Follow

Caregiving is stressful. Forums like this provide a great way for us to connect with others in similar situations, vent a little, find support, and glean information. All very helpful. But speaking for myself I wouldn't mind a little vacation too, even if it's only in my imagination. We've all wished at least ONCE that we could close our eyes and just Be. Somewhere. Else.

So...if you could snap your fingers right now and go anywhere at all, where would you go? A cafe in Paris? A tropical island? An archaeological dig in Peru? Share your dream getaway here, and maybe just for a little while we can "escape" vicariously through one another. Feel free to change your point of destination at any time.

As for me right now...it would be a hammock strung between two palm trees looking out over white sand and green-blue ocean with a frosty fruity DEFINITELY alcoholic beverage in one hand and a good book in the other....ahhhh, paradise!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I also would choose to go back in time above anywhere. I'd like to go to the Dairy Queen in San Antonio where my dad would take me for ice cream and I'd chatter to him about my life while he listened and proudly smiled at my innocence and enthusiasm. I'd give up every dollar I have for just one more hug from my dad. I loved that man more than anything. I miss him every single day.
(2)

Dear Bhenson, I would like to go back in time and spend the last ten months of my mother's life with her as well. But as for the nasty, narcissistic cobra I am currently caregiving, not a chance. Once is way more than enough!
(0)

Up up and away in a hot air balloon floating over a peaceful green valley like Napa Valley in California or somewhere similar.
(0)

Bhenson....I feel like that too....

I would LOVE a safari....that has always been a dream, as well, I am fascinated with nature always have been! There is a crazy video (8 minute) called "Battle at Kruger" you can look up on you tube. it is of the "circle of life/hunt" , It is amazing and not bad to watch! You should look!
(0)

Okay this one is different then the rest. I want to be teleported back to a year ago when I was taking care of my mom. I want to do it better and I want to talk to her more then i even did. Strange on this forum after I bit---d so much while taking care of her. I miss her.
(3)

yaya~of course you can join me, come and enjoy the family atmosphere of an Irish Pub. I will check out the you tube on the cheetahs, thank you for sharing.
(0)

Sharynmarie & Mishka - there's a video on YouTube you have to check out (if you haven't seen it already)...in the search box type in "cheetah on jeep, face to face, Masai Mara, Kenya". It's AMAZING!!
BTW sharynmarie, I saw your post about going to Ireland. Can I join you in that pub? I would love a pint of Guinness right now!
(1)

Mishka~I know what you mean, it is hard to see a predator hunting even when we understand this is necessary for their survival. I just want to them free, roaming their territory. I have hard time watching gazelles or other prey being taken down. I would cover my eyes!!
(0)

Bookluvr--my glass tree house that I had up for awhile is in Japan!!!! I'll go with you!

Sharynmarie- yes, an African safari. Sounds lovely. Can I sit in the middle of the jungles in my glass tree house and watch all the wild animals. But I would want to have blinds to close for when they hunt!! I do not like that part! Poor gazelles.
(1)

Today I want to teleport to the wilds of Africa. I know that sounds selfish with all that is going on with aids, rape and the overall treatment of African women but I want to see wild cats...I love the Cheetah especially. I visualize myself with my hubby watching the wildcats in their natural habitat. Here in the USA, I love the mountain lion, bobcats.
(0)

I wish I could teleport to Japan during their cherry blossom season. Imagine seeing rows upon rows of pink trees. And then, I would love to visit their unique gardens/temples that you see on postcards. After doing scenic tours, I would love to end my last few days shopping. Japan have such very unique and good quality stuff.
(1)

I will check it out jujubean, thanks!!! :0)
(1)

OOps there was a link to a clear bubble tree house in the middle of that first paragraph, Google bubbletree if you are interested!
(0)

To the one of us who wanted to live in a glass ball in a tree...here ya go
how ironic I saw this a minute before reading your teleport!!!

I would definitely be anywhere warm n tropical. I saw a St Lucia somewhere in the comments, that was a beautiful island, it will work or north shore of Kauai, Hawaii! Loaf in the sun with a good book, eat papaya n young coconut fresh off the tree, and catch some lobster fresh for dinner!! Scuba dive - Underwater is like nothing I have felt, totally in another world with no sounds or industry just amazing sites and critters everywhere Off the great Cayman trench you soar thru the water like your flying, no bottom in site! It is amazing! oh oh oh I wanna go!!!!
(1)

I would go to a high mountain with my two grown sons and my husband in Colorado. Take lots of good food, cold beer, and a camera. I would just sit there and be to them for a really long time. Absolutely no cell phones allowed......
(1)

I am being teleported to Ireland, soft rolling green hills, stone fences with wild blackberries growing over them, the scent of vegetation growing all around. Cool breeze driving down country roads and having to stop for a shepherd herding his sheep to another pasture, no worries, no hurry, just a relaxed state of being, stop at the local pub for fish and chips/malt vinegar and a pint ( Guinness of course), spending time with my relatives.
(1)

Awww, Yaya, go check your profile. I sent you something! :0)

Love all the responses on here!! Did you see-I found my glass tree house!! Today I want to go to Pamukkale. Been a dream of mine. But I don't think it is open for the public anymore but they would make an exception for me! :0)
(0)

Mama needs a new pair of shoes. I would teleport to Italy with an unlimited credit card that I didn't have to pay... or with so much money that paying would be no problem.
(1)

Feeling down and introspective today...wish I could teleport to the coast of Maine, sit and watch the waves crash on the rocks, feel the wind and spray on my face, smell the salt air, listen to the gulls and just drown in the power and beauty of nature. The ocean always has a way of helping me gain perspective....
(1)

I wish I could teleport to the good old days....
(1)

Eyerishiass, your Victorian mansion left solely to you sounds like Heaven on earth.
I will picture that in my mind when I need to get away--walking through the grounds taking pictures of sunlight streaming through the trees.
(1)

YUP... teleport me to the tellers windo at the bank where I cashed my first lottery check, then board a flight to Dubai... watched a special on this place. Right now I don't care that it is an Arab country... it is the most beautiful place I have seen yet. Luxurious of the Luxury spots on the globe!
-OR- get on that plane to a lush tropical location where the waiters come down to you on the beach and ask "May I get you anything?" Oh baby... been there once! Willing to do it again!!! :o)
(1)

Well, first I would like to have a picnic on the grounds of the Palace of Versailles in Paris. Then I would like to have an airplane (equiped with stewards to see to my EVERY NEED on the way to a secluded resort with white sandy beaches and blue waters. Of course, the stewards are welcome to come along to fan me with huge palms so won't get too hot. LOL Thanks for the daydream. Maybe I could skip Paris.
(2)

Mishka~You are more than welcome to join me. I would love you join you in your dome in the tree tops to witness a wild storm, the lightning all around lighting up the night sky. I have a similar fantasy of being in a beach house overlooking the sea with windows all around to witness the sea's rage during a major storm. Or spend a weekend in a lighthouse during the foggy season.
Yaya~I am glad my fantasy brought back great memories for you...I hope you were able to hear it, smell it and just let the tension roll off you.
(1)

Switzerland...... ya, that would be awesome
(0)

Before my dad required so much supervision I would run away on a weekend to a beautiful B&B about 4 hours west of here. My daughter would spend more time at home so my dad didn't feel abandoned and I felt safe in getting out of town for a day or two.

The B&B is a huge Victorian mansion nestled in the woods. The staff got to know me over time and at times I'd be the only guest for the entire weekend. The caretaker would lock me in real good and then retire to her quarters on the property. I would have this huge, gorgeous mansion to myself and I'd peek in the all the rooms (each room was decorated differently but in keeping with the Victorian theme). I'd bring my laptop and a couple of good books, a magazine or two and just relax all weekend. I'd take a bath in the clawfoot tub and then sink into the featherbed and read until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.

I know there are more exotic places on Earth but right this second, if I could teleport anywhere, that's where I'd go.

Or anwhere with a beach.
(6)

Bora Bora Lagoon Resort. One of the overwater bungalows, please. No phones, no tv's, just peace and lots of tropical fish!
(1)

Teleport me to the tellers window at the bank where I just cashed my first lotto check. Then on to the beach and then on to Minnesota to see my grandchild on my jet flown by my pilot. Then on the ground get into my limo driven by my driver.
(2)

Wow, such beautiful journeys - from the sublime to the exotic. Thnx for sharing everyone - keep 'em coming!! @Fedup - what a great story and what an admirable effort for such a worthy cause! Kudos! @Mishka - love the dome in the trees...I'm SO there!! @christina - order a margarita for me. @capnhardass - toke one up for me @Nancy - aw, my MIL always says "doughnuts are mostly air" @debralee- mmmmm, piña coladas and the Caribbean....and maybe Johnny Depp pouring the rum? @igloo - have you been to Uruguay? Would love to hear a story! And sharynmarie - I sat by a creek just like that once many years ago, in Rocky Mtn. National park. Thnx for bringing back a beautiful memory...you're right. It was bliss!
(3)

I want to wake up at Cascade Manor in Paarl, South Africa. Wine country. Delicious meals, waking up feeling like a princess in their comfy beds. I stayed there one night while cycling across South Africa to raise money for AIDS Ride South Africa, Ltd. 884 miles over 14 days on a bike in 2010. Hard work but these beautiful people donated to our charity a full nights lodging with dinner and breakfast. We had to leave the next day but if I could stay and walk around and take pictures, watch sunsets from the porch and savor the wines near their fireplaces, I would be there in a heartbeat. If you ever go there, please tell them we sent you. I can never repay their kindness on that long wonderful journey. Cycle on!
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter