Follow

Some of you may have followed me when my mother went through hospice and passed away on November 9. Toward the end, she was so ready to pass, and it was depressing to see her in that state.

Fast forward to today. Although I was emotional when we cleaned out her apartment in assisted living, I have felt an incredible sense of peace now that she has passed. I feel she is in a better place, and now I can get on with my own life without many of the uncertainties that were there before. As with many caregivers, now I feel I can get on with my life.

Sorry if this sounds selfish, but I just feel a sense of relief and peace now. I know there will be many others who understand.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I followed your story. I understand. Glad you and she have found peace. Thanks for updating.
(2)

I remember you dseag2. You are definitely not selfish. I am happy you're feeling peace and relief. Most of us would feel relief, too. I know I would.

My best wishes for the next stage of your life. Enjoy your newly found freedom.
(4)

What you've written makes perfect sense and no, it doesn’t sound selfish. Be well, my friend. Did your job well.
(4)

dseag, I am sorry for your loss and I rejoice for your peace.

Life ends and knowing that our loved one is ready to go, truly helps us in the new season we face.

She was blessed to have you. You did a tough job well.

May your future be filled with peace and happiness.
(4)

You were a good son. You did what you could to make life better for Mom. She lived a long life, maybe because of your care. I grieved for my Mom before her death. Watching her go thru every stage of Dementia. I didn't mourn her, as such, because her passing was a blessing. She was 89. She lived a good life. My problem is I tried to return to Church where we sat next to each other, in the same pew, sitting in the same spot for years. I just could not sit in that pew. Could not sit anywhere else either. You will have times when you tear up. Mine is when my friends talk about her. She loved having kids in her home. She treated them just like she treated her own kids.

My peace is knowing she is in good place. That she is whole again and young.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter