Follow

I am trying to see if there would be support for a new discussion thread for caregivers that are trying to diet. A place that they could immediately go to for emotional support when the will gets weak. So many of us seem to ruin our health as soon as mom/pop moves in. We forgo our own MD appts., forget to take our meds, never hear any words of encouragement,give up on our own appearance, simply cease to exist as an individual. I don't want to replace the "whine" thread, it is very important and I use it myself.Also it seems many of use due to our caregiving situation are prisoners in the house and can't go to weight watcher meetings, support groups, live in rural areas etc. This could be a place as close as your computer. I look at this site even late at night, I would love to be of help to someone that is trying to stay out of the refrigerator at 3 AM. Just thought I would throw this out there to see if there is any interest.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
I'm doing low-carb, which has worked for me in the past. It works for me on several levels, actually - I seem to have an intolerance for starches and gluten, as well as sugars. I don't have celiac disease or anything like that, but grains (especially wheat) cause me to bloat, have digestive issues and if I eat enough of them, I actually start having an allergic reaction to them until they pass through my system. Completely not worth it, and low-carb/grain-free fixes that.

Once I get my pinched nerve issue taken care of, I will be walking more and exercising more. Right now I can't do much of that, but it's definitely on the list.

I'm giving myself 1 year from January 1, 2017 to lose at least 75% of the weight I need to lose before considering more drastic options (like surgery). If I am successful, surgery won't be necessary. I know I can do it, because I'm scared to have the surgery - so that's a pretty powerful motivator. I just go online and watch a few videos about the surgery and realize that candy bar, sweet treat or starchy food just isn't worth it.
(1)

SUPPORT FOR YOU HERE IN 2017 !

What is working for you to lose weight, or stop smoking?

MOVE MORE, EAT LESS IN 2017

Love,
from Sendme2help
(2)

Elizabeth, you talked about depression.. Do something that forces you to get exercise, even walking a certain distance each day will help. I don't know where you live, but the weather is just getting nice and the fresh air does one so much good in so many ways!! Hang in there!
(1)

Oh, boy. This is right up my alley. I've gained so much weight in the last year and a half of taking care of my aunt. Isolation leads to depression leads to cookies - which lead to me being out of shape and lazy, which is not good for either of us. Lately I've noticed I'm comforting myself with food and internet shopping - my own money, not hers lol - and I'm trying to learn to soothe myself with harmless things like tea or a good book. In theory. But this is really a struggle and I fear that I'm going to drop dead and leave her with nobody to care for her. Sad.
(1)

Thank you, timbuktu! Love your spirit. My attempts at reigning in my crazy eating have.....not been strong enough attempts to make a difference. Packed some apple slices and grapefruit slices in my lunch today. That way, my "fruit course" won't be Skittles! Trying to think positive and act accordingly. :-)
(1)

Love it! sendme. Actually I am fortunate he doesn't say negative things to me about my weight, we are both in the same boat. Only now he has diabetes.When he sees me limping it is just a reminder that we are both getting older and unhealthy. Have actually gotten him to check his blood sugar more often by getting him to check mine. And today have sorta of "tricked" him into getting out into the garden today to help me put some electrice tape around the bean garden to keep the dogs/horses out of them,every little step counts. Diet wise I am doing pretty good,dealing with emotional triggers is ongoing. My weigh in will be tomorrow, keeping it to Mondays,.Have joined an online diet group for some friendly competition and we weigh in on Mondays and they post the list on Tuesdays.Have read thru many of the posts today and I can feel the frustration/aggravation/anger. Please ,again, do something for yourselves,don't be a martyr.I am actually going to make a dentist appt. for myself next week, something I haven't done in 2 yrs.Just love all of y'all!
(3)

A recent study has shown that women carrying a little weight live longer than the man mentioning it.
(7)

I, too find that extra weight can make my knees hurt when I am on my feet too much. I just have to watch that I do not take too long a rest!! Hang in there! And God Bless!
(0)

I totally agree tacy,however, for right now I need the scale.It has been a wake up call. Right now the safest exercise I can do is walking and even that has been threatened by my knee pain which I am sure my increased weight has aggravated.I have trouble bending over,getting on and off the toilet, picking my legs up just to get in some shorts. I am very committed to getting this weight off and not by starving. My house is getting cleaner as I am using that as exercise at present,lots of walking and bending, taking a break when I need it.
(1)

Well, I weighed myself this morning and it ain't good news. Somehow I have managed to gain 4lbs. and now weigh 260lbs. However, last night I made it a whole day staying on my diet so I am more determined than ever to stick to it. My right knee hurts constantly and is a reminder during those emotional moments with mom to just hang on, it will pass. All her chemo is finished and she turned down the radiation which I think at 80 was a good decision.I have a little calendar book at my bedside that I keep looking at because for the whole month of April there are NO md appts. I just keep looking at it and it makes me feel good.Only md's she will see this month will be at the ER if she needs it.
(0)

I know exactly where my eating problem is from . It lies in a bedroom directly across the hallway from my bedroom. I am a very emotional eater, never eat because I am hungry.But now , I am starting to have some health issues because of my weight and I am starting to feel a determination I haven't felt in a long time. My husband is a food enabler. He knows my mother makes me miserable and in his way he uses food to "help". It's not like he puts a gun to my head to make me eat, it is my responsibility. I am not on a crash diet, integrating portion control with my meals, trying to deal with the emotional triggers from "Mommy Dearest".Maybe the silver lining with my weight gain and subsequent health issues is that I don't really have the bone crushing guilt at present. I take very good care of a person I do not like and who has let me down at times when I really needed a mother.My husband recently had surgery for an age related ailment and right now I just really feel like taking good care of him and me. We have been together for 30yrs. That is much longer than I ever lived with my mother.The woman would not be alive today if I had not intervened in her care.It will take at least 1 yr. to safely lose 100lbs. I know I am starting a long journey.
(2)

You’re Not Eating Enough Calories to Lose Weight
by Tony Schober ·
The majority of the time when you’re having a problem losing weight, it’s not because you aren’t making good food choices. The reason why your weight loss has stagnated is because you’re not eating enough calories to lose weight.

What Happens When You’re Not Eating Enough Calories?

When most people start dieting, they slash their calories and add a large amount of exercise to their daily routine. That’s fine, but they usually cut their calories way too low. Add in the extra exercise, and all of a sudden you have an extreme calorie deficit that is working against you.

Not eating enough calories causes many metabolic changes. Your body is a smart machine and senses a large decrease in dietary energy. Your large calorie deficit might work for a few days or even weeks, but eventually your body will wake up and sound alarms that it needs to conserve energy.

It doesn’t want to just waste away. It needs that energy (fat) to survive. So, what does your body do when it senses prolonged energy restriction? Not eating enough calories…

Slows down thyroid production – Your thyroid is responsible for fat, carbohydrate, and protein metabolism, among other things. Your body has the ability to slow down thyroid output in an effort to maintain energy balance [1].
Decreases muscle mass – Muscle is highly calorie intensive to maintain. In a prolonged extreme calorie deficit, it is one of the first things that your body looks to get rid of, especially if you’re not providing a stimulus to keep it. Your body needs the fat, wants the fat, and the muscle can be spared. It breaks down the muscle tissue and uses it for energy.
Lowers testosterone levels – An important hormone for both men and women, testosterone is just one of many hormones that are affected with severe calorie restriction [2]. Testosterone is anabolic to muscle tissue. Without it, it becomes that much harder to maintain, let alone put on muscle mass.
Decreases leptin levels – Leptin is one of many energy regulating hormones. More importantly, it’s a “hunger” hormone that tells you whether to eat or not. High leptin levels signal that it’s OK to stop eating, while low leptin levels are a signal to eat more energy. Because of this, leptin levels decrease in calorie restricted environments [3].
Decreases energy levels – There are many physical actions your body takes when you’re not eating enough calories, but there are also some mental ones. Neurotransmitter production is limited, which can lead to a lack of motivation. It’s your body’s way of telling you to “slow down” – conserve your energy.
How Many Calories Should You Be Eating?

Your goal should be to eat as many calories as possible and still lose weight. You always want to start high and then come down with your calorie intake. It’s much easier to do this than come up in calories after your weight loss has stalled and you’ve lost all your motivation.

How many calories should you eat? There is no perfect number. Each person’s metabolism is different. Someone who’s undereaten their entire life and is sedentary will need far fewer calories than the person who exercises a lot and has an active job.
(0)

sendme2help ,
i dont agree with that . many people have achieved phenomenal weight losses by stepping away from the fork .
my late 93 yr old aunt kept diabetes ! in check for 30 yrs by eating meals from a saucer .
(0)

I don't have the correct words to put this out there, but research this:
If you are dieting and don't eat enough calories for that, you will not lose weight.
Not eating will not work. You will not lose fat, but something else.
(1)

an average body doesn't really exist and BMI is no indicator if you happen to be extremely fit as in a boxer because of the muscle size and weight. However if you are grossly overweight (as I am) you need to consider your age lifestyle (i.e. exercise level) height etc. For my height and weight I can consume about 1500 cals a day and still lose weight. however if I was much lighter then it will be probably around 1100 calories a day to lose weight unless I exercise heavily. Tay that ,such soda is not good for you hun, I know its not as nice but water would do you a lot more favours health wise xxxxx
Says me who also drinks far too much of the stuff
(1)

i read something today by a certified nutritionist . he said if you take your body weight x 10 , thats the amount of calories that your body will burn each day even without additional exercise . that sounds right to me because im 175 and have read that 1750 calories a day or less should be my guideline . my weight doesnt ever change but most days i stay well below the 1750 .
i think his formula is credible . you wont gain if you stay below your upper limit number . the bad part is , one fast food meal can go as high as 2 thousand calories so you f ' ed that particular day up . i dont eat fast food because of the economics . aint no dam hamburger worth an 8 dollar bill . they can cram it .
(0)

Tacy Wow, I didn't even know those tests were available? All of the women in our family are chubby too! I'll definitely be looking into that, but I bet it costs a fortune! Grrr!
(0)

Had a good talk with husband. He has already been diagnosed as a diabetic meds controlled. However, in trying to encourage him to check his bs I ask him to check my fasting bs and they have been a litlle high. I believe I am at a crossroads of my health.Food is my form of valium.
(0)

I think that's a great idea!
(0)

Well , starting over again. More explanation under whine thread.
(0)

Those extra calories in chicken come from the Skin and whatever coating is used. I skin it and trim fat and then I bake it! I think it is pretty much just chicken that way. We need veggies to go with the meat to make a well balance meal! The meat takes so long to get digested and the veggies are quick to digest, so the full feeling last longer when we have the combo!!
(3)

Chicken has more calories than beef. ,So I am told.
Anyone trying vegetables only?
(0)

timbuktu, way to go sticking to the diet. I eat fried chicken, since my mother likes it. I pull off the skin. I think that gets rid of most of the fat. Fried okra -- who could say no. It's not so good cooked any other way... except maybe soups and gumbo. Fried okra is food from heaven, so it has to be good for us. Right?
(0)

Well, I meant to check in about 8 central time but fell asleep. I had a pretty good day diet wise, had a good talk with husband about him buying me comfort food.Did not eat ANY of the Hershey chocolate cake he had bought. I did however eat a small portion of fried okra and very small pieces of fried chicken breast. No binge eating today despite some momma drama.Just feeling really protective of myself. I have done all I can for my mother, but I just can't make her 30 years younger.Well, got an early morning, husband having carpal tunnel surgery in am,keeping fingers crossed that mom doesn't try to "upstage" this. She got so dramatic today about her ailments I offered to call an ambulance and I would have but she turned me down. Just have to focus on my health, I am doing all I can for her.
(3)

Timbuktu, how do we figure out what time 8 p.m. is-according to the times that AC posts next to our posts? I am on PST, you are on Central? Wish I had some good dieting report to contribute-but I have been so very casual about a desperate health issue. Still thinking of committing to a diet plan-because, watch out, when I am ready, I will lose weight!
(1)

Cwillie, how many chocolate bunnies will it take?

Where is the best sale?

I am on a diet....
What did you eat?...
I ate eggs....
Scrambled?...
No, Cadbury.

Borrowed this.
(1)

Jesse, We really should not provide a temptation, but do you think the lines will be too long tonight?

My husband was trying to tell me that refilling plastic water bottles was okay, -because (even though it is written on the bottles), there is already so many toxins since the water is transported through plastic. With his ability to rationalize, I told him to get back to me after his vitanins take effect.
So, here is my attempt at twisted rationale:
Since a small amount of chocolate satisfies, it is good for someone on a diet because it takes up the space that would be filled with more food and more calories if you had something else. lol.
(1)

Chocolate bunny. Yum. I started to buy one yesterday, but the checkout line was too long. I decided I didn't want to wait through it. You make me wish I had now. I also had a bag of half-price Robin Eggs and mini Cadbury eggs. My waistline thanks that long line that made me put things back.
(2)

Mom's been calling and calling, and I'm eating a chocolate bunny.
I'm still within the normal BMI range so I lie to myself and say it doesn't really matter if I put on a few pounds. Of course both my parents had heart trouble by the age of 60.
(1)

I've joined a low-carb group on Facebook that is very, very supportive. No judgements if you fall off the wagon, just some friendly butt-kicking to get you back in gear, and they've started a summer weight loss challenge. I've joined that too. I am traveling to GA to see my youngest son graduate from basic training this August and I'd like to be 30-40 lbs down by then. Totally doable if I stay on track.
(3)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter