Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
Great idea Timbuktu!

I'm hoping to do a couple trips up and down the stairs for some exercise, maybe dance to a good song on the radio or something.
(0)

Well, I thought if I broke up the exercise into small increments it wouldn't be so intimidating.The time will add up, but after doing the chores of everyday like laundry,vacuuming,mother's physical needs, critter care the 10 minute walks are starting to look more like relaxing time instead of exercise.
(1)

Goodie thats what I like to see, people starting to move their body's, makes me want to also! Arm circles and short walks YES! I cleared off my exercise bike and sat on it.... my legs couldnt help but peddle a bit :)
Its hard with arthritis season starting, but extra weight doesnt help the knees either! Keep going guys!!
(1)

Okay,starting the morning.Already making excuses.If I can't stop "mom caring" for 10 minutes at a time I need to reevaluate my caregiving situation if I can't even do exercise for myself that doesn't include household chores,yard care,critter care.
(1)

I did it! (1) 10 minute walk,took my cell phone and calendar book with me. A big reason that I have allowed to keep me housebound is waiting for callbacks from MDs,or other affairs that concern mother and maintaining property.So,no excuses,had my cell phone, sure enough, walked 6 minutes ,get a MD call, stopped my stopwatch,conducted business in the middle of the yard with dogs chasing the cats and vice versa with me intermittently having to do dog play toy mediation,business done, started stopwatch and walking.I am out of shape.Even though I believe I do a lot of housework walking just 6 minutes on level ground without stopping,temp 73 degrees I am breathing hard and sweating,no chest pain but my legs feel it.Well, just two more 10 minute intervals today.Find myself thinking I don't have time for this. However, I must take this time.It's just as important as driving to the pharmacy today,then getting groceries,then getting critter food,also the laundry (gathering,washing and putting away) and vacuuming.I did remember to take my own meds this AM. Let me know if anybody else went for a walk today.
(1)

Good for you Timbuktu!

I walked this morning.. but not a fast walk as I have to walk my elderly (15 year old) dog. It takes 20 minutes to walk her and we go VERY slow.. she used to be a great way for me to get exercise but it has turned into me using up a good 20 minutes. I try to at least use that time to clear my head. I'm going to try to go on another walk later today by myself.

I agree with all who are fitting exercise in whenever they can. I work from home and try to stop and do a set of squats or get on the stationary bicycle for a few minutes. Usually if I tell myself just do a few minutes I end up actually going longer then expected.

I am now at the heaviest I have ever been. When I got my parents out of their home last summer and they stayed in mine while trying to get them a senior apt.. that is when I put the weight on.. it was such a stressful time and I was trying to entertain my Dad with going out to eat and food. Of course I was the one who packed on the pounds.. Dad is the same size.

Since last summer I really haven't put any more weight on but I am not losing it either. I think I need to stick to it better .. both exercising and eating right.
In my younger years I was always in great shape... I can't believe I let myself get to this point.

Have a great day everyone!
(2)

Good AM KK.I understand about elderly dogs. Mine range from 13yrs. to 6 months.
(0)

Great thread!! Anything that helps us hold ourselves accountable to ourselves is wonderful!! I do floor exercises as it is easier on my knees, but many of the other exercises I could also do to speed up this slow process!!
(0)

Great getting on your exercise bike Mica! Way to go!

Hey Timbuktu, Your walk required some planning but you made it and didn't miss that impt doc call. So funny about doggie toy mediation. Still chucklin about that one!

KatieKay, wonderful! you made time for the doggie walk even if it was low speed and that you are planning one later!

Any good food choices to report? I was so motivated by this discussion that I picked up oatmeal rather than hot cakes and sausage for breakfast and got a pineapple mango smoothie for lunch instead of a burger and ice cream treat. I am pretty excited about this.

What is everyone planning on eating that is healthier?

Oh, and I actually took time to put some type of age rewind skin cream on my face last night. Haven't done that for months.

We deserve to treat ourselves well!
(0)

Vicky, I have been avoiding the floor, so I am really impressed with the floor exercises you are doing! There are really a lot of exercises we can do without getting to a gym.
(0)

You ladies are inspiring me...I actually made it to the gym today. Thanks
(1)

They are a lot of exercises we can do without a gym. I have praticed strectching now when I vacuum, just go slower almost like tai chi ,probably spelled that wrong,put my music buds on and do the boring everyday housework that must be done.Did get my three 10 minute walks and slept great last nite, was too tired to do extra eating and also didn't have that anxiety that needed the food. Felt so good I was able to deal well with my mom's first snarky comment of the day because in the back of my mind I knew I would be doing a lot of things for myself today like excercise, take my meds, get me a shower,the basics but luxuries.
(1)

I found a couple more stay at home exercises that work well. One is just marching in place which can be done with or without any arm movements as well as holding on to something for balance if needed. Also wall pushups. Stand facing wall put arms out and hands against wall and do pushups against wall. You need to have feet back aways from wall. I got my heart pumping yesterday and even skipped chocolate candy for something fat free. I appreciate the support!
(3)

You can also do pushups off the kitchen counter! I try to do this.. maybe my bat wings will fly away?
(1)

Well,another MD appt. this AM (scheduled one).Will do my first walk when I get back, at least this isn't an 80mile roundtrip today.Was so tired last nite I fell asleep without my cpap on,finally remembered to put it one after a few hours(really makes a difference. I just realized I haven't mayonnaise for one whole week. I love that stuff.Really miss not being able to go walking right now,MD visit) but what 's good I am actually looking forward to some exercise.Not really worrying about calorie intake just getting in the extra exercise,worked great last nite as I was so tire, no night time eating.
(1)

Okay,so far so good. Just checking in . Did anybody else take a mini walk today? Please all caregivers please make, take, create at least 10 minutes a day just to exercise just for your even if it is just meditation,10 minutes just to yourselves,.
(2)

Anyone have evening cravings for comfort Food?
(1)

I haven't exercised yet today. It is getting pretty late here, uh oh. I have noticed though from just the couple of days of light exercising I could walk faster and move more fluidly, a younger type walk which was exciting. I am kind of hungry, but there isn't much to eat around here. Maybe just some chilled water would be refreshing and somewhat filling in its own way. Thanks for checking in with everyone Timbuktu. Glad you are doing well.
(0)

I have found that a protein bar knocks out the "hunger" feeling real quick. Also protein stabilizes your blood sugar better than carbs.Will keep you feeling full a long time.
(1)

Thanks for the tip about protein bars, I'll have to give them a try. I don't know what is going on lately but I am hungry all the time, even though I am eating properly. Maybe I'm getting ready for winter? lol
(1)

However , be careful about the protein bars, get the ones in the diabetic section at wal mart, the ones that are 21grams of protein and 160 calories per bar, not the most tasty thing but with a cup of coffee not to bad and it does knock out that gnawing hunger feeling,protein keeps your blood sugar on an even keel without the high and lows of sugar.
(1)

Going now, it's so early in a.m., but going for 10 minutes, because you said so!
(0)

Well I'll just say it. Did all caregivers remember to take THEIR meds today? No one ever seems to enquire how we are.
(3)

but I hate to take my shot timbuktu!! sigh, ok...shuffles to refrigerator.
(0)

Went for a short walk yesterday, boy was it nice to get outside!
(2)

Didn't make my walks today but did stay on my diet despite interactions with mother and that is a work out.
(0)

Well, took all my meds, housework done,mother "satisfied". I'm hitting the hay as this is my "danger " time to eat ,love eating in bed.
(1)

Just read that grapefruit juice is an appetite suppressant and diuretic. Enjoyed this stuff earlier this year, then stopped, wondering why I was so hungry, and gaining back 5 lbs. Will start that again, because it was good to be losing weight without trying.
Contraindicated with some meds.
(0)

Caregiving sometimes compel us to overmedicate ourselves with food. And it's either junk or calorie-rich meals. Can't go out on a date? Feed your face. Life isn't worth living? Stuff your face some more. Needy in-laws? Let's eat.

Wouldn't be so bad if we had a treadmill or a gym in the house; and used it for exercise instead of hanging our clothes to dry.

I'm not saying don't eat. Just watch what you eat so you can eat what you want.
(1)

You said it Eddie, food is my "drug" of choice.My husband means well but he is an enabler,he does all the cooking ,eats fast food, it isn't easy staying on a diet with someone who eats like that, and I won't nag him he is an adult but I did tell him quit using me as an excuse to go to Mcdonald's and get 2 of those huge breakfast biscuits with egg,ham oh lord they are good because it you set it in front of me I will eat it.My biggest struggle will be dealing with husband's behavior as I stay with a food plan,however, so far so good , he hasn't been to mcdonalds now for a week as I have quietly eased my way out of being his "food" buddy.
(2)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter