidelines?
The guidelines do not work?
(1)

careinhome;

I'm nosy??? For defending an assumption you made regarding someone else's comment??? If you had merely questioned what she meant by her statement, I wouldn't have given it a second glance, but you ASSUMED.

Definition of nosy
adj - offensively curious or inquisitive

I may be curious and/or inquisitive (*NOT if asking gets into someone's personal business*) as I like to learn more, but offensively? Nope. Generally I mind my own business, but comments like yours irk.

You were the one who ASSUMED you knew what Harpcat meant.

You basically accused Harpcat of wishing death on the governor.

You were the one who ASSUMED you could read Harpcat's mind or read meaning into what Harpcat said. I merely presented other ways of looking at what was said.

"Good thing we have you to solve all the world's problems."

Again, assumptions. Whoever said I could solve the world's problems?? If I could, I would've done it long ago.

"I guess you wonder often why people don't listen to you more."

More assumptions. How do YOU know other's don't listen, or that I even tell others what to do or think?

Hopefully you didn't wager anything on this:

"I bet you are a HOA president just like Cynthia on the Progressive commercials."

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! You couldn't be more wrong.

I'm not familiar with this "Cynthia" as I don't watch TV. It's mostly garbage.

How's about we just get back to the topic AlvaDeer started?
(2)

I think it's a little of each Hailey. The only way to ensure that nobody gets covid is to totally lock everyone into their most intimate bubbles and then vigorously stamp out any signs of a resurgence (like they did in China) and that is obviously never going to happen. It's kind of like wearing your seat belt when driving and following all the rules of the road, that doesn't 100% guarantee your safety or protect you from other bad drivers but it does decrease your personal risks. Way back in the beginning I made the parallel to trying to navigate a war torn city; there are possibilities of unseen snipers (single transmission) or suicide bombers (super spreaders) picking people off when they venture out of their safety zone, chances are good that you won't encounter one or that if you do you can avoid grievous harm but the possibility is always there and you need to plan accordingly.
(4)

HaileyBug, look up "Covid-19 spread studies". You will see it is spread mostly by our grouping together, at times without masks. In my daughter's town recently a party for the Sea Hawks. 17 attendees. 10 infected at once. 1 dead. Whether bar or nursing home, those gathered together by choice or chance at at risk, and age and body type predicts their likely outcome. Much is not known about covid, but much IS, and how and why it best spreads isn't a question. It will be with us for a long time. But being protected to the tune of 60 to 70% beats no protection at all. I have not ridden a bus in 7 months. I miss it very much. And all the things I used to do that I cannot, at 78, now risk.
(2)

Happy as a clam keeping away from people. I wish more people would plan for end of life and get their paperwork in order. I'm worried about our nurses and doctors who already are burned out, being forced to provide heroic measures and futile care. I pray - a lot. I'm worried about how another round of lockdown will affect young and middle aged people who need to work in order to earn money for the life that will come after the pandemic. I remind myself that in 1918, 50 MILLION died worldwide or one-third of the population at that time.
(2)

News story from El Paso:

https://kfoxtv.com/news/coronavirus/el-paso-moves-to-10-mobile-morgues-for-covid-19-deaths-as-judge-wants-to-extend-shutdown
(2)

The comment made about swine flu is deceptive. "CDC estimates show those infections resulted in about 274,000 hospitalizations and 12,500 deaths, or a fatality rate of 0.02% among case. I am not saying 12,500 deaths is nothing but it sure is better than 247,000 deaths from covid.
(1)

Latest two highest rates of transmission from studies of spread show indoor dining at full service restaurants number one spreader with fitness gyms right behind. Apparently worse than most outdoor rallies. Highest spread likely because more people doing this than going to parades, demonstrations, rallies. In the case of restaurants, 3 times higher change of getting it. They think it is because of time spent in single indoor space, no masking because of eating, and meeting with others you aren't seeing otherwise socially. Interesting. Studies continue,and of course like statistics, you can make them say pretty much anything it you tweak them a bit. They get repeated and you never know where they come from , how many studied, etc.
(1)

Alva,

Thank God, our mayor cancelled all of our music festivals!

New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival is a top notch festival that people attend from all over the world.

I have attended this festival from the very first one. It has grown into a huge gathering.

French Quarter festival has grown, along with VooDoo Fest and many others.

We had our big outbreak after our Mardi Gras parades, also attended by most locals and tourists from all around the world.

Naturally parades are outdoors but we have our Mardi Gras Balls. I have been. They are long events with a huge party afterwards.
(1)

It seems pretty clear to me from the super spreader events that aerosol transmission is a real thing, it's not just droplets from up close and personal contact.
(3)

katskorner said'

"The comment made about swine flu is deceptive. "CDC estimates show those infections resulted in about 274,000 hospitalizations and 12,500 deaths, or a fatality rate of 0.02% among case."

While that 2009-10 swine/H1N1 flu did fit the criteria for a pandemic (which usually refers to something affecting multiple countries, but it can be widespread in just one country), the comparison doesn't really work. People don't think too much about it, because it really didn't impact so many. Those who got sick and/or died, yes, but it didn't pan out to be such a ubiquitous flu, was brought under control and so it has not made as much of an impression on people as the 1918 flu pandemic or this virus. As a result, no lockdowns were needed - it wasn't spreading unchecked through businesses, facilities, cities.

In 1918, there were no vaccines and very little in the way of treatments. It was also an H1N1 strain, but for many reasons in addition to no vaccines or treatments, it ran rampart and killed so many people all over the world (having a world war at that time certainly didn't help!)

In 2009-10, we had vaccines and treatments. While the vaccine in use was not for that strain, the "experts" do say that you get some minimal protection if you get the flu shot anyway. As katskorner says, the infection rate and death rates were much lower than it is for the previous pandemic or this one. WHO estimates deaths worldwide might have been as high as 284K. We haven't (technically) hit a year yet, but the deaths in the U.S. alone are almost that high now. NOTE: "For comparison, the WHO estimates that 250,000 to 500,000 people die of seasonal flu annually." That's worldwide. U.S. deaths from this virus have already crossed the lower threshold of worldwide est flu deaths, with no end in sight. Worldwide the number of deaths from this virus is about 1.3M so far, twice the high est of flu deaths.

For the 2 flu epidemics, yes, it seemed to hit the relatively young and healthy harder, where typical flus hit the young and old harder. For this virus, it does hit the elderly hard, esp those confined to care facilities (closer contact) and those old and younger with pre-existing conditions. It isn't fully understood, but they learn more every day. The scary thing is it does seem to be impacting more younger people, even children, as it spreads, and there are some long term lingering affects for many. That usually isn't the case for the flus.

If this virus can't be brought under control somehow, it will certainly rival the 1918 pandemic. We shouldn't forget the "swine" flu either, as there is potential for it to come back, but for now it pales in comparison.
(0)

OK That has been my "POINT" the entire time.

People are not following the safety guidelines. That is the reason they are still not allowing visitors in some nursing facilities.

They are afraid visitors will go into nursing facilities and not follow the safety precautions and the ones in charge will not enforce it.

Just think, If people would do their job, there could be visitors.
(1)

Oh, ya, not sure I answered the question in the title of this post, so here goes. How this virus is wrecking my life: I have more anxiety, I drink more alcohol, I work out more but excesses in other areas surely cancel the benefits, I eat too much macaroni and cheese, the place I always went for solace (church) is closed. I am sad, I am heartbroken that those without family will eat alone during the holidays because the state closed all indoor dining, I lost hope for a better tomorrow, and lost belief that humanity is kind.
(4)

GingerMay, I pretty much always saw "humanity" as a VERY mixed bag. I think I cannot be considered a humanist. It is difficult to be certain. Rain today, and usually I can busy myself with garden, heck with sweeping the whole neighborhood, taking a walk, something. Today is a day with just letting the clock tick away. Books. Radio. A few letters. The good old AgingCare Forum. It is hard to be certain. Easier for those of us not worried about working, already a bit old and creaky and more ready for restful naps. It is tough. There's no questions. As to Thanksgiving, I won't miss it. Too many people, too much food, I can't even taste it with everyone talking at me. This year I will take joy in our own turkey done the slow way, the good smells, the quiet. Never much of a party girl, me, almost a bit reclusive. Yeah, I eat too much. Dry Salami last night had me burping my way thru three episodes of Fargo. As to the alcohol, I come from a family that, before my Dad came along, drank themselves to death. I always remember as a kid asking him how long our ancestors lived and him saying "You can judge by me; the rest drank themselves to death pretty early". He lived to mid 90s, wishing he had go at about 80 I think. Long story long I don't much keep alcohol in the house at times like this. Normal times, a glass or glass and 1/2 wine with supper is fine. Now, I am in all honesty if not afraid of it, at least respectful. It is so easy to self medicate ourselves out of a world that at the moment is too painful.
There's no question. This is something else again.
(2)

Disgustedtoo. Oh gee, you are soooo much better than me because you don't watch tv. I stand corrected. Let me bow to your altar. But you just might learn a little something from the song Mind Your Own Biscuits. It's been fun.
(0)

Are we done now?
(4)

I have been watching the reruns of "Wagon Train" and thinking about how life was back then. Could any of us live in that era? Imagine what a contagious illness would do to those heading West. And the show also makes me thankful for what I have :)
(3)

I must have missed something. I think it's my age. I hate missing thingsgI do watch TV. But I feel guilty about it, so that makes it OK, hee hee. Right now it is Fargo with Billy Bob Thornton doing his quiet and gentle mass killer as only he can. And Better Call Saul again, this time with the Partner, who will only watch one episode a night. This time enjoying the moral complexity of each character twice as much as the first time, when I binged it so bad I all but had toothpicks propping my eyelids open.
(1)

I think it is easier for those of us who are older and need more down time. I love spending time reading and doing whatever on my laptop. On the other hand, everyone needs human contact sometimes, and being alone as much as I am isn't easy or probably good for me. But, it is what it is and we all will get through it. My activities are confined to within the house pretty well now and I am hemmed in with cold and snow. Cabin fever usually hits about February but it is hitting me and others now way earlier than usual.
(7)

As I posted on another thread, my three kids two take covid seriously, one, not so much. Now, Ms not so much, both children are now sick, got tested today.

My county moved to level red today, then VOILA! There is a new extreme level, purple. Red was lockdown until today. Now level purple is lockdown. Restaurants are back to take out only. Trying to keep small businesses going.

Two weeks ago we had about 100 cases, now 400. I am just fine spending time at home, as much as I can, ALONE, with Ming. Good thing she enjoys my company!
(4)

2 3 4 5 6
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter