Follow

Couple weeks ago I went for cataract surgery. The surgery itself was a breeze. Since I had just one eye done, it was recommended that I have a clear lens place in my glasses until my eye settles in about 6 weeks, then new prescription will be done. Sounds easy enough.....

I went to a nationwide store-front lens place and ask for a clear lens. Well, they can't do that without a prescription from my eye doctor. Say what? Ok, we scrambled and got a prescription. There was so much confusion that I wasn't sure the lens place understood. I JUST WANT ONE CLEAR LENS.

Lo and behold a week later time to pick up the eyeglasses. The tech then tossed away two old lens. Whoa wait a minute.... 2 lenses ???? I only ordered one clear lens. Their policy is that for every pair of eyeglasses that 2 lenses are made. Like now they tell me? What a waste of money, plus the lenses don't feel right and I refuse to go back to this store-front lens place :P

So, if you or a love one is having cataract surgery, be aware when it comes to eyeglasses. Next time, I am going to use my eye doctor's optional selection even if it does cost more. At least I know it will be done right.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Are you talking about reading glasses? I spend between $500 and $600 for my glasses, progressive lenses, anti glare and nice frames.

Geeeeez, what a bargain you found! Are online glasses hard to fit? I have a tiny face. Sometimes I even find frames in the section of the store for teens. I’m very small so many frames are too big for me.

Same with everything though, clothes too. I can’t always find my size. I hardly ever get the sale stuff because it’s often big sizes that would swallow me.
(1)

Thanks for the info FF! My mom,
to just surprise, is going to have cataract surgery. I will pass this along to her.

If you went to the place I’m thinking of, we have one in our local mall, they are terrible and I am not surprised at the lack of communication. I went there once. Now I go to a real optometrist even though it costs more. Regardless of the confusion, they should have told you upfront you were paying for 2 lenses! I just took my daughter for her annual exam and her vision has gotten worse so I had to buy her new glasses and the optician went over every charge line by line. There was no confusion!
(1)

Why didn't you just order glasses online? I just picked up a few on sale for $5. Even the regular price is under $10. Yes, this is for prescription lenses.

I've been wearing online eyeglasses for about 20 years. They work great. Sometimes I go large and get the anti-reflective coating. That's another $5 though. It doubles the cost!
(1)

I really thank you for the information, because that is what the forum is best at, providing experience and information, so people can make their own best decisions going forward.
Again, thanks so much.
(1)

Geeeez, that sounds like a mess. I took my parents for cataract surgery and there was no issue whatsoever with either of them. I was told that I had the beginning of a cataract but have to wait until it’s ripe to be removed. Hope that there are no complications.

I hope everything works out okay for you.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter