Follow

Creating this simply because it is BAAACCCCCKKKKK, and we are going to be dealing with it.

Under good news: a new task force will have Kessler at the helm. One of the most brilliant and honest men in our world. The plan to to make PPE in our OWN COUNTRY. The vaccine may be on the way. Team Germany with Pfizer in the final lap of this race. We are better at treatment; fewer are dying.

Bad news: anyone who must be congregated with others is at risk. The elderly are at risk. And another bout of lockdown? I cannot imagine this for our elders. But it is going to happen.

I thought I would create this Dashboard so we can comment on anything Covid. Does your loved one have it? How are they doing? Did they beat it? How did that go? Are they on lockdown and you are frantic?

Just asking. How are you doing with the new uptick of our least favorite virus? What are your thoughts? Ideas? Have you had it? Have you lost a loved one? Have you survived it?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4 5
🍵 Having my tea just now, be back later.
(3)

"AlvaDeer,"

Right now I'm concerned with the letter we received from my mom's facility last night. On the one hand, the Director said she got word from Corporate that residents will be allowed to go to their families homes for Thanksgiving Day and Christmas. For my husband and I who are renters, we are allowed to go to the facility on those two days and have their holiday meals in the outside courtyard - I'm not too fond of having my mom outside as well as our meals getting cold as I'm sure the temps will be at least chilly even if we live in the desert southwest. I just feel like this is a mixed signal.

Are people who have it in their homes really going to limit the number of people in attendance, keep their distance, wear masks in their own homes and most of all refrain from hugging/kissing their loved one(s) while my husband and I abide by the rules on the facilities turf?

My mom already survived COVID back in April/May and has been under hospice care ever since along with no longer having the ability to walk or dress herself. Also, it still isn't clear as to whether my mom can get COVID again - at least this soon after having plenty of time recovering from it. When the facility had three cases in the last 5 months, she was quarantined to her room for 14 days each time.

My husband and I have done everything in our power to not get it i.e. I shop once a week during the slow weekdays and early in the morning to avoid a large crowd. We don't go to restaurants anymore like we used to all the time and go through drive thru's for takeout and coffee. I've always been a cleaner so I use spray bottles of 70% - 91% alcohol to spray handles, door knobs etc.

As of now, we plan on going to the facility for the two holiday meals but, I honestly don't know what to think about all of it especially when we've been warned about the increase of cases during the fall/winter/flu season.

It's very frustrating to say the least but, it could be the last Thanksgiving and Christmas I will have with my mom and I hate for her to be alone while everyone else is doing something. I guess all of it ticks me off!
(2)

NobodyGetsIt: I can't believe how mixed that signal is. I think everyone is confused. They aren't on lockdown per se so don't know what to do; their employees come from their home every day to serve our elders, so the elder going out and coming back may not be much of a worry???? Such is what I imagine they are thinking, yet households are FULL of the young, and they aren't worried (and don't need to be overly worried for the most part) and they can spread it to the elder, who brings it back to what is sadly a bunch of sitting ducks, unable to escape.
I think at this point impossible for your Mom to get again. They have few cases of re infection outside of 6 months out. I think only several. Still, wouldn't want to risk it.
We aren't even going to our own kids in our own city for thanksgiving, and they are careful due to pre existing conditions for two of them. We are doing our own Turkey's visiting one another talking out in the street masked, exchanging a baked goodie or two.
These are tough times. A bad uptick and I fear for our medical folks; and lockdown? I fear for our elders. My daughter is back to teaching special ed little ones; she says there is literally no way for her to stay safe enough, and she is late 50s.
I hear today that one of the monoclonal antibodies will be approved. But infusion, it can only be given to those hospitalized.
(1)

"AlvaDeer,"

I think if it were left up solely to the Director of her facility, I'm not so sure she would have residents going out to their families homes. She has a passion for the elderly and has been working with them since she was 14 years old. She has been running a tight ship and it took us a lot to even get my mom to be accepted into their facility since she had COVID and would be transported from the three-week rehab stint after being hospitalized to move there.

The fact they've only had three cases to me is amazing where there were 44 (out of an 85-resident capacity) at her previous ALF and over 22 of them died.

Yes, so they are not on lockdown. I could go and do an indoor visit but, have to go through all the testing and I don't know if it's covered through our insurance in which we have a high deductible plan. I'm glad the director did give us places to have the testing done but, haven't delved into it yet. As far as I know, I can't go into her apartment - it would be in the TV area just beyond the lobby.

And I do realize their workers go home and come back to work and who knows what they do when away from their jobs. That's how it happened at her previous facility. The facility was right by the hospital, so basically I called it Care Facility Row where there was six facilities on that one street. One of the staff at her facility would go down the street and work at one of the other facilities and brought it back to my mom's. Both facilities were on every local news station at the time this was all still new and unknown back in April/May.

Your daughter is about my age so I can imagine her being with small special ed children it's very difficult for her to stay protected. And as for the young, they're the ones who may be the most asymptomatic and then like you said, the spread will occur with the elderly who are sitting ducks.

I've been concerned about all the healthcare workers on so many different levels since this began. Our state had a 46-year old "healthy" doctor with a wife and two young kids who ended up getting it around April and was in the hospital for nearly two months and went into a coma. His medical practice is right up the street from where we live. It was a terrible situation but, thankfully he survived and I watched the reuniting of his family when he was finally released.

Good idea for you to do your own Thanksgiving and just visiting in your neighborhood.

My husband does like to research all the statistics and charts etc. and he told me the same thing I think you mentioned the other day about the proposed vaccine having a 90% effective rate. I'll have to ask him if he's heard about the monoclonal antibodies. Lately, he's been mainly talking about the vaccines requiring storage in extreme temperatures and wondering how places will be able to adhere to those storage requirements. Also, the fact that he wishes there could be a pill form instead of injections requiring you to get them I think it was three weeks apart.

Keeping fingers crossed!
(0)

All of our LTC employees - that means everyone, not just healthcare workers - must pass daily screening and be tested for covid every 2 weeks, is that not happening there? (And even that hasn't kept it out)
(1)

I'm just sick and tired of my kids' flip flopping between us hanging out together--one week we have to wear masks, another week, we don't.

I get the stinkeye from one DD if I don't wear my mask and wash my hands every 20 minutes and heaven forfend I TOUCH the 3 yo...but then she needs a babysitter and it's all good, whatever, just don't share drinks.

Dh has had to travel for work--the kids are furious with him, b/c he is all the high risks--but mentally? He was going insane working from home and not being effective. I'm sure he is extremely careful---but I do worry some.

So glad there seems to be a 'winner' from Pfizer. I'm also in the 'high risk' category, so my oncologist has told me I'd get the vaccine as soon as it's available. Dh will also be able to have it soon.

Sadly, 40% of the general population will not get vaccinated. They don't get the annual flu vaccine and it's unlikely they'll avail themselves of this. Covid, to some degree, is here to stay.
(1)

I will repost this interesting article re masks of all kinds. I was surprised to know that more than a few didn't know that masks protect US as well as others. To some extent. And to some extent is all we will ever get. Midkid is correct. There will be anti vacc who will not get injections.
But masks give some protection. I wear one. And no one comes within a mile of me without one. Hee hee.
N95 Respirators, Surgical Masks, and Face Masks
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/n95-respirators-surgical-masks-and-face-masks | FDA
There are things we can EASILY do. Masks and handwashing are two. Others, what to do about elders with no visits and not being with loved ones in hospital are EXCRUCIATING.
(2)

Look at measles, there are an increasing number of outbreaks each year despite the fact that most people have immunity either through having had them or through immunization. Even when we reach that level of herd immunity it won't mean it has disappeared, IMO best case scenario is that one day it really will be "just the flu" in that it is both preventable and treatable.
(4)

Measles facts reported by the CDC
Measles was eliminated in the United States in 2000.

During January 1–April 26, 2019, a total of 704 cases were reported, the highest number of cases reported since 1994. Outbreaks in close-knit communities accounted for 88% of all cases. Of 44 cases directly imported from other countries, 34 were in U.S. residents traveling internationally; most were not vaccinated.

Unvaccinated U.S. residents traveling internationally are at risk for acquiring measles. Close-knit communities with low vaccination rates are at risk for sustained measles outbreaks. High coverage with measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccination is the most effective way to limit transmission and maintain elimination of measles in the United States.
(0)

The entire Covid thing has me frustrated. There are so many deniers around here, it has me crazy. My township is smaller, you know everyone really. The manager of the gas station's SO is in there every morning, no mask. When I was in there the other day, he purposely coughed on someone, said some choice words and walked out. What a d!ck. Then the HR person for a client exposed all the staff to Covid, over half got it, an older gentleman died. She plays these videos all day about the unconstitutionality of masks, how Covid numbers are fake to create a police state and just other really crazy crap. I can only go there on Monday mornings and she is not allowed around me because I am upset she purposely exposed people.

Our hospitals have stopped visits again, are stopping procedures and business are closing walk in services, voluntarily.

I just do not understand why people cannot wear a f'ing mask. Has anyone heard or bought these new Leaf masks? They are supposed to be self cleaning, clear and more effective. I was offered one yesterday but dont know.

Oh, and I miss fountain pop, Pepsi but I cannot stomach getting one.
(3)

Stacy,
I have given up my own frustration with others and now I only worry about me. I sure have less problem with what people believe and what they do while I am well masked. I use really good material in my own masks; when I am in anyplace where I cannot social distance I wear an N95. If people choose to infect themselves and their families, well, to me that's basically Darwinian. I think it is a sweet and lovely sentiment that we wear masks to protect others, and I WOULD indeed like to protect others, but the truth is now that I take care of myself. Before the election I was quite naughty about the whole thing, hoping folks didn't mask, thereby might be laid up while they should be voting. Only kidding, but I CAN be perverse. Like I said, at this point I am more "Every man for himself".
The whole Hospital and LTC thing is heartbreaking. My bro died in May; it was so tough. We are in that now again.
I miss junking. I think some of my favorite places are open again, but I basically am just not doing it, or the city buses I so love. I am more OK with getting this than my partner; he won't let me put him at risk.
(3)

At the assisted living and skilled nursing we own, we test weekly. All employees and residents. Huge expense, but what was recommended to us by state. Not mandatory. We provide N95 masks to all employees. All persons entering must wear masks. Both employees and visitors complain constantly about our policies. I feel like all I hear is complaints. It’s a no-win situation.
(3)

Bridger, under the CARES Act, money was allocated to state safety agencies for grants. So, for masks, PPE, any renovations, testing, you fill out the grant application and submit an estimate. Once approved, the state agency, mine is MIOSHA, will give you back half up to $5 grand per year. Health care and schools get top priority, then construction, restaurants, etc.
(0)

Bridger, I can't imagine what you are going through knowing the suffering, doing all you can to protect everyone, and having to field a whole mess of angry and frustrated folks on the other side. Thanks for all you are doing for everyone in your care.
(2)

We’re aware of CARES Act. Most gra nt money was distributed quickly.
(0)

Government fiscal years start in October. Most people do not know that some grant money for safety opened back up October 1st.
(0)

Our governor determined that the remaining money in our state will be used for rental assistance, the arts, local businesses, etc. We are a corporate entity and are a for profit facility. We have appealed. My states fiscal year runs July 1 - June 30.
(1)

Word out now. San Francisco's restaurants going back into shut down. They were at 25% capacity. I think not doing well even with that and take out. The cost of delivery of food up too high and either they absorb cost or the public does. People have given up on the fine dining experience alla plexiglass I think.
Problem for me now IS plexi. Wherever I go I am divided by that shield. There at the bank, corner veggie market, everywhere. Given my right ear already doesn't hear so well, now with the combo of that and the plexiglass I am virtually down to lip reading.
But back to the restaurants. The bookstores. So many dreams just going DOWN so fast. So sad to see.
(2)

For 10 years I worked for a small commercial real estate company that had been in business for over 50 years. It was just my boss who was in his 80's and could run circles around anyone half his age, and myself, also a senior. Our Agents all worked from home regularly. We shut the office in March as other offices in the building were doing the same thing because of the virus.

On a Monday in April, my boss was playing golf.... on that Wednesday he was in the hospital.... on that Friday he passed from Covid-19. It happened so quickly.

I remember conversations in February and March about the virus and the boss thought it was a media hoax... then he thought in April it will be going away... that the scientist didn't know anything. I am still in shock. It was so hard coming back to the office to shut down the business forever.

We use to joke that we wouldn't retire unless it came time that we needed Uber to get us to and from work :)

Well, I am ready for the second wave, I finally found a can of Lysol after 11 months :P Too bad other companies, besides Clorox, weren't making this very important product. It's crazy having to wait this long because it was always out of stock.
(0)

It’s depressing! Anxiety is rising again. I become exhausted just thinking about it. Only one thing on my mind which is, when will it end?
(3)

It is hard enough keeping safe for myself.
But how will I protect my husband and myself when he does not have the mind to practice safety? Does it have to fall on me to say he cannot go around talking to store clerks only two feet away, or hugging someone goodbye who is not wearing a mask?

I have asked what is his plan for social distancing, no answer. I am just worn out now.
(2)

The schools here opened on October 30th, were closed again November 6th due to Covid clusters. The health dept has said there are so many cases that they are not able to notify people exposed or give test results in a timely manner. The state rolled out a phone app where if you test positive, you put in a pin and it notifies people around you. The problem is it only works over bluetooth and you need to trust others to be responsible. Covid has shown me how we as a country are not prepared.
(2)

I was in the hospital yesterday. I really did not want to go but I had a possible blood clot (I’m at risk for them). I am home now, but now I wait (what is it 14 days?) to see if I have Covid. There was a lady in next room coughing pretty bad, so I am a little worried 😟
(2)

I was thinking about how I've changed since the pandemic started. I am now quite selfish. I have done the right things for months now, and am just sick and tired of the virus deniers. My school system decided they know better than the national experts, and have 3' of space between desks and will allow up to 44 kids/school bus.

I don't go out much, and our office has become part of our bubble, since our 3 employees are still teleworking. If I have to go inside anywhere other than our office (which is rare; we do grocery pickup), I wear an N95 with a cloth mask on top of that (mostly so I don't get comments re the N95).

I want to get the vaccine. I hope we don't give it away to other countries until every American and German (collaborated with Pfizer) who wants to gets vaccinated.
(4)

My area, the spike is frightening. Over the last week, 19.6% percent positive, that was on Monday, last report which is supposed to be updated daily. Yesterday on the news, 75 teachers in this school district, tested positive. They are back to online learning.

Next door neighbor tested positive on Tuesday. Now family is under quarantine. Neighbor's wife now with mild symptoms thought about not being tested. Don't know if she will or not. So, how accurate are the numbers? Are they really double since spouses often don't get tested since spouse has it, they must also have it? And they have two kiddos are they assumed positive and included in the numbers?

Next door neighbor is very good friends with a member of one of my committees. I asked that neighbor to zoom the meeting earlier this week because we don't have enough space in the room. Now thank goodness I did that, otherwise everyone else there would have been exposed. Another member did not attend, he had a "cold" but I doubt he was tested.

The way of the world. Those that feel it is a hoax and those that think it will never get them, as in the neighbors case.

The best we can do is to take all precautions for ourselves. You cannot depend on others. Stay safe all and do your part.
(4)

Today was interesting, since you either love or hate the govenor and all her powers were stripped. The CEOs of the 8 major health care systems held a televised press conference about how bad it is and measures taken. Maybe people will listen to them or maybe it is wishful thinking.
(2)

My mother's place had seven staff members and 10 residents come down with it in June. I think about three of the residents died. My mother didn't catch it, and I attribute that to the fact that she has a private room.

Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't go through again. She's fighting a wound infection now, and I don't know if she'd sail through everything a second time.

I'm looking forward to more consistent messaging coming from the new administration, but January 20 seems like years away at this point.
(1)

MJ1929,

Wishing your mom all the best in her facility regarding Covid. Hoping her wound heals soon.

I too am hoping for more coming this January, transparency and a better plan with the new administration.

The end of Covid can’t come soon enough!
(1)

I’ve been hesitant to share much about our experience as it’s been much like Nathaniel Hawthorne’s Scarlett Letter, which I find beyond ridiculous. But I’ll dive in and hope for the best here. Due to someone related by marriage to a relative of mine being completely careless, during the time our family had just gone through the loss of my sweet dad last summer, Covid ran through our family. We all had it, including several high risk relatives and elderly people. There were about 12 of us total. 3 had fever for a couple of days, everyone was congested and unusually tired, some had coughs and sore throats. For me, I was tired and felt like I had a cold. Anyone we told about it treated us like crap, I don’t even know how to describe it, but it was needlessly rude. No one went looking for Covid and no one tried to pass it around. It was passed before anyone knew it was there. Within a week it was gone. I very much recognize how blessed we were in it. As far as testing, after being initially tested we were consistently told there was no need for retesting, there was zero follow up from any medical professional, no attempt at any contact tracing, just nothing. We were very much on our own. I finally initiated a telemedicine call with our family doctor who told me all was good and it any of us ever got it again, it would be much milder. It was already mild. Again, I know it isn’t that way for everyone. I throughly hate that a sickness has become a political football, and all the controversy that’s taken the place of kindness and compassion for those dealing with it. I think we’ll one day look back on this with regret at many of the ways we handled ourselves
(5)

Heard a traveling nurse who came back into nursing simply to treat covid patients. She has a contract now in Michigan. Was on NPR segment today telling about how hard it is to be in the hospital, where staff is burning out and they cannot give good enough care because of short staffing, and to have to hear people she is intubating for the ventilator crying and saying they didn't take it seriously. They didn't believe it existed. Then she walks out to go home and half the populace she passes are not masked. I cannot imagine the frustration of being in nursing now.
(5)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter