Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
3 4 5 6 7
Okay, made it thru the day. Having to take this day by day with the usual mama drama mixed in. Hope everyone and their LO;s are settling in for the nite. Hope, hugs to you and your mom for a peaceful nite. To all the others with elders that don't sleep well thru the nite which means neither do you ,Big HUGS.
(0)

Okay, hope everybody was able to do at least one thing just for themselves today.My next 3 songs on my housework play list are #4 Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson,# 5 is Crazy by Gnarls Barkley and # 6 is I'm Shipping up to Boston by the Dropkick Murphys. Got myself tucked in bed far from the refrigerator.Weigh in this coming Monday.
(1)

Well, made it thru another day without binge/emotional eating.Walked 2 miles and did various forms of housework as these are interpreted into calories, like vacuuming, window washing, mopping and sweeping.Have to weigh in on Monday, having an online contest with few other people (who by the way do not care for any elderly parent at this time, at home or in NH).Alright, I just know you can't wait for the next three songs on my housework playlist.#7 is Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People. #8 is "Bad Things (from True Blood,a fav of mine) and #9 is "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood and the Destroyers.Momma can't bother me when I have my headphones on and rocking in another world while I dust, do laundry, vacuum, pick up after her dogs, clean out her bedside commode, change water in her cpap, gotta make up her week meds tomorrow,make sure she is fed, had a bm, and no matter what her complaints were today as long as it didn't involve 911 or banging her surgical foot with 2 inches of titanum steel pins sticking out, I guess that makes me golden.
(2)

Oh, I used to love the True Blood song. It was so evil feeling. I wasn't able to watch True Blood after leaving TX. My mother doesn't subscribe to HBO and I don't have another TV. (Absolutely no room for one, so I watch TV on my desktop computer.) You made me want to see the last few seasons of it. Sookie was so cool.
(0)

Ugh! Weighed in at 243,up by 2 lb. I think I have hit a plateau again. Have 3 MD appts. for mom this week,God give me strength!
(1)

i made it thru another day. Gonna get in the bed ,get comfortable and then I will be to lazy to get up to the kitchen. So far painting my nails seems to help, tonight they are purple with glitter topping.Mother's podiatrist call, the culture they did last wed. came back positive for pseudomonas, now have to be on a new antibiotic,
(1)

timbuktu, small fluctuations don't mean much. Water is heavy and we hold onto it some time. Still, it can take away from that feeling of reward from losing weight.

I have a feeling that soon we're going to be hearing 235.

I hope the Pseudomonas responds quickly to the antibiotic. My special needs rabbits used to get it sometimes when their fur stayed damp. I can see why they might thrive on feet. I go barefoot as much as possible to try to keep my feet dry, but I know one day I'd have to be shod all day long. It's the way of life.
(0)

thanks for the support.
(0)

Hi timbuktu and all :-) I'm 3 days sober! It's funnier saying it that way - tho my husband thinks its inappropriate. Anyway, I started the no-alcohol part of my diet Nov 1st as planned. So far I'm doing fine. There was a slight hiccup in the fact that Oct 31st brought packaged candy into the house. Hopefully I'm not just substituting calories!

I like the playlist idea for getting chores done. I used to call my long distance friends when I was doing housework and use them for distractions. I also did that while sitting on the recumbent bike to pass the time.

Mom is 24/7 right now and just about as high intensity as you can imagine so we don't do much housework and no exercise. Which totally sucks. We did find a local caregiver willing to do some nights so I get to sleep the whole night and in my bed (not Mom's sofa) 2-3 nights a week. Yay! I feel like a new person. We're maybe a month out from having a lot more in-home help. @#$% the bureaucratic paperwork !@#$ ;-) But at least we know help is coming.

Until then I'll just stay off the booze and save some money while I'm at it - and check in here to see how all of you are doing.
(1)

I will add the rest of my play list tomorrow. I just know I have it a plateau. So aggravating.But I weigh in again Mon. am. The weather has been against me as for walking but just doing more housework.
(1)

I am dancing inside, the scales finally dipped a fraction. I know I'll never be my ideal 20 year old weight again, but I don't want to keep on with the yearly creep upward either. They say after menopause we need to decrease the calories and increase the exercise, but it was stating to feel like a life sentence of hard labour with no reward.
(2)

Good for you CW! Still I stand at 243lb. It has to come off,it just has to , I know I am not eating in my sleep, to many dogs to crawl over to get out of bed without making a lot of noise.Does oxygen have calories?
(1)

Just lost my entire post arrgh! The next 3 songs from my housework playlist are #7 isEnjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode # 8 is Hey Man, Nice Shot by Filter and #9 is Hey Ya! (Radio Mix/Club Mix) by Outkast
(0)

When I get to the last song of my housework mix it is 4 minutes and 45 seconds, I can tell when it is about to start and I play a game of what can I do in 4:45 because then i would have been moving nonstop for 56 minutes, that is how long the playlist, you should take a break after that long of constant movement,if mommy dearest can't do without you at her side for 56 minutes the caregiving arrangement should be reassessed because the caregiver is probably killing themselves slowly without realizing it.Feeling like the Diet DJ DIVA-lol,got all my laundry done. Be amazed what you can get done in 4 minutes and 45 seconds,remember slow is smooth,smooth is fast.!
(1)

Oh Lord! I think 243 is the only number on my scale.I have not gone off my diet.My body is holding onto this weight with a grim vengence. Okay, the rest of the playlist is Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri,Into a Swan(a personal favorite) by Siouxsie, Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in my Hand by Primitive Radio Gods and Hold me, Thrill me,Kiss me, Kill me, by U2. the playlist should be a total of 16 songs, if that doesn't add up let me know. i did add one song to the originals so the lenth of the list should be just under or at 60 minutes long. Great way to pass the time doing the mundane housework, because at the last song you know break time is coming, so unless mumsy is on fire, TAKE A BREAK!
(1)

Timbuktu....I have one of those scales too....Maybe we can buy one with a different number? I was reading your playlist and got to the Hold me, Thrill me, Kiss me...and i'm thinking yay...Mel Carter...then I saw the rest of it....Kill me?? ha...can't say as I've heard that one...I'd like to be a fly on the wall when you're doing your housework to those tunes...
(0)

The last song is actually from a Batman movie. I did my 2 mile walk today, this weight is coming off whether it likes it or not.
(2)

Timbuktu, it is so very frustrating to lose your entire post but not any weight. I can relate, being more conscious of the food intake has resulted in gaining one pound. Then, not being able to move more won't help until broken ankle heals, but I am dancing to the music in my head.
(1)

FINALLY! I am back to 241lb. It has only taken me 2 weeks to get back to 241. I can't believe it has taken me this long to get back to it. Can't go walking because of all the rain and Mother is stuck up here with us because she can't go outside because of her foot and is having cabin fever.
(3)

240lb this AM. Haven't seen that number in a long time. The weather right now is against me as it has rained solid for the last 3 days and we are all getting cabin fever. Most of my exercise is cleaning up after the dogs as NO ONE wants to go outside to do their business, however, they will run outside after an "accident" to chase a squirrel.
(1)

If anyone is struggling weight loss - you need your thyroid checked and hormones balanced. For women over the age of 35, progesterone levels decline and this leads to estrogen dominance - and this leads to difficulty in losing weight. Google estrogen dominance and its symptoms and you'll quickly see how too much estrogen is so bad for the body. The thyroid is responsible for controlling metabolism; if your thyroid is not balanced, this will also cause difficulty in losing weight no matter how you exercise or watch the foods you eat.
(0)

For myself, I know my thyroid is okay, had it checked out,. However, I am on antidepressants and they are notorious for weight gain but I do need them. I also know the basic of any diet, if you take in fewer calories than you burn you WILL lose weight. The key is to keep a healthy diet, not just cut calories,keep the healthy calories,do not walk around hungry.
(1)

So over on the pet peeves thread, Hope has found a way to lose 8 pounds overnight.
As teens, we used to joke we could lose 10 pounds overnight by cutting off our head.
If I focus on losing weight, I gain weight.
So, more steamed veges for me please. My husband loves to eat that way.
Hope everyone has some success this week!
(0)

So last night I cooked some grilled salmon with veggies. My mother asked me why I didn't bread and fry it. I told her, "It's salmon... and I won't to live longer than tomorrow." My mother would fry orange juice if she could.

Fried salmon steak -- imagine.
(0)

Anything fried and I would eat it. Well,I can't believe it but I hit 239lbs. this AM. Walking has made a big difference.I feel so much more empowered by taking at least an hour for myself, totally just for me,.It has helped me say NO and mean it, that "I can't possibly do that" and that this come from a position of strength and not weakness. I deal with a passive/aggressive narcissistic 70yr.old woman EVERY day.
(3)

You all are such an encouragement to the rest of us!! Thank you for posting your progress.
I am so glad that you time for yourself has made a big difference. We always know these things should help, walking, eating right, taking care of ourselves, etc. It is just great to hear that it really works!!
(0)

Timbuktu, the walking is key, you are right! Thanks for helping us as you are helping others.
Planning that thanksgiving meal is also a good idea! Instead of hating what you did and calling it a slip, plan to have a good amount, guilt free, then resume the following week. Making it only one day is better than slipping up the entire holidays. We will get through!
(0)

Another plateau.Still 239 this am but that is better than going up. Everybody please take at least 30 minutes a day, break it up into 3 ten minute walks, it does work,will help with your thinking/emotions. Exercise is as important as taking your meds and don't forget to take those.Caregiving for someone doesn't mean you forfeit your life.

e
(2)

I sometimes think oxygen has calories. Well,my morning just got better and better,lol! Actually my morning started last nite when my poodle attacked my boxer who defended himself by grabbing crazy poodle by the neck and I grabbed a very upset boxer by the hind legs and pulled them up,(please don't anyone do this as I took a very big chance of getting hurt which I did anyway,but it does put them off balance) boxer let go, I tried to assess damage to crazy poodle who then bit the cr*p out of my left index finger. As said poodle other than being a little bit bloody but otherwise okay I "let sleeping dogs lie". So this morning as I am getting ready to take crazy poodle to vet, Mom Dearest announces "I have a red spot on my nose" which she did (from cpap mask) . Drop dog at vet ,run home get mom, go to "doc in the box" for her and me, she gets topical med, I get oral antibiotics and a tetanus shot ,run back home and drop mom off , then make 80 mile round trip to get her morphine prescription filled and then will pick up hopefully sedated crazy poodle this afternoon. I picked a H*ll of a time to start a diet.
(0)

Timbuktu, Oxygen does have calories, I think it is 2, as in O-2? The same with water, calories are H-2-O? Or something like that. (Laughing can burn calories).
Hoping that I'm not myth-ing some-thin here.
(1)

3 4 5 6 7
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter