Follow

Some of you are aware that my 87-yr old MIL is in LTC, survived 4 weeks of covid this past May, but made a full recovery. Just got an email from the facility that a staff member tested positive. Covid numbers are very high here in MN but the death rate is lower than the first round. This is a morbid thought but it will be really interesting (and nerve wracking) to see if she has natural immunity this time and what happens to the resident population of her wing. I will post what, if anything, happens. Hope everyone's LOs are staying well!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Yes, it is back with a vengeance and as you observed, fewer deaths but more infection. Apparently is, according to NPR last night, on the rise the most in our youth, but of course that means bring it "home" to the elders. I thought the virus might be weakening a bit, as the do when they are not "novel". But I guess it is more our treatment of the ill in hospital improving with knowledge and the fact it is the young, often asymptomatic getting it. The vaccine will take time, but apparently is on the way. Lots of problems with amounts that will be available, the storage (must be lower than freezing) and other logistics, but this is quick work. The ribbon apparently goes to Pfizer, working with Germany in this world wife race; but time will tell.
(1)

"Geaton777,"

I agree that it will be both "interesting and nerve wracking" to see if your MIL has a natural immunity to the virus this time around as it will be with my mom. She is 95 and survived COVID which she got at her previous LTCF this past April/May too and made a full recovery except not being able to walk or dress herself anymore.

Living in the desert southwest, the weather is still nice enough to do outdoor visits and so far the new facility she's in and in the MC wing hasn't had any new cases of the virus with staff or residents but, we all know that can change on a dime.

The biggest unknown for both our cases is whether or not they can get it again this soon - not much is being said on that front. Actually, I don't think much is being talked about concerning the elderly population in general even though they are the most vulnerable. I feel like they want to just put them out to pasture with no regard to either them or their families but, that's just my own opinion.

Hope you will let us know how it turns out as time wears on and best wishes to you and your family in the meantime.
(0)

Yesterday's covid death toll in MN was 35, 19 were in NHs (so more than 50%) and a disproportionate amount were African American.
(1)

Just got an email from MIL's facility. One resident on her LTC floor now has covid, as does a resident in MC and one in Assisted Living (there was 0 in AL last round).

They sent the infected LTC patient out to a "Restorative Suites" facility instead of an internal "covid wing". They don't give any other info about the patient so don't know if they had covid before. The (hospice?) facility is 30 miles away. 30 miles! I wonder if they're allowing essential caregivers in...? Sure hope so.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter